Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Identify the mic capsule? (Third Beyerdyamic Mic Added)  (Read 6530 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Identify the mic capsule? (Part II)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 10:32:46 PM »
So, it looks like most of the "low end" Beyerdynamic mics are made from standard capsule types.  Unlike Shure, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, etc, there appear to be no gems here.

Richard

I think that is accurate.  However, at the prices I paid for these on eBay, I don't feel totally ripped off.  I wonder what is inside my MC930's.  If it's a Panasonic, I'll feel I paid too much.

I've only actually listened to the MPC 65's, as drum OH's, and I thought they were pleasing (better than some MXL's I used to have).  When I get some time, I plan on doing a drum OH comp between MPC 65/MPC 66/MEM 86/MC 930.  It will not be scientific by any means, but it helps me understand what I've got in the mic closet.

--Michael
Don't worry, the MC930 are real condensers.  Nice capsules.  I havne't taken them apart (yet), but I've seen the insides of the MC833 (XY/MS mic), and those have the same caps.

As far as the boundary mics, I think the MPC66 have a fairly nice omni cap in there.  It is probably nicer than the (obvious) WM60.  It may also be worth modding these mics.  In particular, putting a 4.7k resistor between FET source and ground.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com