Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?  (Read 89649 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?
« Reply #285 on: November 22, 2019, 06:42:48 PM »
Bravo for approved media list!

the 32GB sandisk pro card (as well as its micro counterpart) was the most reliable in my testing

the 64 and 128GB sandisk card (and, well, every single other 64 and 128GB card i tested) ultimately failed

in general even cheap 32GB cards worked more reliably than

I would venture to guess that 95% of TS users havent seen or ever heard of Integral, Amplim, Freetail, and Wise brands, i heard of Wise and Integral from other TS users (and i think Wise was recommended to that user by Sound Devices.) As Integral is almost impossible to find in US, and the other 3 are considerably more expensive than average cards,unfortunately i dont see a large data pool of user data developing from these
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:44:35 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #286 on: November 22, 2019, 07:21:58 PM »
I would venture to guess that 95% of TS users havent seen or ever heard of Integral, Amplim, Freetail, and Wise brands, i heard of Wise and Integral from other TS users (and i think Wise was recommended to that user by Sound Devices.) As Integral is almost impossible to find in US, and the other 3 are considerably more expensive than average cards,unfortunately i dont see a large data pool of user data developing from these

I had only ever heard of Integral before.  The others I am just learning of today.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #287 on: November 22, 2019, 08:26:21 PM »

I had only ever heard of Integral before.  The others I am just learning of today.

theres a submarket for professional photographers/videographers. a lot of those are "Pro" cards with a "Pro" price
https://www.coremicro.com/wise-sd2-128u3-128gb-sdxc-uhs-ii-memory-card
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #288 on: November 22, 2019, 11:41:23 PM »

SanDisk in particular is known for having different model number cards on the market that have the exact same "headline" marketing info on the label.  I did some searching, and I think the SanDisk card on the MixPre list is SDSDXVE-032G-GNCIN, but can I be sure of that?  When I am buying an "approved" card, I want it to be the exact model which was tested.  Without that information, customers may be rolling the dice a bit.  Some users here have been burnt in the past by this.
When I search for the code you list here, I get a yellow label Sandisk that's only 90MB/Sec, not 95 like they list.
Try SDSDXXG-032G-GN4IN
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #289 on: November 23, 2019, 12:31:44 AM »

SanDisk in particular is known for having different model number cards on the market that have the exact same "headline" marketing info on the label.  I did some searching, and I think the SanDisk card on the MixPre list is SDSDXVE-032G-GNCIN, but can I be sure of that?  When I am buying an "approved" card, I want it to be the exact model which was tested.  Without that information, customers may be rolling the dice a bit.  Some users here have been burnt in the past by this.
When I search for the code you list here, I get a yellow label Sandisk that's only 90MB/Sec, not 95 like they list.
Try SDSDXXG-032G-GN4IN

thats the one i tested, it was flawless
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=191314.msg2312650#msg2312650

"Extreme" and "extreme pro" are different series

Offline voltronic

« Reply #290 on: November 23, 2019, 08:07:50 AM »

Try SDSDXXG-032G-GN4IN

Whoops; you're right.

That speaks to my point though: easy to make that mistake.  If approved media lists have the exact model number, then there's no question.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #291 on: November 23, 2019, 08:19:17 AM »

theres a submarket for professional photographers/videographers. a lot of those are "Pro" cards with a "Pro" price
https://www.coremicro.com/wise-sd2-128u3-128gb-sdxc-uhs-ii-memory-card

:o  Wow!  That's expensive!  If the speed ratings are to be believed, I can't think of anything that would approach those speeds, though.  It's like buying a Bugatti Chiron for narrow country roads.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline rick.lang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?
« Reply #292 on: November 25, 2019, 12:18:25 AM »
I’ve used the Wise SDXC 128GB UHS-II card successfully in the MixPre-6 II as I reported elsewhere.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #293 on: November 25, 2019, 08:57:37 AM »
"Damned if you do, damned if you don't", I guess.  Personally, despite the general lack of card issues, I am happy to see SD list some that they have tested and approved. A couple are cheap and easily accessible, too...

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #294 on: November 25, 2019, 09:27:19 PM »
This is a very good start and great to see that SD have acknowledged the need for proper card testing to help us customers. :)

The Integral cards are - at least for us Europeans - easily accessible.
They are priced very fair and performance is great. The support from the UK based Integral is superb.

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #295 on: November 26, 2019, 12:18:05 PM »
There’s a new firmware update 5.00 and I’m hoping that Timecode generation for all frame rates now perform as well as 23.976 fps.  Toes crossed.

Download v5.00
Firmware version 5.00 is now available for the MixPre II Series, MixPre Original Series, and MixPre-M Series! Download today for useful improvements and features, including flexible USB output routing, USB hub support, expanded support for HDMI timecode triggering, support for the new MixAssist Plugin, and more.

Visit the Plugin Store

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #296 on: November 26, 2019, 12:31:55 PM »
And that new $100 MixAssist plugin may be a worthy addition to the MixPre adding functionality available on the higher end devices. 

https://store.sounddevices.com/product/mixassist-plugin/

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #297 on: November 26, 2019, 12:37:36 PM »
Complete list of changes and fixes.

