Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DSLR questions  (Read 14940 times)

Online sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:59:58 PM by sparkey »
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
Re: DSLR questions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
The big question is what are your plans for the camera?  My 10,000 ft opinion would be go for the 60D.  VERY good body, terrific in low light.  Skip any of the extra kit lenses and plan to use the $$ for better quality glass.  With some more specific info on how you plan to use the camera I can make more structured recommendations.  Does Costco sell the body only?

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Online sparkey

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »
The big question is what are your plans for the camera?  My 10,000 ft opinion would be go for the 60D.  VERY good body, terrific in low light.  Skip any of the extra kit lenses and plan to use the $$ for better quality glass.  With some more specific info on how you plan to use the camera I can make more structured recommendations.  Does Costco sell the body only?

The only specific plans I have for the camera is to photograph still shots of glass objects for my website and I would also need a macro lens to get the small stuff.  It would be great if I could get a camera that was quicker on the draw that could focus and shoot multiple frames a second (e.g. photograph my dog sprinting across the field).

Years ago my dad gave me a nice Nikon SLR, which I took with me to Europe.  I have amazing pictures of that trip, and would love to have a piece of equipment that was capable of producing images of that quality.   How does the 60D compare to the 7D?

Thanks!

Josh

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 03:10:24 PM »

The only specific plans I have for the camera is to photograph still shots of glass objects for my website and I would also need a macro lens to get the small stuff.  It would be great if I could get a camera that was quicker on the draw that could focus and shoot multiple frames a second (e.g. photograph my dog sprinting across the field).

Years ago my dad gave me a nice Nikon SLR, which I took with me to Europe.  I have amazing pictures of that trip, and would love to have a piece of equipment that was capable of producing images of that quality.   How does the 60D compare to the 7D?

Thanks!

Josh

Both are very nice cameras that would be head and shoulders above an old film SLR.  The difference is more subtle and IMO you would probably be better off with 60D if only for the slightly lower cost that would free up some $$ for what really matters which is glass.

Have a look at the Reviews of both on the DP Review site.  I think their reviews are very well done and easy to understand...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/

All that said.  I'd look for a body only and then, if you stick with an APS-C sensor, maybe take a look at some of the 17-50 2.8 lenses out there.  Sigma makes a nice one for Nikon but the Canon version for some reason is not a fixed aperture.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/670047-REG/Sigma_668101_17_70mm_F2_8_4_DC_Macro.html

Tamron has a nice one, but it is not Macro...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423714-REG/Tamron_AF016C700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html

That would be a great starting point and you can add lenses later.  The less expensive "kit" type zooms are pretty easy to come by on the used market and could be picked up pretty cheaply once you really know what you want/need.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »
Both are very nice cameras that would be head and shoulders above an old film SLR.

The gadget and MP aspect of digital is so incredibly over-hyped.

No doubt digital is much more convenient and easy to use vs. film.  But never before in history, have so many people, taken so many medicore photos.

I am not suggesting he use film.  But the hype can be a bit much.  I contend it would be a huge waste to spend money chasing megapixels.   The best value, by far, would be to find a friend who wants to upgrade.

Any dslr (and many point and shoots) can take great pictures of glass objects.  That's mostly about lighting, stabilizing the camera with a tripod (and remote release or self-timer), and doing the post-processing to get the final look right.  If you are publishing the photos to the web, you're likely shrinking them significantly.

As it goes, the lenses are the critical part.  There are a lot of mediocre lenses out there.

The best camera is the one you have with you..  My old Canon S100 cost me $600 back in '00, and is only 2MP.  I took thousands of really important photos with it.  Now, we have compact panasonics with good 10X optical zooms.  And even those have gotten a lot better since they first came out.  There are just so many times I don't want to take a dslr with me (though modern plastic lenses are really light).

