Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Normalizing/volume adjustment problem  (Read 2710 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Normalizing/volume adjustment problem
« on: September 24, 2010, 11:36:44 AM »
So I've been curious about this for a long time but finally decided to ask.  :P

Basically, when I  process a show on my computer in SoundForge, I normalize using peak levels to -0.1dB.  The problem is that there are always some number of occasional spikes in volume (screaming, clapping, whistling, cymbal/percussion, etc.) that are higher than the average volume of the music, resulting in a less than optimal increase in the volume overall (so the show is too quiet because of the occasional loud peaks).  In the past, sometimes I will manually find those peaks and decrease the volume and then re-scan the peak volume and normalize afterwards. 

But I was wondering if there is some processing tool that can decrease the peaks while normalizing/increasing the rest of it.  Can I just normalize to a lower level first, approximately where the peak of the main music is at, which would bring down those occasional spikes, and then normalize again to a higher level afterwards?  I'll try to fiddle around at home today but wondering if there is any tool or method that other people have used to deal with this sort of issue. 

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Normalizing/volume adjustment problem
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 12:35:50 PM »
A Maximizer does what you need. WAVES has the L1, L2, & L3.
There are freeware versions. Try TL's Maximizer (http://www.audiomastermind.com/detail-tls_maximizer-9198.html) as I have used that and think it does a good job.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:42:12 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight!

Offline duch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • dammit !
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 03:33:27 PM »
Soundforge can do it by itself, just select "Average RMS level (loudness)" rather than "Peak level" in the normalize window.

Check "Use equal loudness contour", click on "Scan Levels" to get the RMS level of your unprocessed recording, then accordingly select the target RMS level for the normalization . Make sure that you have "Apply dynamic compression" selected in front of "If clipping occurs", and then hit OK.

For instance if your recording has an RMS level of -16 dB and you select -10 dB, the average loudness of your recording will be increased by 6dB, and every clipping peak will go through a limiter, lowering them just under 0 dBfs without making them sounds ugly.

You should also know that RMS level is not an exact mathematical transcription of how our ears perceive loudness, so it might happen that two records normalized to the same RMS level have a slight perceived loudness difference, depending on the audio material. Other ways of measuring loudness and producing results closer to our perception exists, such as Leq (RLB) and LKFS (R2LB), but you should be mostly ok with RMS.

If you feel that the way Soundforge peak limiter process audio is not transparent or good enough, you should use other limiting plug-ins, such as the Wave L-serie Chuck told you about.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 08:27:31 PM by duch »

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 03:44:15 PM »
Thanks duch, I never knew what that was for, but this sounds exactly what I need to get the volume up to a decent level without having occasional clipping/peaking/distortion.  I'll try it out tonight and see if I can get it to work properly, thanks again!

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 09:58:58 PM »
Thanks duch, I never knew what that was for, but this sounds exactly what I need to get the volume up to a decent level without having occasional clipping/peaking/distortion.  I'll try it out tonight and see if I can get it to work properly, thanks again!
Let us know how this worked out.
I also use soundforge and usually I just go in and use the pencil tool
to minimize unruly spikes before normalizing.
I just settled on the fact that there wasn't a function that did this.
I've always stayed away from RMS normalizing because of squashing dynamics,
where peak just adds volume to a specified point to the whole file equally.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 09:16:40 AM »
+T duch
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com