Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Balanced to Unbalanced without losing balancing between conversion  (Read 3415 times)

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
if that makes any sense...
Basically, I want to run cables from my mics in the air as balanced down to my unbalanced recorder. I figure if I "unbalance" them near the recorder, I will maintain basically all of the benefits of balancing as the long run of cable will be balanced. Would an adapter like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/431406-REG/Hosa_Technology_MIT_435_MIT_435_Female_XLR.html maintain the balancing from the mics to the adapter? I know the 1/4" is unbalanced, but will the mic to xlr on the adapter still be balanced? Is this the right type of adapter? If not, does one exist?
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Balanced to Unbalanced without losing balancing between conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 03:33:12 AM »
The adapter will do the job.
But it will modify the sound and probably not for better. Small, low-price are not things that suggest good sound in transformers.
My suggestion is that you get a preamp instead.

// Gunnar

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 06:26:56 AM »
I've supplied many with a DIRECT WIRED (NO TRANSFORMER) dual XLR Balanced Jack-to-3.5mm miniStereo R/A plug connected directly into the deck.  Using this you would run your balanced extension cables down from your stand, then connect to the patch adapter near deck.  I see no issues if not running over power cords on way to patch adapter.  This and other patch cords on my site at http://www.sonicstudios.com/access.htm#adapters.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:13:00 PM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:20:37 AM »
That's a step-up transformer, you don't want that.  A regular ol' 600:600 will do, or a 500:10K would be OK if your mics are low impedance.  But that thing is 200:50K, that ratio is far too high for what you want to do.

Also, you need to consider how you are powering the mics; that would work with dynamic mics, otherwise you need a power supply between the mics and the transformer.
These take a AA battery and are self powered so no worries there. Where could I get a tranformer like that?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:20:43 AM by 12milluz »
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com