There are a lot of ways to satisfy your requirements, but I wouldn't drop big bucks to get big megapixels.  An older dslr would work great.  In a few years, dslr's will be greatly improved and wayyyyy cheaper.  You could spend a couple hundred bucks now, keep your eye out for good lenses, and then upgrade the body in a couple/few years (or sooner if you decide it is holding you back).  At some point, I'll upgrade to full frame.  That is getting cheaper.  In the meantime, I shoot medium format film for serious stuff.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 04:08:30 PM »
I'm with pop:  go body-only and buy your lenses separately.  Kit lenses won't provide the macro capability you need (more on this momentarily), and they definitely won't provide the wide aperture needed to ensure high shutter speeds for dog action shots.

igte is spot on that it doesn't pay to get wrapped up in the feature / MP race game.  I have a 4-5 generation old dSLR and the biggest obstacle to my taking HQ photos:  my own skills.  Consider buying 2-4 generations old for camera body and spending the bulk of your budget on lenses.

FWIW, I've used the Pentax variant of the Sigma 17-70.  I sold it, and wish I hadn't.  It was an outstanding walkaround / general purpose lens.  But note it's not a true macro, though it may provide sufficient close-focus capability depending on the size of your subjects.  If you do have a need to go full-on macro, I've found macro shooting best with manual focus, so you can save a few bucks by buying an older, used MF lens.

For product shots, you'll probably want to come up with a light box of some kind.  DIY is the way to go here, I think.  Not difficult, and cheap.

Spend the bulk of your lens budget where you'll really benefit from the extra money spent:  a fast (and therefore big!) zoom for dog action shots.  Depending on your expected shooting distance, an f/2.8 in the one (or more) of the following ranges might do the trick:  17/18 - 50mm (Tamron or Sigma?), 50 - 135 (Tokina?), 70-200 (Tamron or Sigma?).  Of course, Canon/Nikon makes lenses in those ranges, as well, but you'll pay a premium for them.

Do you still have your old lenses from the Nikon SLR?  If you still have them, you might be able to use them on a Nikon dSLR.  Can't say for sure, as I'm not familiar with Nikon's backwards compatibility, only Pentax's.

As with recording gear:  don't be afraid to take advantage of the used market!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Online sparkey

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 05:09:12 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

It looks like the CostCo price on the 60D is slightly higher than the price on just the body from other places.  I like the idea of being able to shoot full HD in low light settings, which I believe is one of the strongest points of the Canon (?).  I've also been frustrated by the slowness of little point and shoot cameras, so I'd like to find something that is fast enough to shoot multiple frames a second without having to "think" too long before focusing and snapping.  High megapixel is nice, but fast enough to get quick shots and action (my dog).  Photographing glass is important, but the real enjoyment will be in taking the pictures outside of that.

What are some suggestions for models and brands to look at for used gear?  I've heard great things about the Rebel T2i using the same technology as the 7D; I know that is new, but getting two lenses and the body for $1050 is tempting.

Josh

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 09:14:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

It looks like the CostCo price on the 60D is slightly higher than the price on just the body from other places.  I like the idea of being able to shoot full HD in low light settings, which I believe is one of the strongest points of the Canon (?).  I've also been frustrated by the slowness of little point and shoot cameras, so I'd like to find something that is fast enough to shoot multiple frames a second without having to "think" too long before focusing and snapping.  High megapixel is nice, but fast enough to get quick shots and action (my dog).  Photographing glass is important, but the real enjoyment will be in taking the pictures outside of that.

What are some suggestions for models and brands to look at for used gear?  I've heard great things about the Rebel T2i using the same technology as the 7D; I know that is new, but getting two lenses and the body for $1050 is tempting.

Josh

The Canon Rebels are very nice options.  You can also find the Nikon D80 or likely the D90s in that price range.  I have an older D200 (Can be found for ~$600 used) that is a tank but leaves a bit on the table sensor performance wise compared to the more recent bodies.  I am a Nikon shooter so know them best, but the differences (Nikon vs Canon) are as much ergonomic and personal preference as anything.  All are great cameras and have comparable high quality lens options.  Things to look out for on used cameras are shutter counts and overall age/warranty status.  One repair can easily run $300+ so it does not take much to kill the cost savings from buying new.  It's also always a great time to buy used/refurbished/old stock right after the manufacturer releases a new body.  The old stuff still in stores drops and great deals on new equipment can be found.  Skalinder is a big fan of either the Sony or Pentax lines (I can't remember which) but your options for used equipment are a bit more limited simply because there are not as many around so not as much used gear in the marketplace.  And I always enjoyed being able to borrow lenses and such from friends that had Nikon gear.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »
I consider mirror lock up a requirement.  For some reason ($$), nikon withholds that feature on many of their cameras.  It is a common feature on canon.  It doesn't matter how good your tripod is, if your mirror is banging on a long exposure, it will blur.

