Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKGefell Active Project v5  (Read 81510 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AKGefell Active Project v5
« Reply #255 on: January 18, 2013, 12:23:24 PM »
Thats not cheap

Certainly not. But my other (wishful) alternative is the DPA route, which would end up being more....at least, for the new "compact" setup offered by them. I've always longed for Gefells and with a new job going, it seems like the possibility is ever increasing.

Which DPA? The compact stereo kit is like 3500. However the 2011c's are 799 each. Not sure if they would be good for what we do. ??? Too bad the Gefells are 1500 new.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #256 on: January 18, 2013, 12:31:50 PM »
Yeah, I was referring to the compact stereo kit.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2013, 12:53:59 PM »
Which DPA? The compact stereo kit is like 3500. However the 2011c's are 799 each. Not sure if they would be good for what we do. ??? Too bad the Gefells are 1500 new.

The AKG route is definitely the most economical and, assuming this hits any kind of scale, would be by far the least expensive HQ rig going, considering that even buying new you would not be that far above $1k for a complete rig.

MBHO caps also also closer to AKG in price...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2013, 01:26:39 PM »
I have a feeling Dactylus will be coming out of early retirement when he hears about the progress being made on Gefell actives.

Yep, you have my attention now and I'm finally starting to get the itch again... 

Health problems suck ass, and I'm ready to talk about anything but that!

:angel:
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2013, 01:35:29 PM »
I have a feeling Dactylus will be coming out of early retirement when he hears about the progress being made on Gefell actives.

Yep, you have my attention now and I'm finally starting to get the itch again... 

:clapping:

Can't wait to see you out again!
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #260 on: January 18, 2013, 02:50:21 PM »
thought about right angle side exit to make them shorter and lighter but you would need my hat clips. i would also have to make mini shock mounts for the stand guys. if i run my schoeps open taping i use the bodies though so i don't understand just putting capsules on a stand.
If a right-angle setup can be done, sort of like a DPA 4021, mark me down for a set.  Hat clips or mini shock mounts might be nice, but I'd have no problem using elastic bands in my hat, and mic clips on a shock-mounted bar.  DPA shock mounts like the CSM4000 would probably work too.  I'm certainly open to anything else you come up with, but I don't think a lack of mounting options is a hindrance to a right-angle setup, at least not for me.

I think a lot of us end up in situations where we're allowed to openly record, but keeping a low profile is still a requirement.  I taped a show at City Winery last week and the primary requirement was that my mics not interfere with anyone's sight lines.  Flying only the capsules made that a lot easier.  Plus, let's not forget that your active cables plus a set of Naiant's PFAs would cost about half as much as a used pair of CMC6 bodies.  I haven't had a chance to do a PFA vs CMC comparison yet, but I have a feeling the less expensive solution will more than hold its own.

Keep up the good work!
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #261 on: January 18, 2013, 03:36:28 PM »
Finally now a lot more ppl will love the axtive setup. Its so easy and foolproof youll never look baxk!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #262 on: January 18, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »
what about nick's time designing the circuits?

I had always heard that was Bill Reutelhuber's design.

Nick and Bill are working on this together.  Back in the day I convinced bill to undertake the development by buying the original set of MK4 capsules.  Those are the caps I use today.

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #263 on: January 18, 2013, 05:25:50 PM »

Nick and Bill are working on this together.  Back in the day I convinced bill to undertake the development by buying the original set of MK4 capsules.  Those are the caps I use today.

This is what I was told also. While I was there, Nick played the Edie Brickell test recording. Not too bad for the first time.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:27:34 PM by larrysellers »

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #264 on: January 18, 2013, 06:36:22 PM »

This is what I was told also. While I was there, Nick played the Edie Brickell test recording. Not too bad for the first time.

I remember that night very well.  We had no idea what to expect and when we got back to my place we were very pleasantly surprised. 

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #265 on: January 18, 2013, 06:45:11 PM »

I remember that night very well.  We had no idea what to expect and when we got back to my place we were very pleasantly surprised.

And what a fine night it was, The  birth of the best sounding schoeps actives..Thanks to you daspy!!   

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #266 on: January 18, 2013, 09:40:38 PM »

And what a fine night it was, The  birth of the best sounding schoeps actives..Thanks to you daspy!!

And thanks to you I can now travel by air with it.  ;D  I will send you my rbox for repairs real soon.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline audBall

• Feel brand new about it
« Reply #268 on: January 19, 2013, 09:32:44 AM »
Non-alcoholic?!? Bah, they could've at least made it an IPA.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2013, 11:02:47 AM »

Health problems suck ass, and I'm ready to talk about anything but that!

:angel:

Awesome news David!
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com