Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video  (Read 77654 times)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »
one thing to know about this HD video format, you need a fast computer with a good amount of RAM to watch the videos. Don't fool yourself into thinking that because it plays fine on the camera it will play will on your computer. My computer isn't exactly slow but with a gig and a quarter of RAM, it still cannot play video smoothly.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Hulky72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 09:21:41 AM »
I bought the ZS3 in september so i could record nice videos of my favorite band (u2) at their Gillette Stadium show. Unfortunately i played with the camera way too much while waiting in the GA line during the day and the battery died on me during the 1st song!!

I bought an extra battery and a month later i went to a Metallica show and recorded a few songs with the ZS3.

I find the sound quality amazing for a point and shoot camera, theres no distortion at all. In fact the sound recorded is even better than it was in my ears live!

The HD video recording of the ZS3 on the other hand... it is great during the day and/or in a low light environment but for concerts and bright lights, you will get NASTY annoying vertical lines.

That being said, i am a total noob with digital cameras. This is the 1st one i own and use. So there might be (hopefully) some settings we could tweak on it to avoid/reduce the vertical lines in presence of bright lights. Please enlighten me  ???

Heres the videos i uploaded on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Hulky72

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 03:11:18 PM »
If those vertical lines are the ones I experience, they are due to lights slightly in front of and above the camera. They are not limited to digital cams.

The trick is to shield the cam from those overhead lights - if you see a pro video rig you'll almost always see a hood over the lens to prevent this issue. I've used cardboard and masking tape to improvise a shield when I was tripoding, but not so good handheld.

Fran

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 05:29:39 PM »
I've used cardboard and masking tape to improvise a shield when I was tripoding, but not so good handheld.

Even a hand, held above the lens just out of the field of view to shadow it from the bright lightsource can work.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline surf1div1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 04:06:56 PM »
So Guysonic, I'm curious as to how that mod has worked out and if anyone has gone with it. I LOVE this cam for it's lowpro qualities and while I'm not photo expert (a point/shoot is about all I would manage at this point for expertise) I find that it's a great cam/video setup for what I do. I purchased two batteries, and while the battery life sucks, for concernts it's fine for most sets.
Have very inexpensive Lumix and it rocked so ordered ZS3 arriving this Monday, AND the repair manual from Panasonic to modify this camera for EXTERNAL input of my stereo-surround microphones. 

So in the near future this little camera will have BOTH unlimited 720P HD video AND HD stereo-surround audio recording capabilities.  Will modify this camera for others if interested.

After market spare battery from B&H in NYC with ~30% MORE capacity at nearly half the cost tested OK in this camera.

Sandisk now has 16 GIG Extreme III SDHC Class 10 card that should work the best of all cards available at highest reliability/lowest power consumption; costs ~$120 usd
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 08:54:22 PM »
So Guysonic, I'm curious as to how that mod has worked out and if anyone has gone with it.
Have very inexpensive Lumix and it rocked so ordered ZS3 arriving this Monday, AND the repair manual from Panasonic to modify this camera for EXTERNAL input of my stereo-surround microphones. 
So in the near future this little camera will have BOTH unlimited 720P HD video AND HD stereo-surround audio recording capabilities.  Will modify this camera for others if interested.
Got the repair manual showing everything about this great camera.  However, I'm hesitating to tear into this as the audio section is inherently lacking low bass ability making the external mic modification less than appealing or worth the effort for anything but documentary interviews I am now thinking.

