Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naiant IPA  (Read 123564 times)

Offline lostsailor89

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Naiant IPA
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »
How does an IPA work for mbhos? do i need 1 or 2? 

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2017, 01:05:24 AM »
MBHO an Milab require two IPA's to run balanced...you can run one unbalanced...I guess

Here is my MBHO IPA setup

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:55:30 AM by Hypnocracy »

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2017, 04:23:21 AM »
What I was hoping to do was actually get the mic cable modified by Jon and chop off the XLR connectors to replace them with mini-XLR then put the female end of the mini-XLR to the original large XLR so that I could have a small XLR-Mini XLR cable to plug into any phantom powered pre, or plug into the IPA cable.  (which would be female mini-XLR > IPA > 3.5mm male)

I seem to recall that the DPA compacts have electronics in the XLR connectors, so I don't think the second scenario (miniXLR > IPA) would work if you chopped them...

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »
What I was hoping to do was actually get the mic cable modified by Jon and chop off the XLR connectors to replace them with mini-XLR then put the female end of the mini-XLR to the original large XLR so that I could have a small XLR-Mini XLR cable to plug into any phantom powered pre, or plug into the IPA cable.  (which would be female mini-XLR > IPA > 3.5mm male)

I seem to recall that the DPA compacts have electronics in the XLR connectors, so I don't think the second scenario (miniXLR > IPA) would work if you chopped them...

Yes, I'm pretty sure they do. The dpa4061s that I have use an adapter that definitely has electronics in it when plugging into XLR. But I use the same mics WITHOUT the XLR adaptor plugged into a 9v battery-powered CA ugly, and used them with a ca9100 for a while...

so shouldn't the DPA4021 set be able to be powered in a similar way?

I'm sure I will have to ask Jon all this, but honestly, every time I try to do something I get hit with all sorts of terminology I have to go look up later and it slows the momentum. I currently use this Schoeps CMR rig that was put together by hi and lo:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=147294.msg1889013#msg1889013

and I'd like to be able to pull this off with my dpa4021 set, replacing the tinybox with the Naiant IPA option.
I'm just not sure its possible without a lot of confusion on my part.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:12:56 PM by jb63 »
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2017, 07:49:11 PM »

and I'd like to be able to pull this off with my dpa4021 set, replacing the tinybox with the Naiant IPA option...

The IPA is a direct replacement for the Tinybox, so you could certainly use it with the 402x microphones (i.e. 402x > IPA > M10), but personally I would question the elegance of that solution versus running into a recorder that supplies phantom (i.e. the PMD-661, which I believe you already own). I also don't think it would be any better than your existing Tinybox.

Going back a few posts, I'm wondering why you find the 4021 > Tinybox setup burdensome? To me it sounds like a more elegant cabling solution is all that is required. As for the brickwalling, it shouldn't if you use the +4dB gain setting and you could even consider having that lowered to 0dB. What gain settings does it currently have?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2017, 08:19:14 PM »

and I'd like to be able to pull this off with my dpa4021 set, replacing the tinybox with the Naiant IPA option...

The IPA is a direct replacement for the Tinybox, so you could certainly use it with the 402x microphones (i.e. 402x > IPA > M10), but personally I would question the elegance of that solution versus running into a recorder that supplies phantom (i.e. the PMD-661, which I believe you already own). I also don't think it would be any better than your existing Tinybox.

Going back a few posts, I'm wondering why you find the 4021 > Tinybox setup burdensome? To me it sounds like a more elegant cabling solution is all that is required. As for the brickwalling, it shouldn't if you use the +4dB gain setting and you could even consider having that lowered to 0dB. What gain settings does it currently have?
the IPA doesn't supply 48v though correct?
The TB does and that right there is huge imo. I can run plug in mic, "actives", and 48v on the TB I own
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2017, 09:32:22 PM »

the IPA doesn't supply 48v though correct?
The TB does and that right there is huge imo. I can run plug in mic, "actives", and 48v on the TB I own

I think you're right. Creating full phantom from an A23 battery doesn't really seem possible. Not sure if he has any other options, but yeah... it's not really a TB replacement if it doesn't provide phantom.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2017, 09:47:03 PM »
I thought there were 60V versions of the IPA? If so, it would seem 48V would be available.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2017, 09:49:48 PM »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2017, 10:49:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's the input power.

Phantom power and polarization voltages are very different. Phantom is 48v and specced for up to 10mA current draw. Polarization voltage (I.e 60v) has a minuscule current draw. You can measure it micro amps or less, which is why you can power it using an A23 battery.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2017, 02:44:14 PM »
No P48 with the IPA!! 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2017, 09:51:35 AM »
Has anyone powered their IPA from an external, non phantom source using the DC in?
If so, how have you done it?
Plug size on the IPA?
Good small battery pack? Perhaps USB, I think the IPA can run on 5v.

The A23 battery is great for stealthing, but I'd love to use my KCY IPA for channels 5/6 on my Mixpre6, and I want to bury the thing in my bag and use with a rechargeable battery. Any leads?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2017, 08:39:06 PM »
Has anyone powered their IPA from an external, non phantom source using the DC in?
If so, how have you done it?
Plug size on the IPA?
Good small battery pack? Perhaps USB, I think the IPA can run on 5v.

The A23 battery is great for stealthing, but I'd love to use my KCY IPA for channels 5/6 on my Mixpre6, and I want to bury the thing in my bag and use with a rechargeable battery. Any leads?

I have been curious about this also but the details are not clear to me

From naiant.com "about the 2017 IPA"

– A 5V-12V converter cable enables use of 5V USB battery packs with the IPA. 5V packs can be cheaper and smaller than available 12V external packs, so this cable will offer the smallest possible external battery pack solution.

So you need a special cable to use 5v? I would use 12v anyways but...

On the page where you order a IPA:

The external power jack is 1.7mm ID, 4.4mm OD, center-positive.  A compatible power supply is available on the X-R accessory menu.

- there is a $9 option for a 12v power supply on the X-r accessory menu but I assume this is a 12v power supply you plug in. Can any 12v power supply be use as long as you have a cable with the correct size connector?
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2017, 09:59:07 AM »
Yeah, I was hoping for a dc plug to USB cable to use with the same USB-C + USB-A battery I use with my mixpre6.

I wonder if ted could wire something up....
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline jahorro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2017, 11:00:13 AM »
I asked Ted to build a custom cable 4.0mm x 1.7mm (to power the IPA) to 4.75mm x 1.7mm (plugged into my 12V external battery - Fotodiox Turbopack 9000 Power Pack).

This external battery successfully powered up my IPA, which supported my KCY > Neumann AK40 caps (KCY cables built by Nick).

I've used this set up nicely for a few recordings over the last few months.
Recorders: Zoom H6, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10 | Preamps: Tinybox, IPA, Tascam iXJ2 | Mics: Neumann KM140s

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com