Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what do you think the best current 4ch deck is?  (Read 15904 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
what do you think the best current 4ch deck is?
« on: June 01, 2016, 10:29:51 PM »
just wondering......hypothetically ... if you had to strip down to a single deck...and you had really good mics for the assumed XLRs that make two of the four channels ....
what's your choice?

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Re: what do you think the best current 4ch deck is?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 11:26:45 PM »
I like the/my R44 better than anything else I've seen in person. Easy menus, transparent sound, inputs are XLR/TRS combos. AA batteries are a downside, but it's easy to externally power.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 07:47:49 AM »
Sonosax SX-R4+
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 09:23:01 AM »
The 744 is an absolute beast. Even with all the newer Sound Devices recorders out today, the 744 still gets tons of respect in the location sound/film world. I have one in excellent/almost mint condition for sale if you want it lol.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:34:43 AM by Mic D »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 09:26:52 AM »
^ 744 if $ not a problem.

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 09:46:54 AM »
The 744 is an absolute beast. Even with all the newer Sound Devices recorders out today, the 744 still gets tons of respect in the location sound/film world. I have one in excellent/almost mint condition for sale if you want it lol.

Love my 744 but you only get 2 XLR inputs with pres.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 10:17:49 AM »

Yes, only two pre's but the TA3-F connectors are basically "mini xlr's", so 4 xlr inputs, with the adapters. Plus he said...

"...and you had really good mics for the assumed XLRs that make two of the four channels ...."
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:32:49 AM by Mic D »

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 10:47:33 AM »

Yes, only two pre's but the TAF-3 connectors are basically "mini xlr's", so 4 xlr inputs, with the adapters. Plus he said...

"...and you had really good mics for the assumed XLRs that make two of the four channels ...."

Missed that, then yes...744!

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 05:06:36 PM »
744 is a great value for less than 2Gs.

But if price isn't an issue...SX-R4+
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:15:07 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 05:48:20 PM »

Or the lack of a hold button.  :facepalm:
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 03:55:25 AM »

You've mentioned this before. Don't know where you are getting your info from, but you're dead wrong. The 7xx series *does* indeed have a hold function. I can power on the deck, hit record, and lock it in about 5 seconds. Another 10-20 seconds to set levels. The rest of the show I just chill near the bag to make sure no one dumps a rack of suds on it or tackles the stand.

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 08:02:58 AM »

You've mentioned this before. Don't know where you are getting your info from, but you're dead wrong. The 7xx series *does* indeed have a hold function. I can power on the deck, hit record, and lock it in about 5 seconds. Another 10-20 seconds to set levels. The rest of the show I just chill near the bag to make sure no one dumps a rack of suds on it or tackles the stand.

bingo!!

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 08:37:12 AM »

bingo!!

yes, the hold functionality most definitely works on the 7xx's. I have used it hundreds of times in stealth situations and wouldn't use a 7xx without this feature.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 09:01:38 AM »
Not to mention the clean gain and excellent metering. 

stevetoney

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 01:35:53 PM »

He might be mistaking the 744 for the zoom F8, which has a completely useless hold function as currently designed.

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 05:17:28 AM »
What about the best low priced 4ch deck? Particularly with very good mic preamps?

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 07:21:34 PM »
What about the best low priced 4ch deck? Particularly with very good mic preamps?

Used R-44.  ;D
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 07:41:07 PM »

That depends on your definition of "low priced" and "very good preamps".  What is your budget and what are you recording?  There are a quite a few units with good built-in preamps nowadays, but some of the more expensive options might be more than you need.  I want a SD 788, but I don't need it.  (...and it's a moot point since I can't afford it.)

The DR-70D is far from perfect but hard to beat for the price.  Currently on sale for $210 at B&H.  I had mine upgraded which cost about another $135 because I wanted a bit more transparency for what I do, but if you're doing louder amplified stuff the stock preamps are more than up to the task.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 09:51:19 PM »
This is actually an incredibly soft spot in the market right now. The only two decks not disqualified for being play school toys are:

R-44
744T

Unfortunately, both these decks are ancient and the only other options on the market are 6-8 channels or cost north of $5000, falling into the unrealistic category. Sound Devices really needs to stop working on mixers and update their recorder line. I would also love to see some new players *coughgracecough." Still crossing my fingers for that V4.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 10:24:45 PM »
This is actually an incredibly soft spot in the market right now. The only two decks not disqualified for being play school toys are:

R-44
744T

Unfortunately, both these decks are ancient and the only other options on the market are 6-8 channels or cost north of $5000, falling into the unrealistic category. Sound Devices really needs to stop working on mixers and update their recorder line. I would also love to see some new players *coughgracecough." Still crossing my fingers for that V4.

Sure, Sound Devices needs to get moving on a revamped 7-series, but I had to laugh at the bold statements above.  I could send you quite a few very good recordings I've made with my "play school toys" as I'm sure could many, many other members here.  Not everyone has the scratch for Sound Devices, Sonosax, Nagra and such.  And there's no need to spend anywhere near $5000 for high-quality recording 6-8 channels or above, unless you are a professional and need all of the features of those highest-level units and/or the very best built-in preamps.  Obvious examples at much lower cost are DR-680, HS-P82, Zoom F8... etc.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 10:45:02 AM »
I'm sure I''l get slammed for this but I say the Tascam Dr70d.

