Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DP-004 Pocketstudio (New Recorder?)  (Read 9747 times)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
DP-004 Pocketstudio (New Recorder?)
« on: November 01, 2008, 12:50:39 PM »
Anyone know anything about this new Tascam DP-004 Pocketstudio (http://www.tascam.com/products/dp-004;9,16,3707,14.html)?  I searched here, but didn't see anything about it.

For some reason, I can't open their link to the manual PDF.  From what I can gather, though, it seems like it only does 16/44.1  It has four channels, but I think two are dedicated to the internal mics, while the other two are 1/4" inputs.  Can't find anything about the specifications of the internal mics.  The thought occurred to me that it might be useful for someone who wants to record from the soundboard but also have the ability to record from the audience (for a matrix)...

I am curious about the internal mics and pres, if anyone has had a chance to play around with one...

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Re: DP-004 Pocketstudio (New Recorder?)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 01:15:43 PM »
Anyone know anything about this new Tascam DP-004 Pocketstudio (http://www.tascam.com/products/dp-004;9,16,3707,14.html)?  I searched here, but didn't see anything about it.

For some reason, I can't open their link to the manual PDF.  From what I can gather, though, it seems like it only does 16/44.1  It has four channels, but I think two are dedicated to the internal mics, while the other two are 1/4" inputs.  Can't find anything about the specifications of the internal mics.  The thought occurred to me that it might be useful for someone who wants to record from the soundboard but also have the ability to record from the audience (for a matrix)...

I am curious about the internal mics and pres, if anyone has had a chance to play around with one...

44.1 16bit and only 2 inputs... Reminds me of the Boss Micro BR..http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=818
Great toy for writing songs I dont see any applications for recording because of the low sample rate and the lack of SNR specs.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline johnny9fingers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 04:22:55 PM »
Would this machine be adequate for podcasting, or recording ambient sound in the field??

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 07:09:01 PM »
Would this machine be adequate for podcasting, or recording ambient sound in the field??

I think if you want to do pod casting your better off with a tascam dr-1 or edirol R-09HR

Offline johnny9fingers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 02:34:21 PM »

I think if you want to do pod casting your better off with a tascam dr-1 or edirol R-09HR

Would a rockboxed H120 do the trick as well as the dr-1???

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 05:39:53 PM »

Would a rockboxed H120 do the trick as well as the dr-1???

No it wont the H120 is very noisy with out an external preamp get the R09HR If you can swing it or the DR-1

Offline johnny9fingers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 05:54:41 PM »
Ok, you've sold me, I'll go for the DR-1.  If the internal mic's don't perform for me I may be talking to you about appropriate mic's.  But first I have to sell a digital camera to fund the purchase.  Thanks for your insight.....  John

P.S. now for some reason I feel compelled to visit the library........

Offline johnny9fingers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »
First, let me say thank you for your responses.  Now, one more question.  How about the MicroTrack II?  Does this fit in the mix anywhere, or is it still the R-09HR or DR-1?

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 12:19:53 AM »
First, let me say thank you for your responses.  Now, one more question.  How about the MicroTrack II?  Does this fit in the mix anywhere, or is it still the R-09HR or DR-1?

Tascam DR-1: $225
MicroTrack II: $300
Roland R-09HR: $325

I have also been in the market to upgrade from my H120, and these prices listed above I beleive really seem to speak for the quality of each of the units in question.  From all of the reading I've done, I'd say that there's at least a $100 quality difference between the DR-1 and the MicroTrack II, and that the MicroTrack II and the R-09HR are comparable, though the "gold medal" goes to the R-09HR.  I have heard nit-picky design grievances here and there on the boards about the R-09HR, but overall I'm really reading about people loving this recorder like a first born child.  Needless to say, I'm going to be purchasing Roland when I made the leap =)
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline johnny9fingers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 10:25:05 AM »
Chris also seems sold on the R-09HR.  I've read some good reviews for the MTII so just wanted to see what some of the folks here thought.  Also, The MTII is available from B&H for $199. 

Offline travelinbeat

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 01:03:52 PM by travelinbeat »
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Offline johnny9fingers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 01:07:30 PM »
When you click on add to cart for lower price it shows a price of $199.00.  Sounds like a deal to me......

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 01:09:42 PM »
When you click on add to cart for lower price it shows a price of $199.00.  Sounds like a deal to me......

