Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreens for small diameter condenser microphones?  (Read 24060 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Windscreens for small diameter condenser microphones?
« on: April 04, 2013, 02:48:19 PM »
A few years ago I did my own informal testing and determined that the Shure A7WS A81WS sounded the most natural to me for windy outdoor recording.
I thought at the time that they sounded more natural than the DPA UA0896.

But, I've been thinking about this again and wonder if there is any definitive information online about windscreens. Like, which ones work the best and sound the best.

I'd love to save some space in my gear bag if there are windscreens that work as well as the Shure A7WS A81WS but don't take up so much space.

Edited to fix part number error.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:38:41 PM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Windscreens for small diameter condenser microphones?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 05:28:16 PM »
Is the A7WS what is refered to around here as the 'big-ass shure' (B.A.S.)?

I've not come across a comparison between various foam screens, although some manufacturers list test figures for rumble reduction and also frequency attenuation at something like 15kHz.  Since the primary negative of foam screens is attenuated highs, I suspect the prefered screens will be dependant on the response of the microphone.  I use the B.A.S. on the MG M94s which have a pretty strong diffuse-field type peak up top- it's sort of like EQing that down to a flatter response curve.

I did come across an interesting paper years ago by Jorge Wuttke and posted about it at TS before in another windscreen tread a few years back, probably with a link to the paper.  If I can find it again I'll post a link here.  In it he discusses wind protection, how and why various approaches work, their problems and advantages, etc.  His conclusions as I recall were more generic than what you are probably looking for, suggesting the superiority of foam over basket-style screens in sonic terms (mostly due to the isotropic nature of the foam creating no internal reflections from a supporting basket or outer cover), as long as the wind rumble reduction of the foam screen is sufficient to stop the wind noise.

It was intersting to learn that besides attenuating highs (which he says is more or less completely and transparently reversible with an inverse EQ boost), foam screens actually change the polar pattern of directional mics somewhat by reducing the velocity component of the sound waves reaching the capsule.  That doesn't effect true single-diaphram pressure omnis of course.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »
Chuck,
are you sure about the Shure model number?
I have the A81WS, which has a smaller diameter opening than the A7WS

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 06:41:06 PM »
Yea I have the a81ws screens. 2 pair actually. They are the most natural sounding to me!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 07:39:30 PM »
Darby, you are right. Thanks! I had the wrong Shure part #.

I fixed the first post.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline MIQ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 02:37:44 AM »

I did come across an interesting paper years ago by Jorge Wuttke and posted about it at TS before in another windscreen tread a few years back, probably with a link to the paper.  If I can find it again I'll post a link here.  In it he discusses wind protection, how and why various approaches work, their problems and advantages, etc.  His conclusions as I recall were more generic than what you are probably looking for, suggesting the superiority of foam over basket-style screens in sonic terms (mostly due to the isotropic nature of the foam creating no internal reflections from a supporting basket or outer cover), as long as the wind rumble reduction of the foam screen is sufficient to stop the wind noise.

It was intersting to learn that besides attenuating highs (which he says is more or less completely and transparently reversible with an inverse EQ boost), foam screens actually change the polar pattern of directional mics somewhat by reducing the velocity component of the sound waves reaching the capsule.  That doesn't effect true single-diaphram pressure omnis of course.

Lee, I think you are refering to "Microphones and Wind" - Jorg Wuttke AES 1992.  Like you noted, he shows some interesting freq response graphs showing how whack the high freq (>5kHZ) response gets due to reflections when using a basket type wind screen.  Some of the benefit of the basket style design (enclosed volume of air around the capsuel) can be gotten, without the reflections, by using a foam screen that has a small open area around the capsule ("hollow foam").  The basket design definitely works better at low freq (<200Hz).

This DPA article has some similar stuff with an obvious nod to their WINDPAC product.  http://soundsofnewmexico.com/PDF_Files/Microphones,_High_Wind_and_Rain_(DM02992)_(DPA).pdf

-MIQ

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:22:59 AM »
That's the one.

Some of the benefit of the basket style design (enclosed volume of air around the capsuel) can be gotten, without the reflections, by using a foam screen that has a small open area around the capsule ("hollow foam").

I expect the double density foam design of the Shure A81WS with the more open foam on the inside around the capsule operates somewhat in that way.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline axomxa

• Taperssection Member
  • If it ain't live, it ain't Dead
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 12:35:18 AM »
Most natural and the most protective also.  I too have two pair for outdoors. Recorded the outdoor moe set at Killington a couple of weeks ago in pretty good gusts (and snow) with zero distortion.  Can be cumbersome but for festies I carry the B. A. B. (bag) to go with the B. A. S.  ;)   
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 12:38:11 AM by axomxa »
Mics: MBHO 603 (KA200N, matched pair) / AKG C460B (ck63, a60/ck1, NBob/PFA actives) / Senn MS14P (MKE 4012 supercards & 4010 cards) / AKG SE300B (ck91 & ck92)
Mic Cables: 15' 3 channel GAKable / 15' custom Star Quad / 12' Mogami
Pres/ADC:  Grace V3 / Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD20
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod) / Tascam D70 / Sony PCM-D50

Photography rig:
Canon 60D, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

LMA tapes:   https://archive.org/search.php?query=crupi%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&sort=-publicdate
Etree tapes:  http://bt.etree.org/?searchsss=axomxa&cat=0

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 05:54:07 AM »
All windscreens work in basically the same way - by making a volume of still air around the microphone.

The larger the volume. the better the wind protection.

It's basically as simple as that.

So - a smaller windshield would not be better than a larger one.

But, with foam windshields, the sound refracts within the foam - to these can colour the sound more.  This is why some better foam windshields are two layer with the inner layer being a more coarse foam so the sound does nor refract and colour the sound so much.  But these are obviously more expensive than a simple and cheap windshield.

Offline haftodo

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 11:05:36 PM »
How do you store or carry your Shure A81ws windscreen without crushing them?   I just got some and was a surprised at the size
-haf

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 11:46:31 PM »
I use a PortaBrace CP Pouch clipped to the side of my bag to carry my A81s. Also good for the Rycote Softies though only one pair of each will fit in the pouch. Others use the smaller coffee "cans" for storage, the 11.3 oz/320gr size is the best fit.

I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 06:30:27 PM »
How do you store or carry your Shure A81ws windscreen without crushing them?   I just got some and was a surprised at the size
-haf

I have a fanny pack for each setup. They fit perfectly in those IMO ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline haftodo

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 08:59:03 PM »
I use a PortaBrace CP Pouch clipped to the side of my bag to carry my A81s. Also good for the Rycote Softies though only one pair of each will fit in the pouch. Others use the smaller coffee "cans" for storage, the 11.3 oz/320gr size is the best fit.
------------------------------------------------------------
I like the porta brace, but coffee cans are a great idea.  I have a 10oz cafe bustelo can and it fits pretty well.  The foam sticks up just a hair but with the plastic cap it works fine.

Do you think the smell of coffee will help the screen perform better  ;D

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »
-haf

I use two small 10oz Folgers Plastic jars...the lid is secure and has not degraded with multiple openings and closings...fit is perfect just a bit larger than the Big Ass Shure

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline time will tell

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 01:14:47 PM »
How do you determine the proper windscreen for the mic that you have? I have the busman bsc-1's and I am not sure how to go about getting the proper windscreen for them. Is the inside diameter pretty constant for samll diameter microphone windscreens?

It would be nice if I could walk into a store and size it up easily. It seems that nobody stocks windscreens in the store.
"Floating through liquid air, with music everywhere."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com