Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser AMBEO SMART HEADSET  (Read 10210 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sennheiser AMBEO SMART HEADSET
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2021, 08:54:45 AM »
I finally got these going after a bit of a hiccup due to an internet cable failure out in the street (so I couldn't download the latest firmware, then had horrendous difficulty finding a way of actually getting the recorded files onto my Windows PC (where I couldn't install iTunes due also to said lack of internet).  But I've not yet had a chance to get out and about with them.

I'm only just now testing the headphone aspect - general opinion seems to be that they are bass shy and very bright. Well, for me they have massive bass if I screw them into my ears as if attempting to cause brain damage.  [First track of Max Richter's "Sleep" has about as low a low frequency pulse happening as you could wish to hear].  But they also do cover high and very high frequencies well, which for my tired old 70+ ears is great. The eq in the app is quite flexible despite having only three adjustment points, as you can at least slide them left and right as well as up and down.

Noise reduction is also pretty dependent on achieving a good seal at the ear, as one might expect.

Are they demonstrably better for recording than the Roland binaural mics?  I'll have to test that carefully, somehow.  But if nothing else they are an interesting device, and at the current kind of price I'm happy to add them to my arsenal of binaurals (Hooke Verse, Rolands, and this).

Offline heva

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2021, 12:04:26 PM »
Bass shy and very bright was my opinion too, until I found out how to position the in-ears.
Then it’s a lot better, but they don’t stay put and I generally dislike in-ears, but got the set for recording which so far seems impressive.
Quite like my UsiMikroPro-DR100mkiii combo, but even more mobile :-)

Offline Ozpeter

• (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2021, 04:50:26 PM »
It seems to be basically a 24 bit digital mic (given that you can't change the level in the Apogee app, so I assume it is passing a digital stream to the phone) and is therefore perhaps the cheapest 24 bit stereo mic you can buy?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2021, 12:21:32 AM »
It seems to be basically a 24 bit digital mic (given that you can't change the level in the Apogee app, so I assume it is passing a digital stream to the phone) and is therefore perhaps the cheapest 24 bit stereo mic you can buy?
it is 24 bit, which speaks nothing to its quality.
currently "banned" for this "controversial" post
email me if you need to connect, as i am not allowed to send PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for sale (email in profile):
Mixpre6 v1 (NIB)
CA14 cards
(2) Manfrotto 099B mic poles

CMC-1K now orderable - 4-6 week leadtime

Offline heva

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2021, 06:58:54 AM »
The Apogee app offers two levels for recording, a bit coarse, but it works.

Offline Ozpeter

• (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2021, 07:09:26 PM »
it is 24 bit, which speaks nothing to its quality.

True, but like the new 32 bit recorders, it has no level control, which is convenient.  Well, there are (as pointed out above) two settings, but the setting for loud sources would probably only be required in the front row of a rock concert.  As for quality, I was first drawn to it after watching a YouTube video which didn't state its audio source, but right away it impressed me - on enquiry the poster said it was the Ambeo.  By brand alone, the Sennheiser / Apogee pairing should be good.  Should...

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2021, 11:03:13 PM »
Figured I'd share a sample from these things. First time using them at a Classical show.

I did eq this and add some compression, so doesn't sound like this out of the recorder.

https://soundcloud.com/fatah-ruark/piano-quintet-in-e-flat-major-allegro-brillante

I'm happy with it for minimal effort. I just hung the "mics" from my shirt. Didn't want to look like and idiot wearing them in my ears in a clearly lit room. :D
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 ~ DPA 4080 ~ Nevaton MCE400 ~ Countryman B3 ~ Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| CABLES: Kind Kables |||
||| PREAMPS: Naiant Tinybox | Naiant Littlebox | Naiant IPA | Church BB |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | Sony M10 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
||| PLAYBACK: Outlaw Audio RR2150 > Epos ELS8 |||
||| PHOTO: Sony a6000 | Sony 16-50 | Sony 55-210 | Rokinon 14mm | Rokinon 8mm |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Ozpeter

• (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2021, 07:19:28 PM »
Unfortunately, used like that the stereo image collapses and the point is lost...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2021 Taperssection.com