Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKGefell Active Project v5  (Read 81447 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AKGefell Active Project v5
« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2013, 11:52:45 AM »
Jon's are $108 a pair.

Bob's are $450 a pair.

That must be some really expensive powder coat.

When is your setup being released and how much will it cost?

Where's that popcorn smiley when I need it....?

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »
Jon's are $108 a pair.

Bob's are $450 a pair.

That must be some really expensive powder coat.

When is your setup being released and how much will it cost?

Where's that popcorn smiley when I need it....?

Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2013, 12:04:17 PM »
I don't get why people are complaining about pricing.  Don't buy them if you think they are too expensive.  It's that simple.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2013, 01:52:25 PM »
We know Jons sounds good http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=159568.0 , We can assume follows does too
are the differences in cost worth it based on the rest of the design/setup? Thats a personal thing each individual needs to weigh.
I feel there are plus/minus to both designs for me. (for example)
do they replace the body
do they fit a kwon bar or do I need another mount
can the cables be fixed easy/changed in length fast and easy
are they easy to stealth
Do Jons cover all of these/does Follows cover all of these? Is there something one has over the other? is there something Follows has that makes it worth the extra money? All of these depend on each user and each user should weigh their options.
I think everyone at least thought for a minute why is this one more or less then the other - now just look at the complete design and see which one is best for you.
I don't feel people need to give either design a hard time because they both are progress and imo good.
On the flip side I don't feel people need to give a member a hard time for posting their opinions/questions.
Thanks to everyone who has worked on these including 11 and here's to hoping his comes to life too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2013, 02:11:11 PM »
I don't get why people are complaining about pricing.  Don't buy them if you think they are too expensive.  It's that simple.

:clapping:

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2013, 02:16:44 PM »
We know Jons sounds good http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=159568.0 , We can assume follows does too
are the differences in cost worth it based on the rest of the design/setup? Thats a personal thing each individual needs to weigh.

This.  As I see it these are the questions: 
1. Is there a manufacturer-based solution?  (For Schoeps, yes, AKG, sort-of (the out-of-production CK1x), Gefell, no) 
2. Do you like the price? (and if you have a branded alternative, relative to that alternative?)
3. Do you like the sound?
4. Does the convenience/form factor improve you rig?
5. Does it work with your existing stuff?

To me, the AKG and Gefell solutions are the most exciting because they don't have any existing in-production product they compete with.  Not that the Schoeps solution doesn't also have good things to say for it, but it obviously has Schoeps-branded products to compete against. 

As to the price of one set vs. the other, well, the prices for both ought to be what the market will bear.  Once they've both seen more time in the field I am sure people will have opinions.  And what is right for one person may not be for another.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »
I don't see why people must cunt up this thread.

Funny, coming from someone who rips off designs.

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2013, 02:49:54 PM »
People have been talking about this stuff for years (and there was ONLY talk) now that a few folks
have the balls to take it to completion, there are complaints.....the market will dictate the price.
I'm sure lots of Gefell users won't be waitin on a cheaper solution. Thanks guys, can't wait to try em.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:51:45 PM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »

which were ripped off by Kwon from Schoeps originally, so STFU. I only made the mounts b/c apparently nobody was making them anymore and I wanted some of my own. I also added the following mounts to the line: ORTF, wORTF, MidSide, short Vertical Address AB, long Vertical Address AB. Anything esle?  :-*
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:57:34 PM by NOLAfishwater »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2013, 02:59:40 PM »

which were ripped off from Schoeps originally, so STFU. I only made the mounts b/c apparently nobody was making them anymore and I wanted some of my own. I also added the following mounts to the line: ORTF, wORTF, MidSide, short Vertical Address AB, long Vertical Address AB. Anything esle?  :-*

Schoeps never produced the vertical address bar.  That was my design.

You ripped that one off from me.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2013, 03:23:16 PM »

which were ripped off from Schoeps originally, so STFU. I only made the mounts b/c apparently nobody was making them anymore and I wanted some of my own. I also added the following mounts to the line: ORTF, wORTF, MidSide, short Vertical Address AB, long Vertical Address AB. Anything esle?  :-*

Schoeps never produced the vertical address bar.  That was my design.

You ripped that one off from me.

there was a void, i put up the cash to have them made, and finally I delivered the product. less yapping, more action. keep in mind that I never did this to make money but simply to satisfy people's demand for it. I have a day job and this is pretty much a waste of my time.

Offline followinbob

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2013, 04:35:25 PM »
alot of work inside these things to make them lighter. yes the .315 diameter is same as schoeps on all colettes to fit the bars out there. thought about right angle side exit to make them shorter and lighter but you would need my hat clips. i would also have to make mini shock mounts for the stand guys. if i run my schoeps open taping i use the bodies though so i don't understand just putting capsules on a stand.

as far as stealing someones design louie and i both had the idea for a bar i am making.  the one i already made is too cool, beefy and i am sure too expensive for 90% of the people on here. it is capable of putting probably 10 pairs of mics on it. maybe more.
schoeps cmc-6/mk4----->sound devices 722  stealth

schoeps cmc-6/mk4--->lunatec v3----> sound devices 722  open recording

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2013, 04:40:23 PM »
don't think he was referring to the 2' bar but rather the delrin stereo mounts.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2013, 04:45:23 PM »
if i run my schoeps open taping i use the bodies though so i don't understand just putting capsules on a stand.

it's useful for situations where you're supposed to keep a very limited visual imprint (either to hide that you're taping a band that allows taping, but not where you're setup, or when you're running on stage or stage lip). Thats the biggest use. The only other one I've seen is weight; if you have to put 10 or 15+ pairs of mics on a stand without exceeding the weight limitations of support equipment.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline followinbob

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2013, 05:03:58 PM »
idk. i have a beefy stand. i am a steath guy anyway. schoeps---->722.  all the fuss about tiny stuff and i have never not sneaked it in and i have never been caught going in. been snitched out twice inside the show. people i know did it too.  came up with the 2 foot wide beefy bar through taping los lobos. a few places we were at there was only room for one stand.  just thought it would be cool to fit everyone if we had to.
schoeps cmc-6/mk4----->sound devices 722  stealth

schoeps cmc-6/mk4--->lunatec v3----> sound devices 722  open recording

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com