Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What cables should I bring?  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Jerry Gash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
What cables should I bring?
« on: July 30, 2009, 06:49:14 PM »
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the taping scene and have a couple questions.  I have a couple HD video camera and have been filming bands.  For audio I have been using a Rode SVM and when possible I use my laptop along with a Line 6 Toneport into Adobe Audiotion to pull audio from the board.  I recently purchased a Zoom H4n and it either excepts 1/4" in's or XLR.  Most of the time when I film bands they usually have smaller boards and have RCA out.  The last band I filmed had a huge PA setup and all it had was XLR out, that sucked cause I had to speed over to a buddies house to get cables and barely made it back in time.

My question is, what do you gus bring for cables that do SBD recordings?  I would think some decent RCA's with 1/4" adapters would be a must, as well as some XLR cables just in case theres no RCA out.

I am going to be popping the cherry on my H4N at YMSB in a few weeks, I am hoping to get a feed from the board and be able to have the H4n above the SBD to pull audio from the on board mics as well, prolly gonna need 20' cables to be safe.

Any suggestions?

(2) Canon HV20, Jag35Pro, Shrigg Rig, Rode SVM, Rode VM, Zoom H4N, Bogen 3052, Bogen 701HDV Head

Offline Jerry Gash

• Taperssection Regular
Re: What cables should I bring?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:13:32 PM »
A little searching goes a long way.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,14253.0.html

Think I answered my own questions....
(2) Canon HV20, Jag35Pro, Shrigg Rig, Rode SVM, Rode VM, Zoom H4N, Bogen 3052, Bogen 701HDV Head

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:20:09 PM »
Unless Ben (ymsb's sound guy) has changed boards in the past year, there will be XLRs only coming out of the board so the only adapters you would need would be for going into your recorder. If you do use the H4 just standard XLR>XLR cables will be all you need.

Unless YMSB has changed their video policy in the past year or so (which from another thread appears may be the case), you'll have more trouble videoing than you will getting a board feed. You should probably check with Yonder's management just to be on the safe side.

Offline Jerry Gash

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 11:13:53 PM »
Unless Ben (ymsb's sound guy) has changed boards in the past year, there will be XLRs only coming out of the board so the only adapters you would need would be for going into your recorder. If you do use the H4 just standard XLR>XLR cables will be all you need.

Unless YMSB has changed their video policy in the past year or so (which from another thread appears may be the case), you'll have more trouble videoing than you will getting a board feed. You should probably check with Yonder's management just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the heads up man.  I have emailed management about filming but didn't get an answer back, I guess I'll try calling and see what happens.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 07:42:35 AM »

Thanks for the heads up man.  I have emailed management about filming but didn't get an answer back, I guess I'll try calling and see what happens.

i video taped yonder a few weeks ago
i too contacted management and never heard back so i showed up to see what happened - nothing
no one cared at all that i was video or audio taping
2 tripods, side screen open, right next to the sbd - basically it was no secret i was taping and the light guy talked to me and asked to see how the lights looked in the screen
so if the venue is cool with letting you in then i am sure yonder will be cool with you taping
they do have a no trading policy on videos though, so don't post it on torrent sites please

with that said i swear i saw a patch bay at the sbd, but i didn't look real close
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com