Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CDwave 24-bit convert on save  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
CDwave 24-bit convert on save
« on: August 27, 2006, 12:53:09 PM »
When tracking archived masters I open the master file that has been flac encoded.  when I save the tracks, I select convert to WAV and set the 24b-96k settings.  The wave files are written but they include the fmt sub-chunk that flac does not like.  every other editor is OK with the wave files.

Is there any way to specify the alternate wave format when performing a conversion at save time?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
Re: CDwave 24-bit convert on save
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 10:44:49 PM »
My guess is that it is either a pad chunk or seektable causing the problem

On the flac portion, you might try re-encoding with the following options and then and decoding to see if it makes any difference.

--no-padding --no-seektable

Gordon
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 09:03:35 AM by live2496 »
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 09:07:10 PM »
When tracking archived masters I open the master file that has been flac encoded.  when I save the tracks, I select convert to WAV and set the 24b-96k settings.  The wave files are written but they include the fmt sub-chunk that flac does not like.  every other editor is OK with the wave files.

Is there any way to specify the alternate wave format when performing a conversion at save time?

See this thread. http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=66641.0

It mentions saving to an alternate format from CDWAV.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 10:44:32 AM »

See this thread. http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=66641.0

It mentions saving to an alternate format from CDWAV.

Yup, that's the trick.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 09:22:24 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I actually figured out what to do.  That alternate wave format is the trick, but i was using the save function in a way that the option was not made available.

I was tracking a flac encoded master.  When I saved the tracks to disc, I expected a save without conversion would write out flacs.  I wanted wav files so I selected "convert to wave".  When the save dialog is in that mode, it does not offer the option of saving in the alternate format.  So I got wav files that command line flac didn't like.

What I figured out is that if you are tracking a flac encoded master and you select save tracks with no format conversion, it actually does convert the format and save the tracks as wav files rather than as flac files.  I think that dialog should include the "alternate wav format" switch when the format conversion is set to store as WAV and I think it should save the tracks as flac encoded files if the master is flac encoded. 

In anycase, I know what I need to do to get the desired output.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 09:24:09 PM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com