Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie.. Looking for mic recommendations  (Read 7488 times)

Offline Panthro10

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Newbie.. Looking for mic recommendations
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 10:49:38 AM »
I have checked out the pmd661.. And I saw the thread comparing it with the fr2le.. Both list for $599, but a quick google search brings up fr2le's in the $430 range... So it seems like a better buy to me for what I need... So I'm thinking the busman kit > fr2le.. Should be under $1k.. Any other setup suggestions in this price range?
Busman BSC1 > v3 > r44

Offline Panthro10

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 07:47:49 PM »
Ordered the busmans today
Busman BSC1 > v3 > r44

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 04:38:59 AM »
I have checked out the pmd661.. And I saw the thread comparing it with the fr2le.. Both list for $599, but a quick google search brings up fr2le's in the $430 range... So it seems like a better buy to me for what I need... So I'm thinking the busman kit > fr2le.. Should be under $1k.. Any other setup suggestions in this price range?

Excellent choice. If you have money to spend, look at the Oade/Busman modded FR2-LE. And remember you'll need a mic stand too.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 04:44:58 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 01:30:50 PM »

Excellent choice. If you have money to spend, look at the Oade/Busman modded FR2-LE. And remember you'll need a mic stand too.

and cables and a bag

Offline Panthro10

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
Do they mods make a huge difference? I will have to check out some samples...
Busman BSC1 > v3 > r44

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 05:03:46 PM »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »

I think you'll get a range of answers to that question.  I'd suggest listening for yourself if you can still download the files in these threads:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,111772.0/all.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,113128.0.html

Edit:  For the second thread, the first link to get the files is dead but you can still grab them here:
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/FR2LEcompTNJedd.zip
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 06:41:01 PM by Will_S »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 11:17:55 AM »

You will get a wide range of responses from that question. If you can hear the difference, then you may want to get a mod but if you can't, spend the money on bags, cables, media, cases, etc.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Panthro10

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 01:04:50 PM »
I didn't really hear much difference through my computer.. so I think I'll hold off on mods for now.. see what kind of recordings I can get with just stock. So... next question.... what about cables? any recommendations there?
Busman BSC1 > v3 > r44

Offline setboy

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 01:41:18 PM »
I didn't really hear much difference through my computer.. so I think I'll hold off on mods for now.. see what kind of recordings I can get with just stock. So... next question.... what about cables? any recommendations there?

http://www.kindkables.com/ makes good stuff. How much do you want to spend on cables? you can spend a lot (100-200) or you can spend a little (40-100)

Offline Panthro10

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 01:45:33 PM »
probably a little.... I don't think the cables will be the limiting factor of how my recordings will sound.. at least for the first 50 shows I tape.. give or take.. I imagine mic setup and level adjustments, etc will have a bigger impact, so I'd rather learn that stuff and maybe eventually upgrade cables.
Busman BSC1 > v3 > r44

Offline setboy

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 01:50:16 PM »
probably a little.... I don't think the cables will be the limiting factor of how my recordings will sound.. at least for the first 50 shows I tape.. give or take.. I imagine mic setup and level adjustments, etc will have a bigger impact, so I'd rather learn that stuff and maybe eventually upgrade cables.

I would check out the yard sale. Post that you are looking for a good set of starter cables. or I would check out kind cables.
We do have some people around these parts that makes cables, but i do not recall who they are any more. Maybe someone else can point you to them.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 02:09:28 PM »

I would check out the yard sale. Post that you are looking for a good set of starter cables. or I would check out kind cables.
We do have some people around these parts that makes cables, but i do not recall who they are any more. Maybe someone else can point you to them.

One way of doing things is to throw as much money into the hobby as you want that way you have the supreme of the supreme (of at least what you can afford). Many people recommend this.

another way is to start small and if you like the hobby, upgrade cables, pre-amps, recorders, etc. I prefer this way.

user Darktrain (his name is Robb) makes cables and I have bought two kinds from him, just a 1/8" to 1/8" one foot cable and just an extension cable, six feet long. I would contact him for your cable needs as well as searching the yard sale section.

From Chris Church:
Spend money on good cables but you dont have to spend alot of money. Get good quality mogami or starquad and you will be fine.

Chris
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:07:30 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2009, 10:54:22 PM »
another way is to start small and if you like the hobby, upgrade cables, pre-amps, recorders, etc. I prefer this way.

It's good advice. Learn to make good recordings on modest equipment, and then you can use that knowledge to make great recordings with upgraded gear. Yes, the best mics cost a fortune, but, IMO, you could get 85% of the performance for 10% of the price. Look for bang-for-the-buck rather than ultimate performance, and you can do quite well.

Though I don't own a set myself, the Busman mics would be a good start - I've grabbed a few shows off the LMA that were made with them, and they sound nice. AKG Perception 170s (which I have) are also a good starter mic, but not quite as versatile since they don't have interchangeable capsules for different patterns.

The most important part of the recording chain is the nut behind the controls.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 11:39:51 PM »

Get them at monoprice then (http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10244), that's one of the most popular places to buy AV cables from (most posters on avsforum swear by them) and their XLR cables are cheap and good quality (although slightly tight connectors). 

rjp:
+T for the Zork reference...  :P
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 11:41:33 PM by su6oxone »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.202 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com