Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-05  (Read 22382 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Roland R-05
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 04:27:31 PM »
I've recently lost use of a channel on the line level input...this was a notorious problem on the old r-09 (which oddly hasn't happened to mine yet)....is there a way to fix this? is there someone I can send it to?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much,
Kyle

Reading through the old thread on this recorder you'll find the connections fail in the input chips, losing one or both channels even under fairly gentle use.  A factory repair is more than the recorder is worth.  I sold mine to someone who planned to tinker with it.  They put in a new input sleeve (removing the internal mics) and somehow bypassed the fault but whoever does it really needs to know what they're doing...
This was an issue on the R09, but has not been an issue with the R-05.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline flyingv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2016, 04:01:12 AM »
One more question guys..
Like i said i already own an R-05, if i will buy me a church package, CA 9200 Preamp & CA 14 Cardioid mics for Rock and metal shows at venues with like 2000-15000 fans, would this work out or would you buy other equipment?  :)

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2016, 10:58:30 AM »
One more question guys..
Like i said i already own an R-05, if i will buy me a church package, CA 9200 Preamp & CA 14 Cardioid mics for Rock and metal shows at venues with like 2000-15000 fans, would this work out or would you buy other equipment?  :)

Open or stealthing, the CA-14s will serve you well. I used them for about five years for both. I preferred to stealth with the omnis and get close to the sound source. Running open indoors and/or in places with less than perfect sound, I ran cards. YMMV.

That said if you need them soon, buy used. You will wait a long time for new CA product.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline flyingv

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »
One more question guys..

Open or stealthing, the CA-14s will serve you well. I used them for about five years for both. I preferred to stealth with the omnis and get close to the sound source. Running open indoors and/or in places with less than perfect sound, I ran cards. YMMV.

That said if you need them soon, buy used. You will wait a long time for new CA product.
Most of the time i will be stealthing i guess, i have to look for some used ones.. otherwise i'll have to order new ones soon!

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2016, 03:29:28 PM »
One more question guys..

Most of the time i will be stealthing i guess, i have to look for some used ones.. otherwise i'll have to order new ones soon!

Agreed with hoppedup that you'll do well with the CA-14s; Chris makes great gear, it can just take a while to get.  The only thing I would add is, seeing that you appear to be stealthing rock and metal shows, that I don't think you'll get much practical use from a preamp.  Easier to stealth and much simpler to use, I think you'll be fine using just a battery box.  However, if the Church package is the same price whether you get either a preamp or battery box, you might as well go for the preamp.  My .02 cents. 

Offline jeenash

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »
I've recently lost use of a channel on the line level input...this was a notorious problem on the old r-09 (which oddly hasn't happened to mine yet)....is there a way to fix this? is there someone I can send it to?

Thanks so much,
Kyle

Reading through the old thread on this recorder you'll find the connections fail in the input chips, losing one or both channels even under fairly gentle use.  A factory repair is more than the recorder is worth.  I sold mine to someone who planned to tinker with it.  They put in a new input sleeve (removing the internal mics) and somehow bypassed the fault but whoever does it really needs to know what they're doing... 

I think I was the one who bought your R-05. The problem I found was that the mic and line inputs are just surface soldered to the board. Eventually, stress delaminates the solder point off the board. I couldn't find a suitable replacement jack and even if I did the solder point wasn't able to be re-soldered. I was able to get a jack that fit into the internal mic shell with a little modification and hot glue. As far as the connection went, I had to trace out and connect a wire to the next component in the circuit. The mic input no longer works and I sacrificed the internal mics but I would never use either anyway. So far, the line input has worked flawlessly. It did take 7-8 hours of "tinkering" so it's probably not worth paying someone to repair but it's not worth throwing one away if you're good at soldering.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2016, 09:14:22 PM »

Thanks so much,
Kyle

This was an issue on the R09, but has not been an issue with the R-05.

Nope.  See immediately above ^ for the evidence (which I did own)... 

I wasn't the only one with that problem with the R-05.  I didn't get what I would consider to be a full life span out of it and I was not a heavy taper and one who when I did go in 007 mode would have it out in the open in my lap or on a chair, so it wasn't getting banged around in a pocket. 

It was a decent recorder and served me fairly well until it crapped out but I'm much happier with the M-10 that replaced it. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2016, 06:08:27 AM »
I owned 3 R-09's all of them had the input jack failure issue. I owned 1 r-09hr which got a ton of use and did not die from jack failure but a cracked display and then in 2013 I got a R-05 that has been rock solid for roughly 200+ shows. I think any input jack can fail with wear and tear but the original r-09 had a design flaw that caused the input jack to fail quickly.  I've never used a m-10 but I've yet to hear anybody say they had any kind of failure with one.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 03:02:46 PM »
I owned 3 R-09's all of them had the input jack failure issue. I owned 1 r-09hr which got a ton of use and did not die from jack failure but a cracked display and then in 2013 I got a R-05 that has been rock solid for roughly 200+ shows. I think any input jack can fail with wear and tear but the original r-09 had a design flaw that caused the input jack to fail quickly.  I've never used a m-10 but I've yet to hear anybody say they had any kind of failure with one.
I'd agree with Perks. I have had 3 R-05's. On one the lock eventually failed, so I sold it on eBay to a very happy guitarist. I use 2 of them pretty regularly close to once a week on average, and have never had a jack issue.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2016, 05:25:29 PM »
Never had issues with my r-05's

Recorded over well over 100 shows with them.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline klingklang

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2016, 03:36:14 AM »
I've been browsing the various R-05 threads, but I just wanted to pop on here and ask about the unity gain on the R-05.  It's 40, correct?

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2016, 11:51:57 AM »
^  40 seems a bit high to me.  Depends on the preamp you're putting in front of it, but in my experience it has been between 22 and 26 on the R-05; this is using the slate tone on various Sound Devices products. 

If you have the time and inclination, one of our resident experts, DSatz, started a thread several years ago regarding "the myth of unity gain" and how we tend to misuse that term.  Interesting reading. > http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=152494.0

Edit to add: Yet another interesting post from DSatz regarding unity gain. > http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=143004.0
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 12:24:44 PM by Fried Chicken Boy »

Offline klingklang

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2016, 02:55:59 AM »
Thanks a lot for the info and for the links to those threads. I'll read those more thoroughly when my feeble brain can focus more than it wants to right now  :)

All I was able to find before that were:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=148216 and http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=163875 and both mentioned it around 40, like how the R09HR is.  But it didn't sound definitive and was from some years back, which is why I was curious.

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2016, 07:20:45 AM »
I think any input jack can fail with wear and tear but the original r-09 had a design flaw that caused the input jack to fail quickly.  I've never used a m-10 but I've yet to hear anybody say they had any kind of failure with one.

You could try my R-09 jack compression fix: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=164511.msg2058467

My R-09 still works, but I mainly use an M10 for battery life and 5s pre-record buffer.  I have 2 M10s and still sometimes use the R-09 when I want a 3rd rig, though.

Now I'm wondering if I should get a 3rd M10 or (my first) R-05...

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2016, 10:39:24 AM »
I think any input jack can fail with wear and tear but the original r-09 had a design flaw that caused the input jack to fail quickly.  I've never used a m-10 but I've yet to hear anybody say they had any kind of failure with one.

Now I'm wondering if I should get a 3rd M10 or (my first) R-05...

R-05.

I know the M10 is a favourite on this board, but I seriously think the r-05 has a better design for stealth.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com