Online sparkey

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 11:25:49 PM »
I think I'd like to buy a new camera.  It seems like kind of a delicate piece of equipment and it also seems like the used ones don't depreciate like guitars or microphones.  Am I correct in thinking that the D60 is somewhere between the T2i and the 7D?

Offline thekhz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 12:47:10 AM »
Am I correct in thinking that the D60 is somewhere between the T2i and the 7D?
Yes, the 60D is between the T2i and the 7D.

I would get the 60D over the T2i if it is in your budget because the 60D has 9 cross-type auto-focus point vs the T2i having only a single center cross-type with 8 slot-type auto-focus points.  The T2i and any DSLR these days are more than capable of taking excellent pictures in the right hands.  I would not get the T1i (someone was asking about it in another thread) because the T2i/60D/7D have better low light performance (less noise at ISO >= 1600).

I don't know much about Nikon cameras, but I would not get the Nikon D80 because it does not use a CMOS sensor, and has higher noise compared to the other cameras that use a CMOS sensor such as the more recent D3100/D5000 etc.  The Nikon D90 uses a CMOS sensor but has been replaced by the Nikon D7000.  If you are considering the Canon 60D, also consider the Nikon D7000.

Regarding lenses, I would recommend that you only invest in the 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS kit lens that comes with the camera to start with and then from there you will know if the aperature is fast enough for you, how you like variable aperature lens vs constant aperature, and if you need wider than 18mm or longer than 55mm.  The kit lens is worth about $100 so it is a minimal cost to learn from.

One more thing.  Go to a store and see how the camera fits in your hands before buying.  Personally, I like how the smaller T2i/60D fits in my hand vs the thicker 7D.  If you have large hands, you may feel the opposite.

You can learn a lot about photography at this site:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:30:05 AM by thekhz »

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 05:23:22 AM »
Are you set on buying Canon? Have you tried any of the cameras? Aside from how they feel in your hands - the intuitiveness of the menus may sway your decision. Nikons menu structure makes sense to me; Canons doesn't.

I have a Nikon D80 and just replaced my D200 with a D7000. I believe that the D7000 is the best crop-sensor camera available from any maker right now. As with anything tech - give it a few months and that may change.

What do your friends use - it's nice to be able to borrow a lens instead of renting/buying.

And does your local camera store rent gear? Mine does and allows you to put the one day rental fee towards the purchase of what you rented.

www.dpreview.com is good for reviews.
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 06:37:19 AM »
I believe that the D7000 is the best crop-sensor camera available from any maker right now.

Except for the Pentax K5.  :P

I'll 2nd someone else's recommendation to physically try out Nikon and Canon at the store -- which should prove very easy considering their market presence.  (I had a helluva time finding a Pentax to try in-store.)  Canons feel terrible in my hands (for a variety of reasons) and I find the menu structure infuriating.  Nikons feel much better and I find the menu structure much more usable.
Roland R-05

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »
I think I'd like to buy a new camera.  It seems like kind of a delicate piece of equipment and it also seems like the used ones don't depreciate like guitars or microphones. 

I would say that DSLR bodies do depreciate.  For example my D200 new was around $1600, I purchased it Refurbished for I think $1100.  Right now used they are in the $600 range.  So well over 60% from new and nearly 50 even though I bought it refurbished.  tHe rapid increases in sensor performance and features (video, etc) have kept the DSLR body market pretty active.

Lenses on the other hand tend to hold their value much better, particularly at the high end.

Online sparkey

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 11:55:11 AM »
Are you set on buying Canon? Have you tried any of the cameras? Aside from how they feel in your hands - the intuitiveness of the menus may sway your decision. Nikons menu structure makes sense to me; Canons doesn't.

