Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noob external power question  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Noob external power question
« on: May 02, 2012, 06:43:27 AM »
Last year I retrofitted two iRecharge laptop batteries for Festival recording with my old Denecke PS2 and AD20 to feed a iRiver for three days of fun...well they were not what I expected...they didn't last as long as two generic Chinese 9v's  :(

The Denecke PS2 will accept 6.8v to 18v and AD20 will accept 5.5v to 25v per their specs on the brochure at http://www.denecke.com/Products/Audio%20Accessories/audioaccessories.htm

So in preparation for this years summer schedule I went and bought LDC's and Avenson Omni's both power sucking microphones...and now want to power them...two questions. Consider that the Avenson Power consumption is P48 phantom power (~6 mA) which is the worse case scenario....

I have 2 - 7.2v Tamyia RC Batteries that are still good...these are 3800mah so that is about 26wh of power x2.

OR I could go with a different 61wh laptop backup battery that is 16v

Other than the higher watt hour laptop backup is there any advantage to either? I.E. will the extra voltage of the 16v unit just be turned into heat?

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Noob external power question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 04:42:58 PM »
a non-answer, but -- I'd hook up the entire rig using your existing rc batteries, press record and see how many hours you get before your low battery lights come on -- then I'd repeat a few times (after recharging the batteries).  Nothing like real life experience -- if the run times meet/exceed your expectations, you'd be good2go --

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Noob external power question
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:41:29 AM »
Excess voltage is bled off as heat in most units. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com