It's $200. Use a card on the approved list and it's rock solid.

Save your money for transducers.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 12:53:41 PM »
Never saw a compelling reason to go for anything other than my R-44 for field recording. I'd rather invest in a good preamp and better mics.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 01:13:38 PM »
I'm solidly in the Edirol/Roland R-44 camp when it comes to a reasonably priced, reliable 4-channel recorder.  I've had mine for just about 8 years and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble in that time.  Works every time, all the time, with any SD card I've thrown at it.  Solid as a rock.  If I have to ding the R-44 for anything it's that it can't (I believe) handle a card any larger than 32 GB.  But even with those you'll still get over 12 hours of recording time on 4 tracks at 24/48. 

If I could afford, or rationalize, purchasing a Sound Devices 744/788 I would probably grab one.  But even in the used market they are more than twice what a new R-44 costs. 

With the decks that will work flawlessly as long as you stick to the approved SD card list, that's fine and I'm glad for the folks that are very happy with their recorders.  What makes me uneasy about that is the "what if": your card craps out and you don't have a backup, you need to purchase another that day for a show that night, there are a few available but you cannot find one that's on the approved list.  Roll the dice on a non-approved card?  Might be a silly scenario, but with all the other random variables that a taper has to worry about in a typical situation, the last thing I want to be concerned with is whether or not the card in my deck is going to give me issues.  My .02 cents.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 01:36:21 PM »
Agreed but always carry spares of whatever is reasonable price-wise and weight & volume-wise. SD cards are cheap now.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline kubacheck

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My Flickr site
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2016, 12:24:38 PM »
is there a 4 channel recorder that can accept two different mini-plugs as sources??.... so I can run both tinybox rigs into one recorder rather than having to use two r-05's....

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2016, 12:39:50 PM »
is there a 4 channel recorder that can accept two different mini-plugs as sources??.... so I can run both tinybox rigs into one recorder rather than having to use two r-05's....

All of them can. Connector format is trivial, you just need the appropriate adapter cables.

If you wanted to run into an XLR input, the only thing to watch out for would be engaging phantom, otherwise the inputs are more than happy to accept the Tinybox's unbalanced TRS output.

Offline kubacheck

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My Flickr site
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2016, 12:53:20 PM »

All of them can. Connector format is trivial, you just need the appropriate adapter cables.

If you wanted to run into an XLR input, the only thing to watch out for would be engaging phantom, otherwise the inputs are more than happy to accept the Tinybox's unbalanced TRS output.

that's a good point.... so then I'm wondering if any of them actually have two separate mini-ins??

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2016, 03:46:26 AM »
SXR4+ if $$ is no concern, even though Ive only heard 1 single show from it :P Im basing this decision based on the older SXR4 and how good its preamps sounded, so Im sure the SXR4+ is right up there!

Tascam 70D[with APPROVED SD card :P] if $$ IS a concern ;) It does 4 channel and has Phantom on ALL 4 XLR inputs!!! Its a stripped down deck with just what you need from it to get by, without a ton of options to sort through! I did wish it had better metering and monitoring, but for what it is and how good it sounds, its easily the best 4 channel deck out there for the $$ IMO! As always, YMMV! But I have [2] 70D's and they have treated me very good so far 8)

The 744 is old news IMO, and sounds as good as most cheaper decks do now IMO! Not a bad thing, I just think that preamps have come a long way since the 744/722 came out! Not to mention it only has 2 inputs with Phantom Power :P But reliability-wise, the 7xx is HARD to beat! The 788 preamps sound a little better to me than the 744/722/702 preamps, but that could just be in my head lol :P ;D And obviously, the SD metering is the BEST out there! That said, I wouldn't turn down a free 744 ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2016, 07:39:56 AM »
And, of course, there's the Zoom H6, 4 channels on board and 6 channels with the 3.5mm socket on the  XY mic module or add on XLR module.

Preamps perfectly good enough for music and dialogue, if you want to record a flea sneezing, maybe not  :)

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2016, 09:48:03 AM »

Tascam DR2d natively accepts two stereo mini plug inputs.  Most importantly it is basically same size as an R-05.  It similarly replaced the use of two R-09s for me. 

I would not call it the best 4ch deck by any stretch of the imagination.  However it is the smallest recorder capable of 4 channels, the only one I can comfortably fit into a pant pocket, and the IR remote allows for transport control with the recorder stashed away and on hold, two features which make make it uniquely suited to what I use it for.  It's gain control is very limited, but the external preamps take care of that, it's metering is good featuring a numerical readout as well as a bar-graph, and it's ADC is improved significantly over the R-09's to the point where I'm completely satisfied with the quality of it for whatever music I'm recording.

