Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church Audio UBB Issue  (Read 2708 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Church Audio UBB Issue
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2024, 04:24:54 PM »
I have to say, this thread kind of infuriates me, although that is informed by my own interactions with Mr. Church. How hard is it, when you are selling things to people, to take an extra two minutes to plug it into a test set and make sure it works? He is a real piece of work. At this point, I am a little hesitant to buy bespoke gear, because, when they get out of the game, it can be difficult to repair or replace. I have an Aerco; I love it, and Jerry made it for me, but, since his passing, I worry about its long term health. Same with, for example, Guy. I think if I went Schoeps, I would buy nBoxes, and I love Ted's cables, but otherwise I much prefer to buy from a manufacturer that might still be around 5 or 10 years from now.

Online nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2024, 06:53:08 PM »
I have to say, this thread kind of infuriates me, although that is informed by my own interactions with Mr. Church. How hard is it, when you are selling things to people, to take an extra two minutes to plug it into a test set and make sure it works? He is a real piece of work. At this point, I am a little hesitant to buy bespoke gear, because, when they get out of the game, it can be difficult to repair or replace. I have an Aerco; I love it, and Jerry made it for me, but, since his passing, I worry about its long term health. Same with, for example, Guy. I think if I went Schoeps, I would buy nBoxes, and I love Ted's cables, but otherwise I much prefer to buy from a manufacturer that might still be around 5 or 10 years from now.

Is there a good alternative to Chris for a minimal battery box in the UBB style? If not, joeldotc may have a side hustle ahead of him...

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2024, 07:28:14 PM »

Is there a good alternative to Chris for a minimal battery box in the UBB style? If not, joeldotc may have a side hustle ahead of him...
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=195797.0
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Online nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2024, 07:34:32 PM »

Thanks — I meant someone building and selling them to people with minimal soldering iron skills, though.

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2024, 07:36:05 PM »

Thanks — I meant someone building and selling them to people with minimal soldering iron skills, though.
Yeah, giving him the recipe to go into business....
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Online nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2024, 07:37:21 PM »
Yeah, giving him the recipe to go into business....

I endorse that plan! I'll place a preorder, even.

Offline joeldotc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2024, 09:46:49 PM »
Finally got the chance to check the UBB with a multimeter. It must just be really messed up on the inside. When I connect the battery straight to it, no power goes to the mic input jack, but there is 9 V going to the output cable.

When I do the reverse polarizing thing, 2.8 V gets to the mic input jack, but it's flowing backwards, and then the 9 V stays flowing to the output cable, but is also flowing backwards. So it's not just "wired backwards", there must be a resistor in the wrong spot or something.

This could explain why the recording looked like it was getting low power from the batteries (which I also tested, and they are fully charged + there were no issues with my jury rigging, it got full flow through it). By the way, the recording got salvaged by doing a phase rotation in my DAW - it sounds pretty good now. Gonna get a friend who is way better at mastering to do a proper phase rotation/repair in Izotope RX.

Weird stuff!

Anyways, this is going back off to Chris ASAP.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 09:49:36 PM by joeldotc »

Online nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2024, 09:53:32 PM »
Oy! Good luck with the repair - and good to know about the phase rotation trick, I have some dying-battery recordings I may try it on.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2024, 12:37:21 PM »

Sorry for your loss
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2024, 08:30:29 AM »
Finally got the chance to check the UBB with a multimeter. It must just be really messed up on the inside. When I connect the battery straight to it, no power goes to the mic input jack, but there is 9 V going to the output cable.

When I do the reverse polarizing thing, 2.8 V gets to the mic input jack, but it's flowing backwards, and then the 9 V stays flowing to the output cable, but is also flowing backwards. So it's not just "wired backwards", there must be a resistor in the wrong spot or something.

This could explain why the recording looked like it was getting low power from the batteries (which I also tested, and they are fully charged + there were no issues with my jury rigging, it got full flow through it). By the way, the recording got salvaged by doing a phase rotation in my DAW - it sounds pretty good now. Gonna get a friend who is way better at mastering to do a proper phase rotation/repair in Izotope RX.

Weird stuff!

Sounds like he wired the DC blocking capacitor in backwards, among other issues. 🤡

OP I have a homemade battery box I can loan (or sell) you while Chris takes his time doing what he does. PM me if interested.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 09:47:25 AM by DavidPuddy »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline joeldotc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2024, 11:00:59 PM »
Sounds like he wired the DC blocking capacitor in backwards, among other issues. 🤡

OP I have a homemade battery box I can loan (or sell) you while Chris takes his time doing what he does. PM me if interested.

I actually just got all the parts in to build my own! Thank you for the offer though :)

I’ve been trying to replicate the issue using a breadboard but I can’t figure it out - oh well. Gonna fire up the soldering station sometime this week.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2024, 11:23:49 AM »

Good luck.

Its time for a poll.  When do we think you get a replacement/repair?

A.  By June 2024
B.  Sometime in 2024
C.  2025
D.  2026
E.  2027 or later?

I would pick D

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2024, 11:36:46 AM »

Good luck.

A.  By June 2024
B.  Sometime in 2024
C.  2025
D.  2026
E.  2027 or later?

I would pick D

You forgot to list

F: After vacation
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2024, 12:44:59 PM »

Good luck.

A.  By June 2024
B.  Sometime in 2024
C.  2025
D.  2026
E.  2027 or later?

I would pick D

He still hasn’t fixed my faulty 9200 and it’s been since 2017😳

Offline joeldotc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2024, 01:17:51 PM »
Haha - yeah, I'm not holding my breath.

He said "Ok once I get it I will send out a replacement. Or repair this one."

My vote is 2025.

He still hasn’t fixed my faulty 9200 and it’s been since 2017😳

That's crazy - not that it's unexpected for him - at least the BB only costs like $50 and is easy to DIY.

By the way, here is how that recording ended up - it got combined with a recording from my friend who was using the internal mics on the h4n pro, but the h4n recording was rolled off above 250 Hz, so it was just to add some more bass to the mix.

https://archive.org/details/gybe2024-02-28.CA14_H4n

The distortion of the mics makes it sound like they played super loud (particularly in the 4th and 5th tracks), but they actually played relatively quiet that night. Still sounds quite good imo.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com