Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HomePlug AC outlet to Ethernet outlet converter  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
HomePlug AC outlet to Ethernet outlet converter
« on: January 29, 2018, 11:39:40 AM »
Anyone using one of these? The wife wants her Downstairs old corner PC workstation area cleaned out and return the room into it's original intended purpose...we are empty nester's...I'm thinking of turning my son's upstairs bedroom into a Bedroom/Music/Computer room (keep a Daybed-Trundel bed for holiday guests), but, house being built in the early 90's was not wired for such. I'll have my Digital Audio Workstation PC and 10TB NAS to hang out in the upstairs room...organize all the Taper equipment...my vast collection of Cassette Tapes of live music...host uTorrent uploads....etc. etc.

Will this thing work?

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline LiveOnTape

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: HomePlug AC outlet to Ethernet outlet converter
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »
We have one installed with our solar panel inverter.  It allows the Smart Meter to relay it's data back to the mother ship for logging and troubleshooting.  For that purpose, with minimal data and no user needs, it works.  But when I looked into them for just home usage I ruled them out in favor for a bigger WiFi router that I could wire as close as reasonable.  They have a lot of noise on the line, and therefore get poor data speeds.  All the reviews I found said similar.  If you're doing offline work with just web browsing it might suit your needs, but for any upload/download projects or real-time needs I would just bite the bullet and run a CAT6 line.  If you can run in into the basement or attic, then over to the correct side of the house, you might have luck finding a chase to run it directly to the bedroom. 

Good luck,
LoT
Recs: Sony PCM-M10 | Mixpre6 | A&H Qu-24 Qu-Drive
Mics: AKGs w CK91,92,94,97,98  | Oktava MK-012 mod | Audix M1290/1255 | Countryman B3s

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 01:21:36 PM »
I suspected as much...having never seen one in the wild...Thanks

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 01:44:14 PM »
I've used these for the last 10 years in my home. I have the Trendnet versions, and they work very well. The order of preference for a connection is to be directly wired via Cat6, then WiFi, then these adapters. The adapters work fine for most purposes. My speeds are pretty close to Wifi speeds. Previously in our other house, our router was centrally located in the house. I also have a Hackintosh that I can't get the Wifi to work, and there was no convenient way to run cable into my office. So these adapters came in pretty handy. My speeds were acceptable -- my uses for the network were just light internet usage, maybe some torrenting and uploading of YouTube videos. Nothing time critical, so the lower bandwidth was manageable. The wiring of our house was modern.

Currently in our new house, I am using these adapters to network my AppleTV with my Hackintosh, and then to a WiFi Range Extender in another part of the house. None of these require high bandwidth, and are fine for surfing, browsing on mobile devices and light gaming for my kids. Sometimes, maybe once every two months or less, the connection goes down, and I will have to unplug and replug the adapters.

I'm a big fan because they are inexpensive means to expand your network. However, if you need high bandwidth, I would probably invest in installing Ethernet cabling or get good wifi capability.

Anyone using one of these? The wife wants her Downstairs old corner PC workstation area cleaned out and return the room into it's original intended purpose...we are empty nester's...I'm thinking of turning my son's upstairs bedroom into a Bedroom/Music/Computer room (keep a Daybed-Trundel bed for holiday guests), but, house being built in the early 90's was not wired for such. I'll have my Digital Audio Workstation PC and 10TB NAS to hang out in the upstairs room...organize all the Taper equipment...my vast collection of Cassette Tapes of live music...host uTorrent uploads....etc. etc.

Will this thing work?

Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 03:05:27 PM »
I've been doing some research on wireless access points and bridges...I think I'm gonna go with a Netgear WNHDE111 Wireless Bridge...Hit the WPS buttons on both Home Router Cable Modem & New Bridge...plug in my PC and NAS on the two Ethernet ports on the Bridge...$29.00 shipped on eBay

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 04:04:05 PM »
I have used these "powerline adapters" for years.  I have one now although not this brand.  It started when the office that I had in a large home was FAAAAR away from my modem & router in the basement....so low signal wifi.  I was actually able to pull a decent enough ping to do online gaming.  (L4D2 FTW)

I also used one to connect my top floor TV to the home network to stream movies off the NAS in my office and to get a better connection than WIFI to stream HD MLB.TV. 

Typically expect speeds that are somewhere between wifi and hard line ethernet.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 06:21:23 PM »
I've got 4 powerline ethernet adapters going in my home network setup. 

The speeds you get will vary directly with the quality of wire, and age of your breaker panel, in your house.
Cheaper adapters that aren't grounded yielded slower speeds, but after finding some slightly more expensive, grounded versions, I get great speeds.  Our wire is mostly from the 50's, so if your house was built in the 90's I'd guess that they would work very well for you.

The only adapter that suffers is the one I have out in the garage.  It still works for youtube and audio streaming, but the connection is a bit slower than the rest.

Overall, I would recommend them as a good alternative to running new wire or relying on wifi and repeaters.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com