Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cables for soundboard recordings?  (Read 6944 times)

Offline goldenbreast

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Cables for soundboard recordings?
« on: October 06, 2008, 12:02:13 PM »
hi all

i may have the opportunity to record ryan adams at brixton academy directly from the soundboard. i have been informed that the venue will allow audience recordings to be made but have sent a further e-mail to see if they will allow me to patch into the soundboard.

i use the R-09 for recording and understand that as long as i have the right cable, it can be plugged directly into the soundboard. any ideas what cable is should look out for?.

on another note, would RA have his own soundman for the tour or would it be the venue that provide the soundman?.

thanks

Alex

EDIT

ive seen the sticky which is very useful, i suppose now i need to find a supplier to get the cables from, preferably UK based - any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 12:05:37 PM by goldenbreast »

Offline 3-Fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Cables for soundboard recordings?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:22:05 PM »
I patched into the SBD for Ryan Adams last Monday here in Columbus.  They have 4 Sets of XLR males at tapers disposal.  I left my R-09HR there unattended and had no issues.  The soundguy with Ryan Adams was very nice and helpful.  He said just pick 2 XLR outs and patch in.  No issues what so ever.

Here's my source

http://www.archive.org/details/radams2008-09-29.radams2008-09-29.sbd.3-fan.flac16
AT853 > Church 9100 3 wire w/ mini XLR and switchable 4.7K mod > Edirol R-09HR

Offline goldenbreast

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 01:08:34 PM »
thanks for the reply. so what cables would i need?

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 01:12:56 PM »
Stereo female XLR cable to 1/8 mini jack to line-in on your R-09.  That's the setup I use for board patches.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 04:41:16 PM »
He said just pick 2 XLR outs and patch in.

At the Montreal show in September, 2007, four of the XLR connectors had red tape on them, and four didn't; I assumed that the red ones were the right channels, and the un-coloured ones the left channels, so I grabbed one red one and one un-coloured one.

As far as patch cables go, I went to my local music instrument store and bought two female-XLR to female-RCA adaptors (which were under CDN$10 each, IIRC), and used a dual male-RCA to 1/8" stereo male patch cable to run from them into my Nomad JB3.

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

03 / Pokey Lafarge / Ottawa, ON / Ritual
11 / PleasureCraft / Ottawa, ON / Irene's Pub

Offline brownm84

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 12:37:32 AM »
I second Brads setup, that way you have both XLR female and RCA capabilities.  A stereo 1/4 and 1/8 to your line in (a 1/8 to 1/8 cable but w/ a 1/4 adapter) are other possibilities.  My rule of thumb is if I think I can get a board patch I bring every possible combo of cables I have (really not that many (both style XLR, RCA and 1/8 or 1/4)).  Remember the one cable you don't have is the one output available ;D  As for this specific artist I 'm not familiar with his setup but I believe this is solid advice all around. 

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 10:49:45 AM »
A stereo 1/4 and 1/8 to your line in (a 1/8 to 1/8 cable but w/ a 1/4 adapter) are other possibilities.

I have a pair of (mono) male 1/4" to female RCA adaptors, so I always end up using my dual male RCA to 1/8" stereo patch cable to go in to the Nomad, with either just its male RCAs in to the board (if it has RCA outs), its male RCAs to my female RCA to female XLR adaptors to the board (if it has XLR outs), or its male RCAs to my female RCA to male 1/4" adaptors to the board (if it has 1/4" outs). I don't think I've encountered a situation where I had to hook up to a stereo 1/4" jack (although I wonder if a headphone jack could be used as a pseudo line-out in a pinch). (Actually, I also have a couple of male 1/4" stereo to female 1/8" stereo adaptors [for headphone use], so I guess I could use one of those, then just run a stereo 1/8" patch cable to my Nomad.)

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

03 / Pokey Lafarge / Ottawa, ON / Ritual
11 / PleasureCraft / Ottawa, ON / Irene's Pub

Offline goldenbreast

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 04:34:35 AM »
would someone be able to post links to the exact cables i need.

thanks

Alex

Offline lovelessrapture

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 05:55:18 AM »
Your best bet is probably a cable like this:

http://www.electromarket.co.uk/products.asp?partno=176.690

and then getting a little 2 RCA to 3.5mm jack (I don't have an R09 so it might be use this but I think it does) adaptor like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-Jack-RCA-Phono/dp/B001711TW4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223461291&sr=8-3

and that should mean you're all set. Providing the brixton academy let have you the feed which I'll be very surprised at if they do.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:23:02 AM by lovelessrapture »

Offline goldenbreast

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 08:00:55 AM »
Your best bet is probably a cable like this:

http://www.electromarket.co.uk/products.asp?partno=176.690

and then getting a little 2 RCA to 3.5mm jack (I don't have an R09 so it might be use this but I think it does) adaptor like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-Jack-RCA-Phono/dp/B001711TW4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223461291&sr=8-3

and that should mean you're all set. Providing the brixton academy let have you the feed which I'll be very surprised at if they do.

thanks for the link. i was informed by brixton that they would not have a problem if i was to record from the soundboard unless RA does. i too am a bit surprised about this...i'll wait and see.

Offline lovelessrapture

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 08:27:24 AM »
I might have to keep this in mind next time I wanna see something in 1 of the carling venues. Cause I'd heard the islington academy is very hard on tapers, so I assumed it would be the same for all the carling venues, so this is an interesting development. Let us know how it all goes though. By the way the brixton academy has awful sound in places, it's just too darn big.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 02:40:36 AM »
I have XLR to stereo phone jack for SBD taps,.  However, a major local chain of saloons (McMenamin's) has only RCA out.  Gonna get the converter as RS ASAP.  Or, make a set of cheaters.  It is a good idea to have the XLR > RCA converter just in case.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline javertim

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 11:41:48 AM »
A friend's band has asked me to record a show tonight and I may have the opportunity to record from the soundboard.  This would be my first time ever attempting this and I would be using my Edirol R-09HR.  I have a double XLR to single 1/8" cable, but it's male-to-male.  Reading the information above, I was wondering if a lot of soundboards generally have male connectors built in, in which case I would need to get a different cable with the XLRs being female plugs (?).  I haven't been able to get in contact with the sound guy yet, so I'm not sure what to expect. ... I just thought that most boards would be female out.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 11:52:20 AM »
There's a good reference for SBD patch cables here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,34254.0.html

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 02:20:40 AM »
All XLR outputs are male.  So if you want to patch out of a soundboard via XLR, you need dual female XLR's > whatever you need for your recorder.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com