I'm inclined to buy the Canon for the HD video capabilities and ability to shoot in very low light.  Those are the strengths of the Canon over the Nikon, correct?

The D60 package looks like an excellent deal for the money.  Nice body and the photo geeks give decent reviews to the lens it includes, which seems like a step up from the standard lens.  Anyone wanna buy a V2?  :-)

Josh

Offline printguy

• Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 12:00:34 PM »
Nikons can shoot in low-light and do HD video - check out the D7000 the most likely competitor to the 60D.
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline tapinfool

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 05:09:01 PM »
i just got a d5000 after the holidays.

got it refurbed with a kit lens for $500 out the door.

i'm in love with this camera.

i've only ever had cheapo <$100 p&s cameras

with my d5000 i feel like i can actually take some nice pix (nice to me at least :P)

i got a nikon 55-200mm zoom lens used for $120, a mid-grade tripod, some uv filters and a remote

and feel i'm good for now...for now  ;)

here are some pics i took the last couple days  http://www.flickr.com/photos/58458561@N03/

before curiosity kills it, the cat learns more of the world than a hundred uninquisitive dogs ~ tom robbins

i never was much of a petty thief. i wanted the whole world or nothing ~ h.c. bukowski

coincidence is the universe's way of reminding us what's really going on

Offline Sockan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 05:25:21 PM »
I have a Canon 7D and I'm really happy with it.
If you don't need the higher fps and autofocus speed then go for the 60D.
I'm photographing mainly nature like flying birds so I need it. How fast is your dog? ;)
About cameras and logic... I don't agree with some of the others that Nikon is easier than Canon because I'm lost when I'm trying to use a Nikon... so you should try the cameras in a store first to see which one you like the best. I guess that you would learn to use the one you buy eventually... :) I can change different settings instantly with 7D on the fly while photographing fast objects like a lot of other people, so it's just a lot of practicing that is required with both systems.
Lenses is most important. If your glass objects is small, you need a real macro lens and not a zoom lens with "macro" capabilities. I have a Sigma 150mm/2.8 that I'm really pleased with. The sharpness is outstanding.
Shooting glass also requires that the lighting of the subjects is good. If you have a white background you can try to have black on the sides so you more easily can see the edges of the glass objects if you have problems with that.
Good luck!
Equipment:
Two ears recording to a 16Kb memory between them.

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 06:18:57 PM »
Here are the Nikon offerings at Costco.  Any thoughts on these?

Nikon D5000 - $749 including two lenses

Nikon D90 - $1279 including two lenses

Any would be a significant step up from a P&S.  That said both are below the level of a Canon 60D or Nikon D7000 and in the D90 case about the same $$.  Most of the reviews I have read say the Canon is slightly sharper and has about 1 stop better high ISO (low light) performance when compared head to head.  It also has 30p video at 1080 while the D7000 has to drop to 24 frames at 1080 or 30p at 720.   The D7000 is going to be every bit of $1500 with a kit lens, while the Canon can be found fro around $1200.  Since I have a ton invested in Nikon glass it would be a D7000 for me, but you don't have the lens investment so I'd go with the Canon.  It's a better camera for the $$.  Do be sure to check out the ergonomics and menu usability on the Canon because I do agree that is a point that I think Nikon handles better.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:21:26 PM by phanophish »

Online sparkey

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 02:27:55 AM »
Doesn't look like Costco is offering the D60 anymore.  So a higher shutter speed means you can capture faster action?  That looks like a substantial difference between the 7D and the D60...how much "better" is the 7D?

7D
1/8000 to 1/60 sec., X-sync at 1/250 sec.
1/8000 to 30 sec., bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode

D60
1/4000 to 30 sec. (1/3 and 1/2-stop increments), bulb, X-sync at 1/200 sec.

Offline thekhz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 02:58:46 AM »
It is Canon 60D, not D60.  Canon naming is numberD, Nikon naming is Dnumber.

Here is a Nikon D60.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/

To capture your dog running, and sports such as a football players running for example, all you need is a shutter speed of around 1/1000.  Anything faster than that is probably not necessary.  Even if you double the shutter speed to 1/2000 that will be plenty fast enough.