So it may make more sense simply using DSM mic directly into Sony's PCM-M10 marrying the M10 audio to the video using a simple process as I'm finding in my U-Tube posts at: http://www.youtube.com/GuySonicStudios

Those posts are from my previous FX12 videos having VGA quality, but married audio is from full bandwidth DSM + Preamp + DAT/Flash recorder.  Exceptions are Platt I planes/birds, Blackbery Fest Motorcycles, and the newest 'Mill Fire' post using photos taken with excellent Nikon 3.3 megapixel camera having wide-angle lens with Bela Fleck concert audio.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 01:12:41 AM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 07:51:06 PM »
I love mine. I have shot a bunch of bands from U2, The Killers & Muse to Dave Alvin & Duane Eddy...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Chrisedge
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 09:06:30 AM »
I'm seriously considering getting one of these, mainly for HD video recording but I was reading that there is a 15min recording time limit for the European model (DMC-ZS7?), can anyone confirm this? Thanks

Offline indiie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 09:21:03 AM »
I'm seriously considering getting one of these, mainly for HD video recording but I was reading that there is a 15min recording time limit for the European model (DMC-ZS7?), can anyone confirm this? Thanks

I believe that applies to the one in the UK. It doesn't for the one in Australia. Not sure which category the European model falls into.

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 10:24:38 AM »
Surely the UK version is the European version? That said, it isn't clear on a lot of website spec's/reviews of this model whether or not a 15min limit applies. Anyway, it's interesting what you said re the generic battery/firmware issues, but the 'wind cut' option sounds useful, esp for outdoor use. Is there a 'low sensitivity' option on the mic as well?

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 10:48:18 AM »
- ZS3 (US model) is only limited in record time by battery life
- generic firmware compatible batteries available on ebay for cheap
- no low-sensitivity audio option...just low cut (but it seems like the audio processing applies auto gain adjustment)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 11:15:20 AM »
I bought the ZS3 in september so i could record nice videos of my favorite band (u2) at their Gillette Stadium show. Unfortunately i played with the camera way too much while waiting in the GA line during the day and the battery died on me during the 1st song!!

I bought an extra battery and a month later i went to a Metallica show and recorded a few songs with the ZS3.

I find the sound quality amazing for a point and shoot camera, theres no distortion at all. In fact the sound recorded is even better than it was in my ears live!

The HD video recording of the ZS3 on the other hand... it is great during the day and/or in a low light environment but for concerts and bright lights, you will get NASTY annoying vertical lines.

That being said, i am a total noob with digital cameras. This is the 1st one i own and use. So there might be (hopefully) some settings we could tweak on it to avoid/reduce the vertical lines in presence of bright lights. Please enlighten me  ???

Heres the videos i uploaded on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Hulky72
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      This is because your camera uses a CCD vs. CMOS chip.You can avoid this phenomenon by lowering the gain on your camera.Meaning use must use manual modes and not fully automatic.     http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm100-camcorder/379708-vertical-smear-fireworks-display.html

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 02:03:25 PM »
- no low-sensitivity audio option...just low cut (but it seems like the audio processing applies auto gain adjustment)

forgot one thing, size of card. recording time is limited by the size of the card & battery life. When recording video, choose avchd so you can get the best video. MPEG takes way too much space up.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline indiie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 08:26:56 PM »
Surely the UK version is the European version? That said, it isn't clear on a lot of website spec's/reviews of this model whether or not a 15min limit applies. Anyway, it's interesting what you said re the generic battery/firmware issues, but the 'wind cut' option sounds useful, esp for outdoor use. Is there a 'low sensitivity' option on the mic as well?

Well I thought there may have also been a separate UK version, but no it appears to be the European version and yes the recording times in AVCHD and Motion JPEG are both limited.

Very clearly stated here with excerpts from both models manuals
http://techuserfriendly.com/2009/10/hd-video-time-limit-panasonic-lumix-zs3-tz7-avchd-lite/

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2010, 11:41:05 PM »

forgot one thing, size of card. recording time is limited by the size of the card & battery life. When recording video, choose avchd so you can get the best video. MPEG takes way too much space up.

Well, I see your point, but you have an option of choosing a card that will take longer than 1 battery to fill.
So, battery life is the limiting factor of recording length....should get 75-95 minutes on a good battery and about 2 hours on a 16gb card.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com