Dont buy the microcraper...Get a DR-1 or an HR. :)

Offline johnny9fingers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 01:29:06 PM »
Ok, I will be buying the R-09HR as soon as I scrape some cash together.  Chris, you've said the mic's on the DR-1 are primo, and more recently, you love your HR and will never part with it,  I just wanted to see if folks shared the love for the MT II as well....... John

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 01:32:10 PM »
There are lots of people who like the Microtrack because it has digital inputs so there are those fringe people around here.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline johnny9fingers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 03:50:20 PM »
Why are the devote's of the MTII "fringe people"?  There seem to be quite a few folks who use them here.  Now, it's been a long day and I'm tired, so if I missed the humor of your post, please forgive me, not trying to rile anyone up.  Any way, most of my family, and many of my friends probably think of me as being out on the fringe as well ;)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 04:11:56 PM »
lol. I only used it to be sarcastic.
The media can label anyone fringe so I thought I would use the word.  ;)
I'm tired and getting a little bored as well. I'm glad today is friday.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 04:36:36 PM »
When you click on add to cart for lower price it shows a price of $199.00.  Sounds like a deal to me......

Dont buy the microcraper...Get a DR-1 or an HR. :)

Ok, I will be buying the R-09HR as soon as I scrape some cash together.  Chris, you've said the mic's on the DR-1 are primo, and more recently, you love your HR and will never part with it,  I just wanted to see if folks shared the love for the MT II as well....... John

Don't listen to Chris, he's just a vendor  ;D

(I'm just kidding John, both the R-09HR and Chris are awesome)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 04:38:50 PM by travelinbeat »

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 04:50:44 PM »
I have the DR-1 and absolutely love it.  Pre/ADC are excellent.  IMO, the best bang for the buck as far as mini recorders.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »
I have the DR-1 and absolutely love it.  Pre/ADC are excellent.  IMO, the best bang for the buck as far as mini recorders.

Yep and the built in mics are the best of all the recorders I have tested.

Chris

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 02:01:36 PM »
John, I just remembered that I started a thread a few months ago asking members to weigh in on what they considered to be the "Best stealthable 24bit recorder".  It's only 4pg long, but you may want to check it out if you haven't already, there was some good discussion on there:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,107846.0.html

Offline johnny9fingers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 03:44:54 PM »
Thanks Travelinbeat, and everyone else who chimed in.  This site can be both a blessing and a curse for someone researching which gear to purchase, as there are so many opinions, and volumes of hands on experiences.  A person could search around here for years, but I would like to do some recording in this lifetime, ha ha ha..... The recording I plan on doing is ambient sound stuff, voice, and school concerts and I'm confident any of the machines discussed will be more than adequate.  So Thanks again, I'll let you folks know what I actually ended up with soon....  John

Offline johnny9fingers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 10:54:18 AM »
Right now it comes down to buying a brand new DR-1 or a gently used R-09HR.  Hmmmmmm

Offline johnny9fingers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 06:02:57 PM »
Opps, I just ordered a Tascam GT-R1......

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 04:53:29 PM »
It has four channels, but I think two are dedicated to the internal mics, while the other two are 1/4" inputs.  Can't find anything about the specifications of the internal mics. 

The thought occurred to me that it might be useful for someone who wants to record from the soundboard but also have the ability to record from the audience (for a matrix)...

To get back on topic...
My understanding is that the DP-004 has two analogue inputs only. That's track 1 + 2. Maybe track 3+4 could be used simultaneously with the internal mics, but then again the quality of the internals is probably crap given the price. The form factor would suck pretty badly too, since the mics are pointing towards the operator - if anyone would try it in a concert setting

But primarily, I assume track 3+4 is meant for overdubs in post. Perhaps a home studio artist laying down guitar on some tracks, and voice on the others...

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:55:50 PM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 11:44:21 AM »

There were initially a lot of shortfalls with the MT2.  After using mine for a year, hafta say that I am happy with it.  As an open rig recorder it's been the perfect bit bucket running digi in to the spdif, which was my main reason to purchase it.  Analog in has been a bit of a battle and in all honesty, if you're looking to record ambient nature sounds, you'll be better off with dr-1 or r-09hr as they do have less noise. As I've tweaked my mt2 out, now running analog aud thru a ca-9100 preamp in to the 1/4" with a specially wired cable, am getting a nice, clear recording that I'm happy with. 
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com