The faster maximum shutter speed is more for the case when it is sunny outside and you are using a fast lens with a wide aperture for a shallow depth of field effect.  Fast being f/2.0 and faster.  The faster shutter speed will prevent over exposure.

Maximum shutter speed will not be an issue for you.  The more important value when shooting action is the number of frames per second.  7D fps > 60D fps, but the 60D fps is likely good enough.  You will need to look up the actual values.

Comparing the 7D to the 60D, the 7D has faster fps, better auto-focus system, more auto-focus points, plus other features.  7D also uses the more expensive and faster CompactFlash cards, vs the 60D using SDHC cards.  If you plan to shoot sports, get the 7D.  If plan to occasionally shoot your dog, the 60D will be fast enough.  The articulating screen on the 60D will also be very useful for shooting macro and video.

It would also be better to get the 60D and some better/faster lenses than the 7D and some average variable-aperture lenses.

Nikon Coolpix P100 - It is a point and shoot camera, forget about it.

Nikon D5000 - I don't know much about this model, but it is newer than the D90.

Nikon D90 - Is Nikon's first attempt at DSLR video.  720P maximum I think.  Video is not it's strength if that is important to you.

Sigma does make a 17-50 2.8 lens for Canon (someone above said that he could not find it) .

Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Zoom Lens for Canon DSLRs with APS-C Sensors
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689620-REG/Sigma_583101_17_50mm_F2_8_EX_DC.html

Another thing to keep in mind is that using a DSLR for video pretty much means that you will need to manual focus the lens.  You can't just point and shoot the video and expect good results.  The people that are using DSLR for video do a lot of post processing and editing. If you want to just point and record video, a digital camcorder that will provide continuous autofocus will give you better results. DSLR may offer excellent image quality in the video, but if the image is not in focus, that excellent image quality doesn't mean much.

The Nikon D7000 has continuous autofocus in video mode, but it does not get the correct focus all the time.  There are video reviews of the D7000 continuous autofocus available on youtube that show this.

The most popular places to buy DSLR cameras for the lowest price is probably one of:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
http://www.adorama.com/
http://www.amazon.com/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:33:15 PM by thekhz »

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 08:37:47 AM »

Sigma does make a 17-50 2.8 lens for Canon (someone above said that he could not find it) .

Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Zoom Lens for Canon DSLRs with APS-C Sensors
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689620-REG/Sigma_583101_17_50mm_F2_8_EX_DC.html

The issue was Macro capability.  For whatever reason the Nikon mount version of that lens has Macro capability, the Canon mount does not.  That said I have that lens and like it very much.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
Doesn't look like Costco is offering the D60 anymore.  So a higher shutter speed means you can capture faster action?  That looks like a substantial difference between the 7D and the D60...how much "better" is the 7D?

7D
1/8000 to 1/60 sec., X-sync at 1/250 sec.
1/8000 to 30 sec., bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode

D60
1/4000 to 30 sec. (1/3 and 1/2-stop increments), bulb, X-sync at 1/200 sec.

Yes, the higher the shutter speeds the faster you can capture and freeze action but you can do the same if you're using a flash as well. If you are shooting at 1/8000, you will need strobes at full power and probably a couple depending on what you are shooting.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the most features as they may not all (if ever) be used unless you're a pro photographer doing it all day everyday.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 05:55:53 PM »
So a higher shutter speed means you can capture faster action?

For dog (or most, for that matter) action shots, the 60D's max shutter speed of 1/4000 will more than suffice.  Depending on subject, 1/500 or 1/1000 is usually fast enough...unless you get into things like super-fast-moving hockey pucks or baseballs.  Don't sweat the 7D supporting faster shutter speeds up to 1/8000.
Roland R-05

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »
I have a question.  Is there a DSLR out yet that can shoot 1080p for an unlimited time?

Offline Sockan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 03:40:22 PM »
I have a question.  Is there a DSLR out yet that can shoot 1080p for an unlimited time?

