Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 120/60 > 220/50 power conversion?  (Read 4090 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
120/60 > 220/50 power conversion?
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:46:03 PM »
I will be moving overseas for a while within the next few months and am wondering if any of you can recommend a power system that will allow me to convert a 120 volt / 60 hz cycle to a 220 volt / 50 hz cycle.  I can find voltage converters without too much trouble, but I am kind of lost with the cycle converters.  The cheapest one that I found is $2,000 and is targeted toward scientific applications.  That is much more than I want to pay.

I would be using this for an amplifier, DVD player, and a DAT deck so getting the proper cycle rate is important.  Peak use would be around 1,000 watts.

Any help is appreciated!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: 120/60 > 220/50 power conversion?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:30:09 AM »
I looked into this a while back and found the same things that you did, no problem on converting voltage, but the cycles are a big PITA.

I would think the DVD player/DAT deck might be the bigger challenges since cycle time is used for motor timing in those types of devices, Amp might not be that big of a deal to run on 50cycles, but I could be wrong there.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:34:35 AM »
Just brainstorming.

When I went to Europe, I discovered the value of wallwarts since they'll accept a large swing of possibilities as long as I had a pin adaptor. So thinking that there is still gear out there that doesn't have that sort of external DC converter. What happens if you go the opposite way? Bring a series of tekkeon batteries and a DC>AC converter. Then just charge the tekkeons as needed? Not pretty, but if you only need a couple of outlets worth, it might be cheaper.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline jlykos

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 02:01:28 PM »
Just brainstorming.

When I went to Europe, I discovered the value of wallwarts since they'll accept a large swing of possibilities as long as I had a pin adaptor. So thinking that there is still gear out there that doesn't have that sort of external DC converter. What happens if you go the opposite way? Bring a series of tekkeon batteries and a DC>AC converter. Then just charge the tekkeons as needed? Not pretty, but if you only need a couple of outlets worth, it might be cheaper.

That may work for a TV set or something but I would be deathly afraid to use it on a power amp with a peak voltage of 800 volts.  The power amp is the major thing that I am worried about.  It may just be cheaper to get a foreign power amp or something from France, but even that would cost me in excess of $1000.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline JackHenry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 04:06:46 PM »
I was looking at going the other wy bringing 110 volts gear into Australia's 240 volt system. While searching for info I came across this (but it may not answer your question)

http://www.allegrosound.com/index22.html

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 07:06:06 PM »
I was looking at going the other wy bringing 110 volts gear into Australia's 240 volt system. While searching for info I came across this (but it may not answer your question)

http://www.allegrosound.com/index22.html

Per that Site, you may still have trouble with your DAT deck/DVD player because of the following:

* Mains Frequency of 50Hz & 60Hz are interchangeable.
i.e., equipment marked "60Hz" can be operated at 50Hz
(turntables and tape decks with hysteresis-synchronous
motors that lock to the line-frequency be an exception).
Difference be Frequency of the AC, not the equipment.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 12:11:07 AM »
Digital audio devices NEVER synch to the AC line frequency--they have internal clocks that are far more precise, or else are operated synchronously with other equipment that has an internal clock.

The real risk with 50 Hz AC (once it's been stepped down by a transformer to the proper voltage) is the greater amount of heat buildup in the power transformer of your equipment. Some transformers are spec'ed to handle it while others are more marginal.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline jlykos

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 07:58:06 AM »
The real risk with 50 Hz AC (once it's been stepped down by a transformer to the proper voltage) is the greater amount of heat buildup in the power transformer of your equipment. Some transformers are spec'ed to handle it while others are more marginal.

That is exactly what I am worried about.  My amp gets warm already from just playing music around here.  I can't imagine how it will get in Mali with an unstable power supply.  I may try to call up the manufacturer (Cambridge Audio) and see what they have to say.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com