Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)  (Read 145236 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)
« Reply #525 on: October 01, 2023, 03:49:23 PM »
Firmware v.2.00 was released back on 7/28/2023. It includes a number of new features, most notable of which is the ability to use 32-bit float in interface mode. There is a supplementary manual on the support page which details the new functions.

https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/field-recorders/field-recorders/f6/f6-support/
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline santosgonzalez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #526 on: November 20, 2023, 06:35:21 PM »
Hi All, I have a question regarding the recording levels of the F6. I'm comparing the recordings of 3 line inputs (32-bit float) on the F6. I noticed, as also discussed previously on this thread, that the knobs change the recording levels. This hinders the comparison greatly. Is there any way to turn this off? Or find what the fader setting were for each recorder?

Currently, I'm just turning the knobs by hand every time to ensure they are at the same level, which is getting a bit annoying...

Offline voltronic

« Reply #527 on: November 21, 2023, 05:44:48 AM »
All you need to do is link the channel adjustments together on one knob.

Menu > Input > Link Setting
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline santosgonzalez

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #528 on: November 21, 2023, 07:15:07 PM »
Thanks voltronic! That is perfect, can't believe I missed that in the manual!

Offline voltronic

« Reply #529 on: November 22, 2023, 08:21:41 AM »
Thanks voltronic! That is perfect, can't believe I missed that in the manual!

You're welcome. It's quite a handy feature.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #530 on: December 06, 2023, 10:04:03 PM »
I am sad to report a somewhat negative development with my F6, and with my opinion on Zoom overall.

About 6 weeks ago I reached down to adjust my F6 and accidentally snagged one of the mic cables, knocking it off the Pelican case it was sitting on and onto the tile floor (about a 6 inch drop). It fell onto the attached NP-F battery, and the battery was now loose in its mount. I carefully set it down, and was able to keep recording the concert (the battery was still electrically connected). When I got home I got a close look at what had happened.

If you are familiar with these batteries, you know that they connect to two terminals on your equipment while four tabs slide into tracks on the sides of the battery which hold it flush against the mounting plate, with a latch of some sort to keep the battery from sliding out. It seems that all four of these side tabs had snapped off my F6, leaving only the terminals and the latch (which now doesn't latch because the battery isn't properly held against the mounting plate). From the areas where the tabs broke, I could see that the entire back plate is molded from plastic that is rather thin.

I reached out to Zoom technical support, explained what had happened, and asked if I could send my unit in for repair. No, they do not do repairs. I asked if they could sell me the battery plate separately, and I would gladly void my warranty and replace the part myself. No, they cannot sell parts. I asked if their service centers had any non-working F6 units they could send me that I could cannibalize parts from. No, they do not keep broken units on hand.

The agent then offered that I could trade my F6 in for a new one, at a cost of $300 plus shipping. I said that it shouldn't cost me $300 because a cheaply-made plastic part broke, and it made no sense to completely replace a unit that otherwise still functioned perfectly. There was nothing else the agent could do, so I declined.

Since then, I have been gaff taping the NP battery to the recorder. This works, but it's kludgy, and the whole experience irritated me. Obviously I could use a USB-C power bank and go on my merry way, but that's specifically what I wanted to avoid by using the NP-F batteries. They run forever and eliminate a potential failure point of having a cable to an external power source. It's one of my favorite things about the F6.

I've been a strong proponent of the Zoom F series recorders, thinking they had finally stepped up their game into "pro" level. But now I'm beginning to see how they save costs, and that they really are not yet in the same league as the established professional brands. The materials are not as high quality, and the hardware isn't made to be repairable.

I had already been thinking that down the road that eventually I will want 8 inputs, as I'm using 6 more frequently. The F8n PRO had been a candidate, but this experience has me questioning whether or not I want to give Zoom more of my money right now. I want something that is built to last with a company that will stand behind it for the long haul. I got to talking to some professional classical engineers who I respect very highly on Gearspace Remote Possibilities, and they convinced me that the best value proposition for me would be to pursue a used Sound Devices 788T-SSD. Many of them rely on the 788 every day. Yes, these are now rather old, but the 788 is superior to the F-series (and the SD MixPre-II line for that matter) in pretty much every category, particularly build quality, repair-ability, and support. I would lose the auto-ranging DACs and 32-bit float recording which I enjoy greatly, but I would be gaining pretty much everywhere else. Previously these units were priced in the stratosphere as it was Sound Devices' flagship recorder, but now used units in good condition can be had for very low prices. So, this tank is now on its way to me for a 7-day free trial. Assuming I keep it, I will probably also keep my F6 but it will be relegated to backup duties for now.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline BlueSky71

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #531 on: December 06, 2023, 10:35:06 PM »
Volt, I can sense your frustration and thanks for the heads up on the external battery. I have always used a 6" right angle USB-C's with my zooms. Never an issue with disconnects and always enough run time. And to be clear, I am the biggest offender of not having a proper gear bag at jam shows. I generally leave them on top of a padded bag, as it seems you may have that night. It's clear you are a big proponent of Zoom recorders, or had been anyways, and while this experience may have been disappointing, I have to guess that the F8 would prove to be absolutely amazing for all the reasons you already know. Buy one on Amazon, you would have till 1/31 to return it...