No, I don't think so... but i'm not sure...
I can guess a few reasons.
There is a few different limitations like the 4gb limitation filesize in fat32.
In europe (PAL) It would be a lot of extra tax if the dslr cameras could shoot unlimited time (classified as video recording), so they would be really expensive.
But if you want to shoot a movie like a indie film maker or so, the current limitation isn't a problem. Most takes is less than a minute anyway, and often just a few seconds, so you don't need the unlimited shooting time. Many really big film cameras with real film (not digital) used for shooting big movies a few years ago ran out of film in around ten minutes, so the there isn't much of a difference compared to digital dslr cameras in that regard.
I'm not sure if it ever will be unlimited shooting time, but who knows...
If you need it now, you should get a video camera.
Equipment:

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »
It is POSSIBLE (maybe not likely) that an interchangeable lens compact or micro 4/3 may have this ability but I don't know off the top of my head. 
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline fguidry

• Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 04:37:39 PM »

The Panny GH2 will do 1080i with no limit.

Fran

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 09:39:47 PM »

Fran
Unlimited only by battery and card capacity continuous 1080 HD video shoot time is important to me, and the DMC-FZ100, GH1/2 Lumix models can do this (1080i) with battery lasting just over ~1.5 hours.   

While I'm now working the low light insensitive, and very affordable Lumix FZ100 super-zoom model, those with larger budget might well consider super discounted GH1 and newest GH2 models as some of the better choices, especially if smallest size and continuous video shoot ability is important. 

To get past the battery running time limitation of 1.5 hours, Panasonic, at least for the FZ100, has battery connection accessory that makes powering the camera from external DC battery sources practical for unlimited running time.

For those wanting to know what the external Lumix models audio input jack is useful for, consider the discussion evolving on my site at: www.sonicstudios.com/videomic.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 02:48:07 PM »
I'm not sure that cam is pro enough for me to move away from my camcorder/Rebel combo.  I'm thinking more Canon/Nikon.

Fran

Offline Sockan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 03:13:31 PM »
I have a friend that really like the video part of GH2, so that part isn't a problem I think. It doesn't come close to his canon though in still photography.
GH2 has more noise in high ISO´s and the lens choices is far behind Canon/Nikon.
I haven't tried it myself, so I can't say anything about this...
Equipment:

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 03:36:29 PM »
I just really love a lot of the dslr footage I've seen.  More movie type stuff than music but I like the indi type look they produce (film like is I guess the term I'm looking for).  I would seriously consider a 5-D if not for the damn limit thing. 

I just need to buy this.  My brothers rig in LA.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:25:00 PM by Mark Burgin™ »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 04:31:45 PM »
chicks for free and money for nothing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWXDjiKVs2U

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 07:40:09 PM »
I just really love a lot of the dslr footage I've seen.  More movie type stuff than music but I like the indi type look they produce (film like is I guess the term I'm looking for).  I would seriously consider a 5-D if not for the damn limit thing. 

I just need to buy this.  My brothers rig in LA.

Other than Peter Jackson I didn't know anyone was using these. These are very cool and VERY pricy.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline printguy

• Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »
Lots of folks are using DSLRs to shoot video. An episode of House was shot with a 5D: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/13/canon-5d-mark-ii-used-to-shoot-entire-house-season-finale-direc/

The "film" look comes from lens, aperture, frame rate, lighting and aspect ratio - and post-processing. Oh... And skill!
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 01:28:15 PM »
Lots of folks are using DSLRs to shoot video. An episode of House was shot with a 5D: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/13/canon-5d-mark-ii-used-to-shoot-entire-house-season-finale-direc/

The "film" look comes from lens, aperture, frame rate, lighting and aspect ratio - and post-processing. Oh... And skill!

For most forms of true professional video DSLR is a great option. High quality, relatively low cost, superior optics, etc. The key problem becomes a long single continuous shot that is often needed for live concert performances, which is what a lot of the people here are looking to use the camera for. 

Offline fguidry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 03:03:23 PM »
I'm not sure that cam is pro enough for me to move away from my camcorder/Rebel combo.  I'm thinking more Canon/Nikon.

I'm just learning about video and photography. This guy seems to have a fair amount of experience, and picks the GH2 as the top choice in replaceable lens camera format video shooters: http://philipbloom.net/2010/12/07/whichdslr/

Due to the mirrorless micro 4/3 design, the GH2 can use practically any lens with the appropriate (lensless) adapter.