Since I'm always recording 4 or more channels, the move from using two separate 2-channel recorders to using a single four (or more) channel recorder was perhaps the single most important change in ease of recording of any I've made.   Less important overall but an important subsequent step of that evolution was getting Chris Church to build me a 4ch CA-UGLY so that I could move from using two separate preamps to a single pre, greatly simplifying all associated wiring and pocket bulk.   That rig is now simplified and compact enough that a few times I have carried two Dr2ds in the same pant pocket to enable recording of more than 4 channels, along with a second preamp.  A single IR remote will control both recorders simultaneously.

In that way although DR2d is certainly not the best 4ch recorder in a general sense, it is the only solution I've found which works for this application, and thus ranks defacto best by default.

For open recording I switch to using an OCM R-44 or DR-680, both of which provide balanced inputs and phantom power.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2016, 07:08:01 PM »

I don't care if it's long in the tooth or only has two pres: it's the best festival deck for 4 ch.  I'm using it all summer at a weekly music series--2 channels of board and 2 channels of Schoeps.  If I need it, I have the 442.

Offline tim_k

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2016, 09:15:48 PM »
Zaxcom Maxx seems forgotten in the taper world, but certainly worth consideration as an excellent sounding 4-pre recorder.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2016, 10:33:24 PM »
I'm sure I''l get slammed for this but I say the Tascam Dr70d.

It's $200. Use a card on the approved list and it's rock solid.

Save your money for transducers.
Upgrade that firmware to 1.14, and this is the rock-solid advice that most people should listen to. (Cost-no-object crowd, yes, I love your SD and 'Sax machines!)

hey, BEST best? Spend LOTS of money and get fractionally better results. My ears say "go get sushi and run the Tascam, now that it's reliable enough (1.13 or 1.14 firmware seems stable, and BOY do I like sushi.)"

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 04:57:11 AM »
^ Good to hear that you aren't having any more problems!  Your trust factor is high now, with the new firmware?

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 12:11:07 PM »
^ Good to hear that you aren't having any more problems!  Your trust factor is high now, with the new firmware?

My thoughts as well.  IIRC, Morst was one of the more vocal criticizers of the DR-70D.  Is there a silver lining on that cloud?  :)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2016, 01:40:24 PM »
Trust? Not exactly, but the DR-70D has not failed on an approved card since 1.12 firmware...

I still run the Sony PCM-M10 separately for every set.

Until I run an infinite number of successful recordings on the Trashcan, I won't be able to trust it. That means never.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2016, 12:16:08 PM »
No-one seems to have mentioned the Zoom F8. This records four inputs with duplicates of each as a safety, for a total of eight tracks at 192 kHz. Each has independent limiter (digital only, but configurable), HPF, levels, etc. Dual redundant SD cards too.
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2016, 12:52:24 PM »
No-one seems to have mentioned the Zoom F8. This records four inputs with duplicates of each as a safety, for a total of eight tracks at 192 kHz. Each has independent limiter (digital only, but configurable), HPF, levels, etc. Dual redundant SD cards too.

Yes, the F8 should be part of the conversation, especially if we're talking about SD decks that are much higher priced.  Same goes for the DR-680, a 6-track machine.  I always run safety tracks on my 70D when recording 2 channels, and is the main reason I want an 8-channel recorder down the road.

Pretty sure the F8 can't do 192kHz on all 8 channels, but I think it can do 96kHz x 8.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline sveinpetter

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2016, 03:05:06 PM »
From Zoom F8 user manual: • Recording of up to 10 tracks simultaneously
Inputs 1–8 and a stereo mix (left and right) can be recorded at the
same time (8 tracks when the sampling rate is 192 kHz).

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2016, 07:02:09 PM »
Yeah I was pretty amazed at that! I will have my F8 in a couple days and will be testing all the claims... but everyone seems very happy with it.
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2016, 07:18:44 PM »
From Zoom F8 user manual: • Recording of up to 10 tracks simultaneously
Inputs 1–8 and a stereo mix (left and right) can be recorded at the
same time (8 tracks when the sampling rate is 192 kHz).

OK then, I stand corrected.  That's pretty amazing for a $1000 recorder.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2016, 03:22:26 PM »
Well, I have done some real-world recording and can report that the Zoom F8 is indeed amazing. The pre-amps held up to various microphones, even working quite well with contact mics. I did some very quiet recordings and can hear nothing the F8 added to the signal chain. With my Tracer battery I got over 12 hours of use on one charge. Details can be found on my blog, Theatre of Noise.

And now we have the new cheaper F4, listing at $650. It would seem that the OPs question is answered!

Offline ramallo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2016, 09:17:23 AM »
Alta 4Minx, one of the best in sound quality, but expensive

Offline Mike Stranks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2016, 12:37:53 PM »
Took delivery of my Zoom F4 last week. Best preamps in any recorder I've ever owned and knock things like the H5 and H6 (which are not that shabby) into a cocked-hat.

For those like me who've come up thru the 'cheap 'n' cheerful' route there's lots to take on board, but more a question of 'how?' rather than 'why/what?'

For the size/quality/price there's little (nothing??) to beat it.... The Tascam DR680 is a worthy 'also-ran'...
The older I get the better I used to be

Offline graywolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »
My vote goes to my Zoom F4 as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.202 seconds with 71 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com