Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shure UHF-r Wireless - Excessive Battery Drain?  (Read 4120 times)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Shure UHF-r Wireless - Excessive Battery Drain?
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:04:29 AM »
I am working a corporate show right now with 6 channels of shure ur4d wireless kits.  I have used these mics in this particular room hundreds of times, but today my batteries in the mic packs are all being drained at an alarming rate.  We're running Duracell procell batts, just like always. 

I am using the wireless "fins" for antennas, going through an RF amp, distributed to my rack mounted receivers.  I am getting good RF signal, none of the mics are switching between the A and B channels.  Again, this setup has been used countless times but I can't figure out why my batteries are all dropping like flies.

Does anyone have suggestions?  I am perplexed.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Shure UHF-r Wireless - Excessive Battery Drain?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:45:24 AM »
Drain on wirelss is pretty constant, meaning the same battery life.  We run Shure stuff too where I work and only thing I can think of is batteries were not fresh when you put them in.  Maybe got used batteries in with new?  Or if they are all from the same new box then maybe a bad batch?  I can't think of anything that would cause a drastic change on the battery life.  Even if it was switching shouldn't use any noticeable difference in power.   I'd check voltage on a few others from the box. 

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 12:24:07 PM »
Turns out my assistant engineer used a different brand of batteries (energizer) than what we normally use (Duracell procell).  I wasn't aware of this until we had a break in the program and i pulled the packs off our presenters. Lesson learned- never going to use energizer batteries in these mics again!

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

kirk97132

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 02:30:41 PM »
We use Energizer Industrial but I can't say that I've run them against the Duracell procell

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »
These batteries were clearly bought from CVS or equivalent.  Not the industrial ones, which I've used with good results.  Really not sure why there is a difference between regular and "pro" versions of aa batteries, but that is another thread.

Kirk have you used the shure wireless workbench software?  Our units have Ethernet and USB ports on the back, apparently you can do some pretty cool things with the software.  I need to check it out.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:45:18 PM »
We use Energizer Industrial with our UHF-R mics, and we change batteries every chance we get. Point out to your A2, that good batteries are still cheaper than having a mic fail mid-show.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

kirk97132

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:04:16 PM »
Patrick without actually checking it sounds like your stuff is a step above our stuff.  Ouor is "old fashioned" XLR. 1/4" line out.  We don't have no fancy antennas, but we do use a distro for the antennas.  Hell I was happy when we finally made the step away from VHF years ago.  Talk about a pain in the ass.

As for batteries The heavy duty stuff does make a difference compared to off the shelf brands.  suprisingly I have had some real good experiences with panasonic batteries.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 04:10:37 AM »
Are you sure the batteries are genuine?

There are people making fakes and a short life is what I would expect from a fake.

Or they were a bad batch.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Kirk we have both ulx and UHF shure wireless units.  For the high end shows, we pull out the high end mics... And only those can be networked.  The idea of remotely controlling the power to our transmitters is a very cool idea. 

For this morning's show we procured some Duracell procell batteries and all is well. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.172 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com