Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Kind Kables questions  (Read 6449 times)

Offline strangetapes

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Kind Kables questions
« on: May 29, 2008, 06:21:31 PM »
Do any of you have any opinons (not that anyone on here would have an opinion ::) ) on the Chameleon Ultra cables?  Would I be better off just going with the starquads?

Also, I know that there are some problems using the RA connectors with the SD 7xx.  Will I be able to use these with my 7xx.

Thanks for any insight.

Bill
Neumann SKM 184's; Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4
V3
SD722; R44

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
Re: Kind Kables questions
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:04:43 PM »
hey bill
the nice thing about the chameleon ultras is the chopped/shorty right angle connectors, they work great with the
7xx series recorders.  the star quad is too big and you have to use the full sized connectors, which do work, but they take up much more space.
both cables sound pretty much the same, soundwise it doesn't make much difference.  i would go with the chameleon ultra in your situation. you could also go with the new silver line with the silver clad cable and chopped/shorty connectors.
thanks
ed
kindkables.com 
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 08:33:39 AM »
Hands down, Ed makes great cables. I had a set of his Ultra Stealth cables and loved them. Great craftsmanship, very light weight and worked excellent with the SD702.

One thing to consider is which bag you will be using. I didn't think it would matter and found out otherwise. With the Portabrace AR-7, I preferred to have straight connectors coming out of the 702 instead of the RA connectors. I'm sure Ed would accommodate for any situation though.

Hope that helps and keep up the great work, Ed!   ;D
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline strangetapes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:45:47 PM »
hey bill
the nice thing about the chameleon ultras is the chopped/shorty right angle connectors, they work great with the
7xx series recorders.  the star quad is too big and you have to use the full sized connectors, which do work, but they take up much more space.
both cables sound pretty much the same, soundwise it doesn't make much difference.  i would go with the chameleon ultra in your situation. you could also go with the new silver line with the silver clad cable and chopped/shorty connectors.
thanks
ed
kindkables.com 

Thanks Ed,

I'll be giving you a call in the next week.  I've always been  happy with the copper cables so I don't see making the price jump to the silvers right now.  Maybe someday.
V3
SD722; R44

Offline strangetapes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 01:51:53 PM »
Hands down, Ed makes great cables. I had a set of his Ultra Stealth cables and loved them. Great craftsmanship, very light weight and worked excellent with the SD702.

One thing to consider is which bag you will be using. I didn't think it would matter and found out otherwise. With the Portabrace AR-7, I preferred to have straight connectors coming out of the 702 instead of the RA connectors. I'm sure Ed would accommodate for any situation though.

Hope that helps and keep up the great work, Ed!   ;D

Thanks for the feedback, I am using a big quantaray camera bag so the RA plugs are the way to go.  When I'm indoors I run with the deck sitting on the bag but outdoors with all the dust and whatnot I would like to keep them in the safety of the bag hence RA.
V3
SD722; R44

Offline strangetapes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 01:55:05 PM »
And my first +t to both of you.
V3
SD722; R44

Offline willyp523

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 03:17:10 PM »
I just recently received my Chameleon Ultras from Ed.  Haven't had a chance to use them in the field yet, but in testing at home everything looks and sounds good.  The cable is really lightweight.
Peluso cemc6 ck4/ck21/ck41...Line Audio CM3

Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70D, Sound Devices MixPre 6

Panasonic Lumix ZS3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/willyp523

https://www.youtube.com/user/willyp523/videos

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 10:34:59 PM »
I have a full set of kindkables for my 702..  mini xlr to rca / ta3 to male and female  XLR / 1/8th to 1/8th etc... all are top quality and are a must if you patch or provide patches...

Good prices on great cables!!

+T Ed

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 10:39:02 PM »
Agreed on all the above accounts. Ed makes some excellent cables! I have no advice on the 7xx cable question, but can highly recommend any of Ed's cables.

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 06:20:08 PM »
For what it's worth, I have the RCA to mini plug 1/8 with right angles and cannot say enough about how good they have held up over the last 2 years.  Great work and Ed worked with me on the sizing to fit my Beachtek DXA-10.  No problems whatsoever!

It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline strangetapes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 11:27:34 PM »
Placed my order today, looking forward to the lighter weight.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

V3
SD722; R44

Offline strangetapes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 01:00:46 AM »
Just received my chameleon ultras, and I couldn't be happier.  Great build quality and so far through my testing good sound quality.
V3
SD722; R44

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 11:50:42 PM »
hey bill
thanks
ed
kindkables.com 

Hello Ed, do you make custom mic cables as well?  I was looking for a 4.5ft cable with a straight XLR-male on one end and a right angle XLR-female on the other, preferably a small right angle connector (like the Hosa one).  I would need two cables, and I wouldn't need Grade-A quality components or anything, hopefully something more affordable.  I like the nice compact look of your chameleon cables (are those priced per pair of cables, e.g. able to connect two mics with a preamp?).  Thanks for any info!

Offline strangetapes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 01:11:19 PM »
hey bill
thanks
ed
kindkables.com 

Hello Ed, do you make custom mic cables as well?  I was looking for a 4.5ft cable with a straight XLR-male on one end and a right angle XLR-female on the other, preferably a small right angle connector (like the Hosa one).  I would need two cables, and I wouldn't need Grade-A quality components or anything, hopefully something more affordable.  I like the nice compact look of your chameleon cables (are those priced per pair of cables, e.g. able to connect two mics with a preamp?).  Thanks for any info!

You'd probably be better off contacting Ed directly.  The chameleon cables are a pair and their nice and light weight.
V3
SD722; R44

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 06:05:34 PM »
You'd probably be better off contacting Ed directly.  The chameleon cables are a pair and their nice and light weight.

Cool, thanks strangetapes.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 07:37:37 AM »
[quote author=strangetapes link=topic=104657.msg1416718#msg1416718
[/quote]fwiw ed did make me a custom cable a few yrs back
its nice
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 08:56:18 AM »
fwiw ed did make me a custom cable a few yrs back
its nice

Cool.  I'm planning on ordering a cable or two from ed once I figure out if Ineed RA or straight connectors.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com