Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Outdoor (maybe rainy) recording  (Read 670 times)

Offline vanillablue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Outdoor (maybe rainy) recording
« on: March 20, 2024, 02:02:22 AM »
Hi,

I'm planning to do some recording at the Treefort music fest this week. My rig is SP-CMC-4U-->SP-SPSB-11-->PCM-A10. I've been taping for several years (I post on Dime as huskerdu1972) but mostly do clubs and small theaters in the SF Bay area. Don't usually do outdoor recordings, so I had a couple of questions:
- I had ordered some Sound Professionals windscreens, but unfortunately it looks like they won't arrive in time). What would you all recommend for homemade windscreens?
- the forecast calls for rain on Saturday and there's at least one band I want to tape outdoors. Assuming the show goes on, any tips for getting a decent recording in (hopefully light) rain?

Thanks much!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Outdoor (maybe rainy) recording
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 11:42:51 AM »
Safest to use more wind-screening than you might think.  May need none, but wind noise ruins otherwise good recordings. You can order Movo WS50 for ~$16 each and have them tomorrow.  You will need to figure a way to fit your small mics to the Movo windscreens, sealing any air leaks completely around the mic cable passing through the rear opening, but if you will be recording outside regularly this may be the best way to go.  I use even smaller mics in those same windscreens, centered using foam inserts from a set of dollar store hair curlers, sealed with gaff-tape. Alternately use foam windscreens from larger mics and wire-tie it snug around the mic cable exit.  Lacking that, raid a cushion for the open cell foam inside, cut out chunks of sufficient size, slit, insert mic, and wire-tie the opening closed.  Worked for Hendrix on Maui- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFfnlYbFEiE

Some will say to sew up some dead rats using faux fur, however I find foam works more effectively in most cases with less potential sonic degradation than DIY fur covers, and is easier to manage than less than acoustically optimized cheapo matted fur.

Wind-noise reduction is all about creating sufficient non-moving dead air space around each mic.  It has everything to do with the microphones directional pattern (the more directional the pattern, the more susceptible to wind noise - if really windy or if lacking sufficient windscreening, run omnis) and has nothing at all to do with the size of the microphone itself.  Small mics need just as much windscreening as large mics.

-------------

Rain is best avoided. If you want to brave it and keep recording there are steps you can take.  But be aware that it will often audibly impose itself on the recording anyway.  A couple options for the mics: Keep a plastic bag ready to throw over the mics - you will hear the droplets impact and the bag will rustle if there is wind.  Rig up a small umbrella over the mics and throw a small towel over the umbrella to minimize the droplet impact sound, or better a piece of non-woven filter material the same size as the umbrella that will break up the energy of the droplets without becoming saturated.  The umbrella can be deployed before the rain arrives so you needn't sit there wondering when to do something once it does, eliminating stress.  A baby stroller parasol works well.

Place your gear bag on a stool, hook it to the mic your stand, or otherwise support it off of the ground. Bring a thick garbage bag into which the recording bag and whatever else you need to keep dry will easily fit.  When the rain comes, you can put everything into the bag, seal it up, and needn't stop recording. When you do that, make sure the mic cables running into the bag form a loop that hangs down lower than their entry point into the bag.  That forms a "drip loop" preventing water running down the cables from entering the bag.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 11:48:34 AM »
Are you running card or omni caps? Cards will pick up about 10,000x as much wind noise. (All figures estimates.)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 12:04:54 PM »
You did not say if you are hand holding or running a stand.
If on a stand, I agree with gutbucket, go find a small stroller parasol. (clamps also helpful)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 12:28:39 PM »
My reply above indeed assumes mics on a stand.  If you are the mic stand, good windscreening will be much less critical. Dealing with rain may be easier or harder, depending, but all the same basic concerns apply.  If you can get away with using one an umbrella beats a rain hat, which in turn beats a hood.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline vanillablue

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 03:17:06 PM »
Are you running card or omni caps? Cards will pick up about 10,000x as much wind noise. (All figures estimates.)

Thanks so much!
I am running cards. The CMC-4U's will definitely pick up wind noise - they sometimes pick up AC vent noise in clubs - so your advice to have more protection is really helpful.

Offline vanillablue

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 03:26:20 PM »
[quote author=Gutbucket link=topic=204628.msg2409740#msg2409740 date=1710949371

Rain is best avoided. If you want to brave it and keep recording there are steps you can take.  But be aware that it will often audibly impose itself on the recording anyway.  A couple options for the mics: Keep a plastic bag ready to throw over the mics - you will hear the droplets impact and the bag will rustle if there is wind.  Rig up a small umbrella over the mics and throw a small towel over the umbrella to minimize the droplet impact sound, or better a piece of non-woven filter material the same size as the umbrella that will break up the energy of the droplets without becoming saturated.  The umbrella can be deployed before the rain arrives so you needn't sit there wondering when to do something once it does, eliminating stress.  A baby stroller parasol works well.

Place your gear bag on a stool, hook it to the mic your stand, or otherwise support it off of the ground. Bring a thick garbage bag into which the recording bag and whatever else you need to keep dry will easily fit.  When the rain comes, you can put everything into the bag, seal it up, and needn't stop recording. When you do that, make sure the mic cables running into the bag form a loop that hangs down lower than their entry point into the bag.  That forms a "drip loop" preventing water running down the cables from entering the bag.
[/quote]

You're right that it would be best to just avoid the rain. The thing is, it's my kid's band that is playing, so I'm parentally obligated to give it a shot  8)
I don't have a stand but I think there will be some chairs or stools around, so will bring a waterproof bag and do the best I can. Thanks for the advice!

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 03:33:45 PM »
FOH should have cover.  Find a way to place your mics under it.  Telling them your kid's performing may yield some clamp/stand space.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 11:57:44 PM »
FOH should have cover.  Find a way to place your mics under it.  Telling them your kid's performing may yield some clamp/stand space.

or a board feed?!?!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline vanillablue

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 05:05:59 PM »
Thanks for all the tips. In the end the weather cooperated with no rain and minimal wind, so I got a pretty good recording.

Offline bonghitwillie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 03:34:50 PM »
i jam econo. so i just put my recorder in a zip lock bag. i do this in situations where i leave it unattended but hidden, just in case someone spills a drink.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com