Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 3)  (Read 119910 times)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 3)
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2010, 09:20:01 AM »
Did you try to open a 'CMD.EXE window' and have a look at the files that way?

Offline bucsab12

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2010, 09:40:18 AM »
Maybe you recorded the files on the internal memory and not on the memory card? Did you check the folder of the internal memory?

It happened to me a few times that after recording something to my memory card, the "Memory" option switched automatically to "Built In Memory". That might explain why you don't see any files on the memory card.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »
I would do as bucsab12 asked and search INTERNAL memory since it obviously shows three file names.

Perhaps you can take the microSD card out and put it in a memory card reader to see if there is actually any data on it. I find this a lot easier than opening each set up empty folders up.

What is the name of the exe file that you found?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2010, 10:40:22 AM »
The M10 should show the SD-card icon when the card is the target. Icon is absent when internal memory is targetted.
This could confirm the internal memory suspicion.

Maybe this is one of the M10 weaknesses: it does not remember what memory you preferred.

Offline Artstar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #184 on: August 17, 2010, 11:03:52 AM »
Maybe this is one of the M10 weaknesses: it does not remember what memory you preferred.

Depends on what you do.

If you take out the memory card and switch the unit on, it will default to the internal memory, naturally. When you switch it off, plug the memory card back in and switch it back on again, it will still default to the internal memory because that was the last memory in use and it remembered that accordingly.

However, should you already have the unit configured to use the memory card, switch it off, take out the memory card, then plug the memory card back in and then turn the unit on, it will default to the memory card because nothing changed since it was last turned on.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #185 on: August 17, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »
Now record cross memory from card into internal memory.
Stop recording into internal memory.
Erase stuff on the card.
Start recording.
Where is the M10 recording?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #186 on: August 17, 2010, 11:22:48 AM »
Now record cross memory from card into internal memory.
Stop recording into internal memory.
Erase stuff on the card.
Start recording.
Where is the M10 recording?

where ever the default is. if you have cross memory enabled from external to internal and you stop recording, it will start recording back on external. if external is full, I'm sure a message will appear indicating it will record on internal (in not so many words)

another thing that occurred to me is that the microSD card was not put in right. As udovdh mentioned, you should see a little icon indicating the memory is in correctly. if you don't see this, chances are microsd card is in upside down.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #187 on: August 17, 2010, 01:17:31 PM »
The battery life on this thing is mind blowing!

I've recorded: a 30 minute speech on internal mics + 1 hour ambient noise, 3 hour Paul McCartney show, 1 hour DBT show, 1.25 hour Jimmy Cliff show, 1.25 hour My Morning Jacket show, 3 hour DMB show, and last night a 3 hour Rush show...and the battery meter just dropped it's FIRST BAR!
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #188 on: August 17, 2010, 01:26:40 PM »
I have had no issues cross memory recording on my unit.

I always record to microsd card (adata 8gb) and if need be it switches to internal memory automatically.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline crbatt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #189 on: August 17, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the help on this forum and especially in this thread. I used to record shows in high school and college on my Aiwa handheld cassette recorder and, after stumbling upon this forum, realized that my life would not be nearly fulfilled until I impulsively, and semi-obsessively blew some cash on something I never knew I needed, but somehow now couldn't live without.

Spent a week reading all I could here, and based on your reviews/recommendations (and the $199 B&H price tag) I picked up an M10 last week. Recorded my first show at a small bar/venue last night using only the on-board mics. Attached a mini tripod and placed the recorder on a ledge about 7 feet up, 15-or-so feet back from the stage. Ran it on low sensitivity, manual at about 1.5 rec level in. I'm really impressed with the quality of the recording... the built-in's are actually quite good. Better than I expected.

Only bad part was Monday night/12:30 AM/"I think only 3 or 4 more songs! I swear!" doesn't quite work for the GF, so I missed the last couple songs. Oh well. It was a good trial run for me.

So again, thanks for the help with an unexpected new obsssion that will cost me time and money. I owe you all one.  ::)

I guess next up is finding a set of mics...

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #190 on: August 17, 2010, 09:51:57 PM »
Good luck on your test, sounds like you got it all figured out. :)

btw, what exactly are you testing?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »
It's very odd you can't locate the files when you connect the recorder to the computer, but you're saying when you're navigating from internal memory to external memory, you can see that there is a recording? Are you able to play the recording and hear audio?

Like most modern recorders, they require two buttons to start recording. The m10 will go in pre-record mode when you press record once and to start recording, press the flashing pause button.

Let us know how the test goes!

Offline Artstar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #192 on: August 18, 2010, 03:04:25 PM »
It's to be expected that the unit will give you two different drives in Windows because it's the equivalent of having an all-in-one memory card reader where the CF card is say drive G: (for argument's sake) and the SD card is say drive H: (also for argument's sake).

It mentions in Note 4 on page 86 that the internal memory and memory card appear as two volumes and gives you the volume names for them.

Now as for the frying pan you mention, I don't see the problem here. If the card runs out of space and crosses over to the internal memory (or vice versa), the file will simply be split across them and all you'll need to do is load both files and stitch them together, same as with the 2GB file limit.

In the end, if it's that much of a concern for you, there's always the option of buying a larger memory card. I'm running a 16GB Sandisk Mobile Ultra without issue, giving me 15 hours at 48kHz/24bit, and don't have cross memory recording enabled.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #193 on: August 18, 2010, 04:30:07 PM »
The D50 works the same way! 

It's to be expected that the unit will give you two different drives in Windows because it's the equivalent of having an all-in-one memory card reader where the CF card is say drive G: (for argument's sake) and the SD card is say drive H: (also for argument's sake).

It mentions in Note 4 on page 86 that the internal memory and memory card appear as two volumes and gives you the volume names for them.

Now as for the frying pan you mention, I don't see the problem here. If the card runs out of space and crosses over to the internal memory (or vice versa), the file will simply be split across them and all you'll need to do is load both files and stitch them together, same as with the 2GB file limit.

In the end, if it's that much of a concern for you, there's always the option of buying a larger memory card. I'm running a 16GB Sandisk Mobile Ultra without issue, giving me 15 hours at 48kHz/24bit, and don't have cross memory recording enabled.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #194 on: August 18, 2010, 04:36:40 PM »
my multi card reader is the same way. I put in ONE sd card in it and ALL the available drives (about 5) are visible but when you click on it, it will say to insert a disk since obviously nothing is in the particular drive.

Good job on finding the issue and sorry I didn't mention this with everything else but we obviously knew the files were somewhere on the recorder/memory card. ;)

Artstar is right, set the recorder to the bigger of the two choices (i.e. a 16 gig microsd card as opposed to internal 4 gigs) and once the 16 gig is full, you'll be able to cross record onto internal without issue.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com