Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Replacing audio on a dvd?  (Read 7921 times)

Offline allan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
    • enclave media
Replacing audio on a dvd?
« on: November 11, 2009, 10:57:17 PM »
I went with a friend and taped David Bazan about a month ago, i got the audio and he got the video, he gave it to me last week on a dvd, now i want to put my audio on it. Whats the best way to do this? I'm on a mac and use Final Cut for editing, i've never had to do this before, but he erased the original files after he burned the dvd so... any suggestions?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Replacing audio on a dvd?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 05:41:33 PM »
can you get the original files from tape or something?
otherwise you have to demux everything and reencode - honestly not worth it imo unless the audio on the dvd is baddddd
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline alzeppelin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:41:03 AM »
It can be done without reencoding but I can't think of the program's name at the moment.  Contact Guitard on the board and he will fill you in since I know he has done this on DVDs before.

Offline tailschao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 12:31:40 PM »
Rip the whole DVD to your hard drive (as files, not an ISO or anything)
Find all the VOBs that have the show on (they should all be consecutive and in the same VTS), and drag them all together into DGIndex.
"File">"Save and demux video"
You will then have the original audio in whatever format it is, and the original m2v video saved as separate files.
Open the original audio in an audio editor that supports multi-track editing, import the new audio along side, and make the new audio syncronise with the old. It's important you do not change the old audio AT ALL. Make the new audio fit the camera audio, not the other way around.
Once syncronised, export the new audio (making sure the old audio is muted or deleted or something), and encode it to whatever format and bitrate the old camera audio was (Probably AC3 at some bitrate). Make sure the encode is DVD compatable - not all AC3 encoders produce DVD compliant files.
Re-author the new audio back with the old video, making new menus etc. You haven't actually touched the video at all, so if you did it right and made the new audio fit the old, it should syncronise exactly the same as the old camera audio did.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
DGIndex.
thats not a mac program is it?
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 04:35:30 AM »
DGIndex.
thats not a mac program is it?
Oh shit. I missed that part. Sorry.

Still, the basic concept still stands - find a mac program that will allow you to split the original DVD into audio & video streams and an audio editor that will allow you to sync the new audio to the old.

Offline allan

• Taperssection Member
    • enclave media
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 06:52:53 PM »
Thanks for all the info, I do have a pc sitting here that I could probly do it on if I can't find a suitable mac program.

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 06:38:11 AM »
Rip the whole DVD to your hard drive (as files, not an ISO or anything)
Find all the VOBs that have the show on (they should all be consecutive and in the same VTS), and drag them all together into DGIndex.
"File">"Save and demux video"
You will then have the original audio in whatever format it is, and the original m2v video saved as separate files.
Open the original audio in an audio editor that supports multi-track editing, import the new audio along side, and make the new audio syncronise with the old. It's important you do not change the old audio AT ALL. Make the new audio fit the camera audio, not the other way around.
Once syncronised, export the new audio (making sure the old audio is muted or deleted or something), and encode it to whatever format and bitrate the old camera audio was (Probably AC3 at some bitrate). Make sure the encode is DVD compatable - not all AC3 encoders produce DVD compliant files.
Re-author the new audio back with the old video, making new menus etc. You haven't actually touched the video at all, so if you did it right and made the new audio fit the old, it should syncronise exactly the same as the old camera audio did.
Follow these basic instructions but replace DGIndex with MPEGStreamclip (for Mac): http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

And you can do it using Handbrake: http://handbrake.fr/
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline sec1968

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 01:49:07 PM »
Let me ask a slightly different ? on the subject of extracting audio from a video source.

I recorded a local Symphony last month, video from up in the sound booth, and audio down on the floor with my mics down low. The straight audio turned out like crap, but the audio for the video portion turned out great.

I have the .mpg files that i've used to create the DVD's in Nero. What can I use to extract the audio from the .mpg files in order to burn that to CDR's?

Thanks.

shane
tapersec1968 (at) gmail.com

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/sec1968

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 02:25:50 PM »
Let me ask a slightly different ? on the subject of extracting audio from a video source.

I recorded a local Symphony last month, video from up in the sound booth, and audio down on the floor with my mics down low. The straight audio turned out like crap, but the audio for the video portion turned out great.

