Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking to replace JB3 (need optical imput, vista compatibility)  (Read 1603 times)

Offline palmettobum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • "dirty pull"
So I am basically tired of always having to use my xp machine for transfers, as well as the tedious nature of recording on a jb3, so I am looking to upgrade to a recorder that is vista compatible.  I need a recorder that can receive the optical signal from the UA5- perhaps this is the time for me to move up from 44.1k?   I would also like something that has better playback capabilities than the "preview" option on the JB3.  In addition to field recording, I also use the (mic + sbd > UA5 > jb3 > playback) to record band practices and "instantly" hear how we sound when I play back the jb3 over the monitors.  The highly imprecise ff and rw on the jb3 is not really the best for poking around an hour long file to find a song.  I think this post is clear enough for you guys to get my drift.

Thanks so much for any recommendations!

PB 
audio:  cemc6/ck4 > silver clad > ua5 (wmod) > jb3 > svu1
photo:  d200 > 28-70mm f2.8, 50mm 1.8

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Looking to replace JB3 (need optical imput, vista compatibility)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 05:07:59 PM »
on the cheap = Iriver h120
Plus it doubles as a nice mp3 player!

but you're not limited to optical inputs, as the ua-5 also kicks out spdif on RCA.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:12:48 PM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 05:45:01 PM »
I love my Sony D50 -- great 24-bit recorder!  Get it via ebay with this microsoft cashback deal and you can get it for the equivalent of $360 shipped for a brand new recorder.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:01:25 PM »
on the cheap = Iriver h120
Plus it doubles as a nice mp3 player!

but you're not limited to optical inputs, as the ua-5 also kicks out spdif on RCA.

He's got it. the iriver h1XX series, and I'll add the Microtrack series as the only things I can think of in the department of digi-in cheapoes.

I've got the iriver 120 and I'm happy with it (especially since it will do double-duty, very well if you have access to usb2). I'm looking at the Microtrack2, but I havn't committed yet because right now I can trade the truncation of 24>16bit that the UA5>120 does when looking at costs (since I wouldn't sell the 120, it's a good player for work). Both have drawbacks and advantages, so it truly depends on what you want. Is field recording time a factor? How about bit depth or truncation?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 07:47:53 PM »
if you have a ua5
then tech you don't need a optical in
for like $10 you can get a coax digital cable and that opens you up to other recorders as well, like a microtrack 1/2
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com