New:

•Support for optional MixAssist automixer plugin.
•MixAssist reduces ambient noise and reverberation when mixing and recording with multiple microphones. The advanced automixer incorporates multiple proprietary algorithms for reducing noise and phase artifacts, including Noise Adaptive Threshold, MaxBus, Last Mic Lock-on, Off-Attenuation, and NOMA (Number of Open Mic Attenuator).
•The MixAssist Plugin is available for purchase at the Sound Devices Plugin Store. (available for MixPre-3, -6, 10T, -3 II, -6, II, and 10 II).
•Flexible USB Output routing. The new USB Output routing matrix allows control of what signals are sent to the computer and in which order they get sent. The matrix allows for mix-minus and selection between pre-fade vs. post-fade isolated channels (M models and music projects allow post-fade only).
•Sound Reports added to MixPre-3, MixPre-6, MixPre-3 II, and MixPre-6 II.
•Expanded list of cameras supported for HDMI timecode and triggers including cameras from Blackmagic, Canon, Nikon, and Fujifilm in addition to the already supported Sony and Panasonic cameras.
•USB Hub support: connect and simultaneously use a USB keyboard, USB Controller, and a USB Thumb-drive via a USB Hub.
Note: USB Drives are supported by the MixPre-3 II, MixPre-6 II, MixPre-10 II, MixPre-10M, and MixPre-10T.
•USB Auto-Copy copying status now more prominent: status is displayed on all meter view status bars and by a flashing record LED in stop mode.
•USB Auto-Copy can now be suspended when powering down the MixPre and auto-resume when powered back on.
•Quicker front panel knob response for low latency fader adjustments
•Improvements to reduce power consumption. Unused channels can be set to Off when not in use to maximize battery life.
•USB Audio Class 1 (Windows without ASIO driver) now supports up to 96 kHz sample rates.
•Music Mode (MixPre M models) now allow USB returns from a computer to be routed directly to headphones, bypassing the need to route it to a channel.
•Channel screen usability improvements for more immediate access to channel gain and solo.
 -Trim gain is automatically selected when entering a channel screen
 -New menu option to automatically solo the channel when entering a channel screen
 -Removed time out when setting parameters

Fixed:
•Various improvements to USB Drive Auto-Copy feature.
•Various improvements to SD Card performance.
•Rare instances where MixPre boots up with a black screen have been eliminated.
•MixPre-10T and MixPre-10 II no longer ignore record triggers from Aux In timecode.
•MixPre recorded files no longer show 00:00:00:00 timecode and duration values in the Wingman Take List.
•Rare instances of Left track meter activity freezes no longer occur.
•System lock up no longer occurs when attempting to load a music project from a formatted SD card.
•Audible click no longer occurs when turning the slate mic on or off.
•Sound Report Bit Depth field for 32-Bit files are no longer left blank.
•Record Run values are now properly held over power cycles.
•System lock up when quickly entering record after opening a pre-existing project no longer occurs.
•Power switch is no longer unresponsive after rapidly switching between music and audio projects.
•System lock up no longer occurs when turning on pre-roll with no armed tracks.
•Front panel knob levels between 91 and 96 dB in 32-Bit mode no longer attenuate the signal.
•Improved switching between 32-Bit Float, Ambisonics, and Music modes to improve overall system stability. 
•Various noises have been eradicated when tone generator is active and changes are made to sample rates or transport states.
•Noise on channels when restoring defaults from Ambisonics mode has been eliminated.
•Timecode jam screen on MixPre-10T and MixPre-10 II no longer freezes when there is no incoming timecode signal present.
•USB Controllers can no longer mute a channel in basic audio mode.
•Extra channels (5 and 6 on MixPre-6/II and 9 and 10 on MixPre-10T/II) no longer send live signal instead of the recorded track to the headphone monitor during playback.
•Extra channels 9 and 10 on a MixPre-10T/II no longer switch to off after activating the slate mic. 
•Improved the accuracy of the Timecode Jam menu difference display.
•Various system enhancements and improvements.

Wingman v5.00
•Sound Reports are now available for MixPre-3/II and MixPre-6/II.
•MixPre recorded files no longer show 00:00:00:00 timecode and duration values in the Wingman Take List.
•Track arm indicators no longer flicker green during playback in music projects.
•Rare application crash when splitting recording no longer occurs.
•Android Take List is now called File List to be consistent with iOS version.
•False Take button is now grayed out in Basic mode on Android.
•Various display fixes for iOS Dark Mode.

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #298 on: November 26, 2019, 01:08:34 PM »
I wonder if improving the accuracy of the Jam menu difference display relates to the apparent occasional loss of Timecode sync that always occurs for me when recording in frame rates other than the reliable 23.976.  Maybe.  I guess I’ll find out soon enough.  Release 5 and MixAssist are fantastic upgrades by the look of it. 

Drivers, start your engines... Test!

Just read the User Guide for MixAssist.  Cannot be uninstalled by design, but it can be activated and deactivated so that ‘never’ shouldn’t be too scary.

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #299 on: November 26, 2019, 09:51:17 PM »
Spotted this on FB today. Posted byPaul Isaacs of SD...

You may be interested to know that Wave Agent WILL import, edit, and split 32 bit float files now BUT it will NOT playback 32-bit float audio.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com