Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Vegas 8 - Replace audio without re-rendering video??  (Read 6300 times)

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Vegas 8 - Replace audio without re-rendering video??
« on: August 20, 2008, 05:03:33 PM »
i'm pretty new to Vegas, and i was wondering if someone could give me a pointer or two.

i want to replace the audio from a video, and sync it with better audio. i've got the replacement/sync part down just fine. my question lies with saving the video after that.

is there any way to save the video with the newly synced audio without completely re-rendering the video?

thanks in advance.
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Vegas 8 - Replace audio without re-rendering video??
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 06:22:22 PM »
Best thing to do is to 'Mux' the new audio with the video when you author. This way the video does not re-encode. I don't think there is any other way around it. I could be wrong though.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:23:10 PM »
i'm pretty new to Vegas, and i was wondering if someone could give me a pointer or two.

i want to replace the audio from a video, and sync it with better audio. i've got the replacement/sync part down just fine. my question lies with saving the video after that.

is there any way to save the video with the newly synced audio without completely re-rendering the video?

thanks in advance.
I'm in the same boat. I've always rendered after syncing the the audio and video together. I've wondered if I was doing it right that way but I've never figured out a different way to save so I can burn it in DVD Architect.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 10:59:27 PM »
here is what I've been told to do.  the only thing to use vegas for is to synch the old audio and the new audio.   

PgcDemux is a free/small program used to demux ie separate the video and audio.  you then have the mpeg 2 in it's original bit rate and the cam in it's original form.

then you can use vegas to matrix (ie synch) the two audio sources together just as you would normally except there is no video to help you.  hell you could do it in wavelab etc.  just make sure you don't make any cuts etc. 

then you can use Architect or dvdlab pro etc to mux them back together just as you would if you had two separate files from vegas.

you can also use this free/small program to mux (no chapters) to make sure it's synched properly with the video before doing full authoring.

MuxMan

Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 11:07:36 PM »
Assuming that you have trimmed the audio to the exact start of your existing video and have not cut any of the video then render the new audio after you've got it synced and use any DVD authoring software that does not re-encode.  I use DVD-Lab Pro.  Import your new audio track and use it instead of the existing audio.

Edit:

Gordon posting his response as I was typing mine.  That's a great method.  With the orignal audio track you can trim your new audio to match it and you'll be good to go.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:38:18 AM by stantheman1976 »

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 07:13:51 PM »
thanks for the help, guys. +t all around. looks like i have some experimenting to do this weekend.

gordon - it looks like PgcDemux only takes in DVD (IFO) files. can i not use this if i have a straight up raw .avi file?

fyi, these are videos taken with my Canon Powershot S5 IS digital camera (which takes pretty damn good video for just a "camera").

thanks again.
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 07:46:53 PM »
thanks for the help, guys. +t all around. looks like i have some experimenting to do this weekend.

gordon - it looks like PgcDemux only takes in DVD (IFO) files. can i not use this if i have a straight up raw .avi file?

fyi, these are videos taken with my Canon Powershot S5 IS digital camera (which takes pretty damn good video for just a "camera").

thanks again.

if you have a raw avi then it's fine to render.  that's what we do with raw avi from a mini dv.  the raw avi files from them are 12-15 gigs though.  this is assuming you want to render to mpeg2.  not sure about rendering to avi.  I know you can do it with vegas but not sure how it will effect the quality. 
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 10:38:18 PM »
A digital camera is not shooting DV video so your best bet would be to import the video you shot, match up the audio, then delete your original audio track.  Now on your time line you'll have just your video and new audio source.  Render it as a DV-AVI and encode to MPEG-2 for DVD authoring or render straight to MPEG-2 if you want.  Either way is fine.  I always use TMPGEnc Plus for my MPEG encoding and I put my finished products back to tape so I always render to AVI first.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 01:14:31 AM »
If your original video is not MPEG2 and you plan to burn a playable DVD, then you have to render/transcode anyway, so it doesn't matter. If your original source is DVD-playable MPEG2, then that is really the only case where you might want to try re-muxing type solutions.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
I often synch alt audio sources to video that was shot with a digital camera.  What I have found is that the video from the digital cameras often runs WAY faster than the alt audio.  For example, 30 frames (which should be one second) of video I shoot with a Sony DSC-T100 will run at a speed of roughly 14/15th of a second.  So a lot of adjustment is required in the length of the alt audio source.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com