Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: level help with DR2D  (Read 2325 times)

Offline zupanic

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
level help with DR2D
« on: March 12, 2011, 01:16:45 PM »
First off, here is my setup...
Church Audio CA-11 mics > SP-SPSB-8 battery module > Tascam DR-2D (line input)

I am new to digital recorders and I'm having trouble with the levels when testing this rig out. I followed the instruction manual with the Tascam. Monitor levels are up around 98. REC levels around 98. Gain set to MID. Tested it on a loud stereo moments ago and the levels looked good on the Tascam but when I play back on the computer using WinAmp, I can hear it, but it is quiet and levels on the meter are nonexistant. I don't feel I should have to set levels around 98 because the sound I'm recording (my stereo) seems at least close to the volume of a live concert and my wife is giving me dirty looks.
If any experienced DR-2D users could tell me where they generally have the above mentioned levels and/or gain set (for say concerts like Widespread Panic / Phish / etc) I would really appreciate it.

Thanks from a newbie...
Doug

Offline zupanic

• Taperssection Regular
Re: level help with DR2D
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 02:01:57 PM »
all is well when using the "mic in" input, but I was under the impression that the SP battery module would allow me to use "line in" for loud sounds.  Perhaps a SLAYER show if I was positioned right in front of a stack with the levels cranked.  Guess I'm gonna have to mess up a recording or two before I'm happy with it.

Would still love to hear from someone experienced with a rig similar to mine as to where to set the gain and monitor levels with mic-in vs line-in.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 03:20:08 PM »
Your stereo is no where near as loud as a rock concert.  Don't sweat it.  That said line in near 100 is about what you should need at a medium loud show.  Not a problem, line in you don't really want to adjust down (attenuate) too far if you can avoid it.

Also, the high/low/ mid gain setting does not affect line in, just mic in.

And edit to add, ere are 2 reasons to prefer line in, not sure why you would in your case.  You mit need to run line in if the signal is too hot for the mic in even on low sensitivity (eg, need to go below about 70 on the input level even when on low sensitivity).  Other is if you have a preamp to provide quieter gain.  Beyond that, nothing gained by avoiding mic in.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:36:29 PM by Will_S »

Offline zupanic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 11:02:41 AM »
I appreciate the help !
I taped a lot of shows from 1999 - 2001 and just got back into it with new gear. The game has changed a lot in the last decade.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 12:09:07 PM »
Your battery module is prividing power to your mics but not boosting the signal any.  You are going to need a really loud source to get those mics going.  The CA mics are made to handle high SPL without distorting so you'll need something much louder than your stereo to get them going if you are running line in.  Mic in will boost your signal some and make a difference.  If you plan on recording anything that's not really loud you might want to get a preamp.  I record loud rock bands in bars and very small places with CA-11 omnis and CA-9000 preamp and have to set the preamp to +10dB.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.177 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com