Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clippy EM272 used for music recording  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Musico

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Clippy EM272 used for music recording
« on: April 12, 2022, 03:41:45 PM »
I recently purchased an assembled stereo pair of these and started to test their ability to faithfully record acoustic music. I could not find anything on the internet concerning this use of the mic system possibly because its 122 db maximum input sound pressure seemingly would not be appropriate for such use. The first thing I noticed was these mics' S/N superiority in this class and that, for music recording, the low sensitivity/attenuation needs to be employed. The next thing I discovered is that these mics mate best with certain portable recorders related to the tonal balance of their internal preamps. In my case, I determined that the Edirol R09HR mated best with its rich bass and three dimensionality. The snag is that this recorder has substantially poorer S/N when in low sensitivity mode. However, I found that when I set my gain at 30 the poorer S/N was not noticeable thanks to the mics' very high sensitivity. The last thing I discovered was that when I applied EQ that reciprocated the published frequency response I noticed a far more natural and less congested sound. Here is an audio clip of my first music recording using all of the above. https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZAsn0VZb0Br00RItd4bpORGoHRQ7BNFqg07
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 10:58:34 AM by Musico »

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Clippy EM272 used for music recording
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 09:43:45 AM »
Primo EM 272 are nice and cheap electret capsules. I use them to record lectures. The quality is similar to the capsules that are in hand held recorders. I think Sony M10 has these apsules.  The advantage of EM272 is that you can space it how you like. In Sony M10, the capsules are fixed in very short distance, that is not good for stereo recordings.

The max sound pressure level 122 db is enough for a concert taping. Maybe there is needed 9V power (battery box) when recording loud sources. These are cheap capsules, do not expect miracles when recording music. You can find some recordings on LMA. Try to search EM172, these are predecessors of EM272. Because they are ordinary, I think pairing with a specific hand held recorder has no effect on the sound. I would only pay attention to the noise of the preamp. S/N ratio is the best when you setup a high gain in recorder, but be careful of clipping.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 05:01:38 PM by kuba e »

Offline Musico

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 11:03:55 AM »
Sorry, the link I originally provided was incomplete.  It is now corrected so that one may sample the audio clip.  Also, here is an additional clip of a piano and vocal number recorded at the same concert:  https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZSpeJVZ6RsNyXte8N0JrVwuLuzkKfnfrIyy
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 11:35:25 AM by Musico »

Offline JeySonic

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 04:15:40 PM »
Balancing the S/N and tonal qualities is definitely an art. Smart move using EQ to align with the mic's frequency response – bet it made a big difference in sound quality.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com