Personally, if that old 788 showed up at my place I would be sending it back before I even used it. To each their own.

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #532 on: December 07, 2023, 01:28:49 AM »
Ohhh that frustrates me as well beyond belief.

When something or someone is soo close to achieving the upper standard they easily could do but don’t.
Once all disciplines within a corporation worked in harmony to deliver to their brand reputation and position. But today it feels as it’s something of the past only. Fasted paced development in some key areas but not all and definitely not through out the whole organisation and the products lifecycle.

Good specs and great hero shots for social media appear to be more important. Together with new revisions and scheduled EOL from start. Rinse and repeat.

Perhaps I’m getting too old only.

Offline SMsound

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #533 on: December 07, 2023, 01:35:55 AM »
.. But now I'm beginning to see how they save costs, and that they really are not yet in the same league as the established professional brands. The materials are not as high quality, and the hardware isn't made to be repairable...

I am surprised they would not want to compete with Sound Devices in terms of service as well, as Zoom clearly seems to want to compete in terms of products. Sound Devices mailed me a small replacement part for free on two separate occasions when I explained that it had broken (time #1) or that I had lost the part (time #2).

Someone on the industry/location sound groups, or possibly one of the LA sound places (Trew?) might have a dead unit to sell you for less $. Or maybe the Field Recording guys, who subject their equipment to all sorts of weather.
waves -> bits

Offline grawk

• Taperssection Member
q1q
« Reply #534 on: December 07, 2023, 07:07:52 AM »
+
Personally, if that old 788 showed up at my place I would be sending it back before I even used it. To each their own.

Have you used a 788?  I run a 552 in front of my F6, but I debate whether I should have just gone to a 788 from the beginning.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #535 on: December 07, 2023, 09:04:00 AM »
Have you tried contacting them again in hopes of getting a different person and a different answer? Or maybe try someone at Sweetwater to see if they have any non working F6's. 
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline BlueSky71

• Taperssection Regular
Re: q1q
« Reply #536 on: December 07, 2023, 09:09:40 AM »
+

Have you used a 788?  I run a 552 in front of my F6, but I debate whether I should have just gone to a 788 from the beginning.

I have not, it looks antiquated to me, but I know they have a stellar reputation. I just watched this review and appreciate it more than before. I am curious whether or not Voltronic thinks it's and upgrade in some way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtBmRGwnFoo

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #537 on: December 07, 2023, 09:47:17 AM »
Bummer.

The only Zoom recorder I've had hands-on experience with is the F8.  I was skeptical of Zoom prior to the F8, but that recorder changed my opinion, which has grown more favorable over the past 6 years or so that I've been using it.  Its been robust, dependable, simple to use and has a few features the SD recorders do not that are important to me, such as standard size XLR inputs for all channels.  I don't want to have to use adapter cables to access the channel 5-8 inputs.  Its those kind of little practical things that have kept me from moving from the F8 to an SD machine, each time I reassess that decision. A generously sized Tallentcell battery has worked fine for me into the coaxial power input, so I personally don't miss the NP-F feature, but full agree it would be more useful and appropriate on the F8 than that proprietary Zoom mic connector.  I am considering moving from the original F8 to a N or Pro model though.

That said, I've never had to deal with Zoom support or repair.  On that front I expect little comparison and SD to provide superior service.  I'll use it until I break it and buy another or move to something else at that point I suppose.  I'm okay with that, but the calculus will be different for different folks.

With regard to repairing your damage unit, might it be possible to permanently epoxy-in-place a different, more-robust NP-F battery-mount plate on top of the old one?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 02:23:07 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #538 on: December 07, 2023, 10:41:13 AM »
Clarity:  This not about a Zoom manufacturing issue.  Its about damaging your own gear.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #539 on: December 07, 2023, 10:56:36 AM »
Not a manufacting issue but a repair / repair-support issue.. the root of which was tied to a design choice made by Zoom which Voltronic is also questioning.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com