If you visit DVXuser.com you can peruse extensive discussions of the various choices. Several folks who described themselves as committed Canon users have said that they're switching to the GH2.

Fran

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 06:47:57 AM »
After reading about some of the models reviewed by Bloom, surprised to learn manual audio features in still cameras do exist, and some have actual VU level indicators.  Even better, one or two cameras with manual audio actual allow making level adjustments WHILE shooting, and NOT before LIKE MOST which block audio adjustments after staring a shoot.  I am thrilled to hear the GH2 has good chance of being one of those with active audio VU indication, and always working manual adjustment.  At least a good rumor of having such until verified with first shipment arriving in a few months.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline fguidry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 12:44:53 PM »
After reading about some of the models reviewed by Bloom, surprised to learn manual audio features in still cameras do exist, and some have actual VU level indicators.  Even better, one or two cameras with manual audio actual allow making level adjustments WHILE shooting, and NOT before LIKE MOST which block audio adjustments after staring a shoot.  I am thrilled to hear the GH2 has good chance of being one of those with active audio VU indication, and always working manual adjustment.  At least a good rumor of having such until verified with first shipment arriving in a few months.

OK, my GH2 is here. Good news on the video, especially the low light performance with the 20mm f1.7 pancake lens. Not so good on the audio. The quality is better than average using the built-in mics, and it is possible to activate a tiny little "vu" display that will at least warn of clipping, but the mic sensitivity is only adjustable to one of four levels, and I can't find a way to adjust it during the shot.

I'm still keeping the camera, though <grin>.

Fran

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2011, 01:04:40 PM »
Does the GH2 allow choice between ALC auto and Manual Level Control audio modes?

If manual mode is available, and VU shows at least there's a signal present and overload events, then sending high quality stereo from external audio devices having manual level control seems a practical way to make audio level adjustments while filming with this camera model. 

Offline fguidry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »
Does the GH2 allow choice between ALC auto and Manual Level Control audio modes?

If manual mode is available, and VU shows at least there's a signal present and overload events, then sending high quality stereo from external audio devices having manual level control seems a practical way to make audio level adjustments while filming with this camera model.

The place I go for in depth discussion of the GH2 and other video issues is DVXuser: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/

There's no option to turn off the AGC in the GH2, at least not that I've found so far. The AGC is pretty reasonable based on one test of recording amplified music, though.

Fran

Offline ingsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2011, 06:52:31 AM »

Fran

If you are going w/ a full frame sensor on the canon/nikon, then I would agree, but if not then I would go w/ a GH2.  Spend some time on dpreview.com looking at reviews, then time on flickr comparing images.
Mics: AKG C 414 B-XL II/ST, Nevaton MCE 400
Other: M148, AD-500e, AD-1000, ACM PMD 660, R09-HR, JB3

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2011, 09:33:34 AM »
If you are going w/ a full frame sensor on the canon/nikon, then I would agree, but if not then I would go w/ a GH2.  Spend some time on dpreview.com looking at reviews, then time on flickr comparing images.

The gh2 is small and interesting, for sure.  I haven't tried one, but the limited lens selection and lack of a traditional viewfinder are major drawbacks that would require a lot of mulling over.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »
I have a feeling more lenses for the micro 4/3 will be seen soon. I think the m4/3 is perfect for someone who wants almost a dslr but not the price.

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2011, 02:24:31 PM »
I have a feeling more lenses for the micro 4/3 will be seen soon. I think the m4/3 is perfect for someone who wants almost a dslr but not the price.

I'm not so sure, the price of DSLRs, particularly the entry level has dropped to nearly the same as the Micro four thirds cameras.  Add to this that the point and shoots continue to offer increased performance and functionality.  I don't think it will prove to be all that popular of a format.  Much like rangefinders from the film days.  Not a dig on the quality and functionality, just the reality of a competitive market.

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
Technology is still rapidly changing....  I know of only one constant: great lenses.  Active optics may change that.

In terms of cameras, the CCD and CMOS technology is still quite limited, and the approach is rather crude.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.206 seconds with 72 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com