Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: Color Printer vs. Online Photo Lab  (Read 2472 times)

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
TSKB: Color Printer vs. Online Photo Lab
« on: March 26, 2008, 05:09:12 PM »
For an amateur photographer, is it more cost effective to utilize online photo labs to get those 'money shots' put on standard (5"x7", 8"x10", etc.) high quality photo paper or invest in a decent printer?

I can see the need for a professional to have a nice photo printer at their home, but for the amateur it seems a little overboard.  Plus, the price range that I would be interested in would probably not produce the quality like a true lab would (that periodically maintains / calibrates their equipment).

Is there a general concensus on this topic? 
What are some good online photo labs with good quality & prices?
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TSKB: Color Printer vs. Online Photo Lab
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 05:59:49 PM »
When you want to get a picture printed Right Now.. to make a gift card or whatever, having a printer at home is great.  I do recommend you refill your own carts if you go that route.  It is easy and you'll save a Lot. Getting the color map right on a home printer can be difficult unless you do trial and error... and the prints just don't last.

Sam's club and Costco both have good printing services, especially costco. They both typically use Frontier machines and fuji paper. There are companies that test the costco printer results and produce custom ICC colormap profiles for specific locations.  Using those should allow you to get consistent color.  If you search on costco, frontier, workflow, icc, etc, you'll get some good info.

I haven't used the internet print services.  Sam's and costco are pretty convenient.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 07:53:57 PM »
White House Custom Color is the only place I use online. I've heard good things about Costco if you can find a profile for your location. I rarely need anything so immediately that I can't wait for WHCC.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 11:58:35 PM »
Everything i do is either from White House or MPix.  MPix is a bit more of a consumer oriented site so for smaller orders it is the way to go but WHCC for bigger volume orders rocks. And you always get a lollipop.  The cost of Ink & paper for a decent ink jet (Canon or Epson) just makes is cheaper to order online, plus I prefer the luster paper the pro labs use and their color and print quality is always top notch.  I have a Epson photo printer that actually can make some great looking prints but for me it's not worth the hassle, I click a few buttons and the prints show up in the mail.

One hint, invest in a Pantone Huey so you can calibrate your monitor.  It saves me so much time and money and I can rely on the colors being right.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 01:24:49 AM »
I will concur with the above.  Tried the printer route, and while it is decent, doesn't compare with the quality and price point as online.  I use mpix.  Am registered with WHCC but haven't used them, yet (except for the free samples).

make sure you get a monitor calibrater.  Makes a huge difference.  Pantone huey is cost effective, think I paid 50 or 60 on amazon.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com