Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need feedback on Audix M1255B-S (micro shotguns) ..come on people....someone ?  (Read 12897 times)

Offline igene

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection Member
Hey,
I'm lookin' to get a pair of stealth shotguns and this is where my research has led me.

here are the specs >
http://www.audixusa.com/docs/specs_pdf/M1255B.pdf

I have a pair of Audix cardiod's (M1245) that sound real nice and thought I'd get shotguns (super cardiod) in the same type.
(I use the M1245 for Video, but I get RF interference. The 1255's are RFI immune)

I'd like to use these outside at festivals or outdoor shows where I can't be that close, but need to stealth.

Damn, 2.1" shotgun mics...who would have thought.
Plus these are High sensitivity for distant micing - sounds perfect for a stand as well.

Anyway, has anyone used these EXACT ones ?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:17:22 PM by igene »
Leela : ...what are we going to do ?
the Doctor : Should we try using our Intelligence ?
Leela : Well, if you think it's a good idea.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gallifreyan Guard : But you do have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the Universe.
the Doctor : Well, I do talk to myself sometimes, Yes...

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
Re: Need feedback on Audix M1255B-S (micro shotguns)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 02:31:42 PM »
come on.... no one ?
Gallifreyan Guard : But you do have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the Universe.

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
THIS REALLY LAME....NO ONE HAS HEARD/USED/TRIED THESE...?

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
not too many people on this forum use Audix mics.  There are a small group of people who do, but it's not one of the more popular mic choices here.  Also, not too many people on this forum use shotgun mics.  So I wouldn't be surprised if no one here has used these specific mics.

Good luck finding info about them.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
FWIW-'m not sure if shotguns would be the go-to for st&*lth, since they are so directional. It would seem to be hard to keep them on axis.

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
I have (and build) micro-stealth stands.
Movement is not an issue.
The whole (Black) suspension head is really small.
I've used my cards with it, but too much bonehed talk around me.
Need more directional pickup.
Maybe HC is a better choice.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
also, that PDF seems to indicate that the "shotgun" isn't really a shotgun at all,  but rather, a supercardioid.  If that's true, then this is the first instance that I've come across where a mic company makes both a hypercardioid and a supercardioid.  Most "hypercardioids" and "supercardioids" on the market are actually somewhere in between a hyper and a supercardioid.

take a look at the image attached to this post:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=117231.msg1566681#msg1566681
While the image is from Schoeps and specifically points out where the mk41 cap is no the spectrum between hyper and super cardioids, the image as a general tool is quite instructive.
As you can see on that image, a hypercardioid has a more narrow pick-up pattern, but also a bigger rear lobe (compared to a pure supercardioid).

I think it would be worthwhile to get in touch with Audix and get details about the specific differences between the hyper and supercardioid caps that they are selling.  But in any case, I highly doubt it's a real shotgun.

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
I doubt that a reputable company like Audix would lie about the mic's pick up pattern.

Perhaps it's not the narrow thin pick up pattern like an AKG or Sennheiser or other popular "traditional" shotguns, just narrower than a hyper-C.
The pickup pattern has been stated as being super cardioid/shotgun.
It's still greater side to side rejection and "narrower" pickup area.

I've tried to find a polarity chart on the 1255-S, but havn't found one yet.

This is my stealth mini-setup >
[ goes from 3' to 7']
small footprint.

Those mics are the same size as the 1255 series.
these are 1245-C

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
I'm not saying that they are lying, but I this is what is interesting...

from the PDF you linked to in the first post:
Available with a cardioid, hypercardioid, omni or supercardioid capsule

and

M1255B-S - Same as above with supercardioid (shotgun) capsule

and

Supercardioid (M1255B-S): This polar pattern, also known as a shotgun pick up pattern, has a longer
reach and more narrow pattern than the other cardioid patterns. This pattern is a preference at time for
podium applications. It is helpful in pin-pointing hard to reach areas, especially for recording outdoors
and with video.

But, in reality, the supercadioid pattern is NOT a shotgun pattern.  by definition, a shotgun mic needs to  have an interference tube in front of the capsule.  I think it's the marketing people at Audix who are confusing the terms.  and it's too bad, because they are suggesting that two distinct microphone types are the same, which they aren't.  that's why I suggesting getting in touch with Audix and getting more clarification directly from them.

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
aaah, I see now.

Yes, makes sense. I will contact them.
Right now leaving for 2 Phish and then 2 Furthur shows.
I'll work on this more next week.
thanks.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
I doubt that a reputable company like Audix would lie about the mic's pick up pattern.

Perhaps it's not the narrow thin pick up pattern like an AKG or Sennheiser or other popular "traditional" shotguns, just narrower than a hyper-C.
The pickup pattern has been stated as being super cardioid/shotgun.
It's still greater side to side rejection and "narrower" pickup area.

I've tried to find a polarity chart on the 1255-S, but havn't found one yet.

This is my stealth mini-setup >
[ goes from 3' to 7']
small footprint.

Those mics are the same size as the 1255 series.
these are 1245-C
Nice small rig for sure, but when you said stealth earlier, I was thinking in terms of something much more concealed.

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
I actually have a smaller setup.
That is my "bigger" small setup.

I had the other shot handy, I had to shoot this one this morning.

small rig >

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
But, in reality, the supercadioid pattern is NOT a shotgun pattern.  by definition, a shotgun mic needs to  have an interference tube in front of the capsule.  I think it's the marketing people at Audix who are confusing the terms.  and it's too bad, because they are suggesting that two distinct microphone types are the same, which they aren't.  that's why I suggesting getting in touch with Audix and getting more clarification directly from them.

Jason nailed it.  The terms are sometimes used interchangably, but that confuses things. Hypercardioid describes a shape of pickup pattern closer to the figure-8 side of the continuum from figure-8 to omni (typically described as: figure-8, hypercardioid, supercardioid, cardioid, subcardioid, omni).  All those patterns can be described mathmatically as a simple mixture of omni an figure-8 components in different ratios.  The coloquial term 'shotgun mic' really describes the apperance of the mic as a way of building a highly directional mic than a specific pickup 'pattern'.  Although people will know what you mean if you refer to a shotgun pattern, that doesn't fit along that mathmatical continuum.  It's sort of like 'boundary mounted omnis'- not a pattern per say, but a technique that has the effect of changing a standard capsule's directionality.

'Shotgun' microphones are often built around supercardioid capsules, but they don't have to be.  More importantly, they use a long interference tube in front of the capsule to increase the directionality.  The interference tube has slots along it's length arranged so that sounds arriving off-axis through the slots are phase delayed and self-cancel somewhat, where sounds arriving on-axis do not.  As I understand it, the longer the interference tube, the more consitant the increased directional pattern is at lower frequencies.  The typical apperance of the long tube is where the term 'shotgun' comes from.  That distinction is somewhat blurred now that there are some highly directional mics that use complex (and expensive) electronic means to increase directionality, do so more consitantly across the spectrum, and have a somewhat better behaved off-axis response, but they still use an intereference tube even if they are generally shorter than traditional 'guns'.  The interference tube cancelation technique doesn't lend itself to smooth off-axis response and that's why it's difficult to make really good sounding guns for recording music.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
THIS REALLY LAME....NO ONE HAS HEARD/USED/TRIED THESE...?

I'd ask the mods to move this topic to the appropriate subforum (Microphones) before calling fellow TS'ers lame. Just my $.02...
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com