Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Experimental 'umbilical cable' for C460 to CKxx capsules  (Read 11260 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Experimental 'umbilical cable' for C460 to CKxx capsules
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 04:10:19 PM »
Great to see this moving along like this.

Don't mean to derail the work on the AKG front so I hate to ask -- but is there any chance this can also be done for the Gefell m20/m21 capsules?  Looks like the circuitry is meant to be universal, any thoughts on how much of a market is needed to do the machining for the company-specific capsules?

The Gefells are also a 21mm diameter mic, so hopefully besides the threading and specific dimensions on the connector, the circuitry could fit in similar-dimension collette.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 07:22:54 AM »
And why not one suitable for the Primo EM-21 and EM-23 electret capsules? Same dia, 21 mm. Low noise with a suitable output circuit, not the one shown in the document.

http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/albums/userpics/EM21.pdf
http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/albums/userpics/EM23~0.pdf

Roger

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 01:07:33 PM »
This might be a minor point, but instead of a mini-xlr, would it be possible to hard wire the cable to the PCB in the housing? The reason being that MBHO has a similar design and the stiff mini_XLR sticks out so far that it makes these harder to stealth compared to Schoeps or Neumann. The hard wired cable more like the Schoeps KC connector or CMR is softer and easier to work with. Also, if you machined the connector to have a collar the same size as the schoeps KC connector or CMR, it would work with already existing accessories.

You can use one of these.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 09:01:43 PM »
What are those?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline groovon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 02:22:51 AM »
The second one looks like a stainless steel weatherproof cable gland, the first one is a plastic bushing. (I don't know the brands, if that's what you meant.)

I think a rubber grommet/boot or or other kind of flexible strain relief would work better.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:04:48 AM by groovon »

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 05:43:35 AM »
I see.

What I was suggesting is to machine the back end of the capsule connector down to a small diameter collar that a fixed cable would exit from. You could put a rubber heat shrink sleeve over the cable to protect it and isolate it at the solder points and it would also provide some strain relief. That is what the Schoeps KC cables do/look like. If I recall, that is also what the JKlabs cables looked like. The point is, if the brass/aluminum housing for the electronics is machined down to the same diameter as the Schoeps, you could use these with the accessories that are made by Schoeps.

You can kind of see what I'm talking about on the far right side of the screen here

If you instead use a mini-xlr female adapter inside the housing, the male mini-xlr cable sticks out almost the same length as the housing. The length of the housing plus the rigid mini-xlr makes these harder to stealth with. This is the same problem (IMO) with the MBHO mics.

Either way, it's nice to see this getting some movement.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 06:58:25 AM »
The pictures above show some cable glands available from Conrad in Europe. The one on top have 10 mm thread and accepts cables with dia 5-6.8 mm. The weatherproof type have threads of M6 (2-3 mm dia cable) or M8 (3.5-5.5 mm dia cable).

The Neutrik nanoCON connectors are shorter than mini-XLR (or tiny-XLR).

Here some more strain relief products:

http://www.heyco.com/products/thumb_03.html

http://www.sealcon.net/str_domflex_ny_metric.htm

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:30:10 AM by Roger Gustavsson »

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 07:01:16 AM »
What I was suggesting is to machine the back end of the capsule connector down to a small diameter collar that a fixed cable would exit from. You could put a rubber heat shrink sleeve over the cable to protect it and isolate it at the solder points and it would also provide some strain relief. That is what the Schoeps KC cables do/look like. If I recall, that is also what the JKlabs cables looked like. The point is, if the brass/aluminum housing for the electronics is machined down to the same diameter as the Schoeps, you could use these with the accessories that are made by Schoeps.

We all know the pricing of stuff with Schoeps written on it....

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2010, 02:56:17 PM »

We all know the pricing of stuff with Schoeps written on it....

I think he was referring to mounts like I make which are much more affordable than the actual schoeps branded accessories. However you could also use the rycote invision mounts with them as well. he was suggesting that they the new connectors be compatible with currently offered mounting solutions.

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2010, 03:00:53 PM »
^ Exactly

$50 for a bar that will hold the mics firmly in a fixed pattern and eliminate the guesswork is a pretty popular choice around here. Plus the Schoeps SG clips are only $20 each or so. Now the SGM ones are a bit pricey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com