I have the .mpg files that i've used to create the DVD's in Nero. What can I use to extract the audio from the .mpg files in order to burn that to CDR's?

Thanks.

shane

DVD Audio Extractor will rip it from the DVD, not sure about from the mpg files. there's probably a zillion different ways to do what you want but i've used this program and it works for me.

http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor/

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 02:32:42 PM »
oh, and the instructions given above for sync'ing an external audio source with video...seems like people are making it more complicated than it is. the whole business about "demux"ing, dealing with .m2v files, etc.? i just did the whole thing in sony vegas rather easily. import the video and the external audio onto the trackline, use time stretch to sync the external audio to the cam audio as if you were creating a matrix, then just mute the cam audio and render/export, and you're done.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 10:47:36 PM »
oh, and the instructions given above for sync'ing an external audio source with video...seems like people are making it more complicated than it is. the whole business about "demux"ing, dealing with .m2v files, etc.? i just did the whole thing in sony vegas rather easily. import the video and the external audio onto the trackline, use time stretch to sync the external audio to the cam audio as if you were creating a matrix, then just mute the cam audio and render/export, and you're done.
you didn't read the post did you?
he already has a 100% complete dvd
he can't simply import the files

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 01:19:45 PM »
Use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD into a single VOB file.  There's an option on how you want to split the files.  I don't remember the exact tab it's under at the moment.  Choose no split and it will give you a single file after it's ripped.  I think Vegas can work with VOB right?  I haven't used anything but raw video in a long time so I don't remember offhand.  If not I think you can rename the extension from *.VOB to *.MPG and it will work.  VOB is simply an MPEG-2 file in a different container for your DVD player to recognize.

Offline guitard

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 05:17:03 PM »
Just a little something to remember when doing projects like this: if the video is shot from the cheap seats (or a fair distance from the sound system) - the original audio in audience shot videos probably isn't in synch.

So after getting the alternate audio matched up to the original audio - take it one step further and make sure it's actually in synch.  I find the easiest way to do this is to watch the drummer's sticks hitting the drums.  It's one of those things where you have to nudge back and forth until it's right - and sometimes you go the wrong way because it's a little deceiving.  I can't describe what right looks like - but when it's right - you know it's right.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 09:05:04 PM »

having a 100% complete DVD isn't a sticking point at all. like stantheman said you can use DVD decrypter as you rip the DVD...or what i use is a simple freeware program called VOB2MPG. you just rip the DVD to your hard drive and it converts the VIDEO_TS folder into one large MPG file. Vegas works directly on MPG files, not on DVDs.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

Offline willndmb

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »

having a 100% complete DVD isn't a sticking point at all. like stantheman said you can use DVD decrypter as you rip the DVD...or what i use is a simple freeware program called VOB2MPG. you just rip the DVD to your hard drive and it converts the VIDEO_TS folder into one large MPG file. Vegas works directly on MPG files, not on DVDs.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG
yes you are right
what i was saying though was he can't simply drag and drop he needs to do some sort of conversion
rather its demux or convert the vob > mpg/avi/dv whatever
since we are talking about that route, handbreak is a program for mac that he can use

Offline KurtMichaels

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 07:33:33 PM »
As mentioned, MPEG Streamclip is a free tool for demuxing VOBs. You will get a .m2v file and propably a .ac3 file.

If you got Final Cut Pro, you propably got Compressor. Compressor produces the new .ac3 files. You could then use DVD Studio Pro to mux 'em together (assuming you have that one, it's in the FCS package). Problem is now you have to re-author the DVD. DVDSP can read a VIDEO_TS though.

As for solution to just mux the VOB files, don't know, never had that problem. FFMpegX I guess does it. Toast maybe. Compressor has an option to mux MPEG2+AC3 into an MPG file, but I guess you would need another tool to get a VOB from here. VisualHub is a free one-click-don't-care tool, that produces VOBs, but I guess you cant just extract the file from the fileset and use it elsewhere - or can you?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:54:53 PM by KurtMichaels »

Offline BlackLab

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 09:16:04 AM »
If you have Vegas , just rename VOB files so file extension is MPG and import file. Thereafter the video and audio are separate and makes for easy dubbing

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com