Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iZotope Rx 7  (Read 54211 times)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: iZotope Rx 7
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2020, 08:05:10 PM »
So, I'm getting the "Loyalty" come on by iZotope to buy Neutron 3 for really cheap. Anyone using it effectively for our stuff?

I have never used Neutron.  Personally, I don't see any of the modules as all that useful for post work on live concert recordings, unless you are looking to change the sound of your capture rather significantly. 

On a related note, I find Ozone highly useful.  EQ, Compressor, and Maximizer are all top-notch.  Too bad they removed the excellent reverb module a couple versions back.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2020, 09:55:07 PM »
For my process, if there's also clapping around the whoo or whistle I'll use the De-Click plugin first. This allows you to see the pattern of the whistle or whoo more clearly (you're gonna want to get rid of the claps eventually anyway). I've found that setting DeClick for "Multiband (Random Clicks)" works best. A general setting for me is sensitivity 3.7 and width at 2.3.

The way I determined this was to highlight the clapping and check output clicks only. I previewed the selection and adjusted until the claps/clicks were either attenuated sufficiently or eliminated and didn't affect drums or the overall sound.

Just wanted to say thank you for this.  I was able to apply to play around with this suggested setting this morning a little on a recording I made over the weekend.  I know somebody after you had suggested using "Vinyl De-click" at default but after trying that and your suggestion of "Multiband (Random Clicks)" with your "general setting", I was able to get an almost perfect removal with very little of the drums being affected.  It was great for those who couldn't clap to time or wanted to clap randomly.  This feature, alone, is a huge god-send for what we do.  I'm only using Elements so I don't get to use Spectral Repair or De-Reverb.  On that note, I'm curious to see how De-Reverb works on the same recording so I may have to see if I can find a demo version.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2020, 06:02:58 AM »
For my process, if there's also clapping around the whoo or whistle I'll use the De-Click plugin first. This allows you to see the pattern of the whistle or whoo more clearly (you're gonna want to get rid of the claps eventually anyway). I've found that setting DeClick for "Multiband (Random Clicks)" works best. A general setting for me is sensitivity 3.7 and width at 2.3.

The way I determined this was to highlight the clapping and check output clicks only. I previewed the selection and adjusted until the claps/clicks were either attenuated sufficiently or eliminated and didn't affect drums or the overall sound.

Just wanted to say thank you for this.  I was able to apply to play around with this suggested setting this morning a little on a recording I made over the weekend.  I know somebody after you had suggested using "Vinyl De-click" at default but after trying that and your suggestion of "Multiband (Random Clicks)" with your "general setting", I was able to get an almost perfect removal with very little of the drums being affected.  It was great for those who couldn't clap to time or wanted to clap randomly.  This feature, alone, is a huge god-send for what we do.  I'm only using Elements so I don't get to use Spectral Repair or De-Reverb.  On that note, I'm curious to see how De-Reverb works on the same recording so I may have to see if I can find a demo version.

I generally start de-clapping with the "Vinyl Record" preset, but I'll have to try these settings next time I need to attenuate claps.

BTW, Spectral Denoise is the one module of the Standard edition I cannot live without.  Most of my recordings are choirs, and my mics always seem perfectly positioned to capture the HVAC system. :-\   
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2020, 11:57:50 AM »
Catching up on this thread, I came across this-

De-Bleed, nope.

Point something like a wide cardioid straight down at the talkers around your stand.   Use it as the bleed source to subtract from your main mics......

You can't go very far with it, and it's a slow offline process, but it can make a difference.   Test for sound quality on a very small section before committing to any larger selection.

I expect for this to work well one will want to mic it so as to isolate the undesirable bleed (the nearby talkers) as much as possible in that channel while excluding the desirable sound as much as possible.  With that in mind, rather than a subcardioid I'd try something like a supercardioid pointing 45 degrees down and to the rear, such that the least sensitive sector of its pickup-pattern faces the stage and PA. 

One might imagine a vertically oriented fig-8 would be best to isolate local chatter beneath the mics while being least-sensitive to the desired sound arriving along the horizontal plane, and perhaps it will be for this specific application.  However, I've found the null plane of a fig-8 is generally too narrow to effectively isolate pickup of distant sources that have significant level in comparison to a cardioid or supercard facing away from the source.  The fig-8 null is deeper, especially in comparison to the rear-lobe of a super pointed directly away, but the more important attribute is how much reduction in sensitivity is achieved across a relatively wide angle.  It's the reduction in average sensitivity over a region that is more important in real world taper situations. 

It is for that reason I use rear-facing supercardioids rather than cardioids (or sideways oriented 8's) for the ambient channels in my OMT rig.  Even though it might seem pointing a cardioid null at the PA should maximully minimize the pickup of it, I've found that pointing the rear lobe of a supercardioid at the PA reduces pickup even more, due to the supercardioid's reduced average sensitivity across the entire rear-hemisphere in comparison to a cardioid.

Apologies for going OT on this, but it represents a very interesting, potentially powerful technique with applications beyond reduction of nearby talkers.  One of the driving forces behind the design my OMT rigs is arranging things so as to limit direct-sound bleed into the ambient channels and ambient/reverberant bleed into the direct-sound channels, while working with the relatively limited pattern directivity of first-order microphones and the need for sufficient correlation between adjacent imaging microphone pairs.  This technique could potentially be applied to actively manage this differentiation in useful ways, without needing additional microphone channels other than those already in the array.

Conceptually, it is akin to the DSP processing applied to the rear-facing supercardiod integrated into the Schoeps Super CMIT shotgun which further increases forward directivity over that of a typical interference tube shotgun design.  I'm talking about the potential of extending this from the domain of a single microphone to the entire multichannel array.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:11:26 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2020, 01:27:32 AM »
[snip]
I'd try something like a supercardioid pointing 45 degrees down and to the rear, such that the least sensitive sector of its pickup-pattern faces the stage and PA. 
So the rear lobe of the supercard would be facing the stage and at a 45 degree up angle. Would that not catch a lot of the desirable sound coming from the stage? Would a shotgun pattern pick up less of that sound energy?
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2020, 03:51:40 AM »
$100 off at sweetwater right now
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2020, 10:09:03 AM »
[snip]
I'd try something like a supercardioid pointing 45 degrees down and to the rear, such that the least sensitive sector of its pickup-pattern faces the stage and PA. 
So the rear lobe of the supercard would be facing the stage and at a 45 degree up angle. Would that not catch a lot of the desirable sound coming from the stage? Would a shotgun pattern pick up less of that sound energy?

The collective direct sound and strong early reflections from stage and PA emanate from an area which covers a significant portion of the front hemisphere forward of the recording rig, let's assume around +/- 45 degrees horizontally and somewhat less vertically for sake of argument, more or less a 90 degree wide window.  What's most important is how much sensitivity is reduced on across that entire window.  As I mentioned above-

Even though it might seem pointing a cardioid null at the PA should maximully minimize the pickup of it, I've found that pointing the rear lobe of a supercardioid at the PA reduces pickup even more, due to the supercardioid's reduced average sensitivity across the entire rear-hemisphere in comparison to a cardioid.

So while a supercardioid has more sensitivity to sound positioned directly behind than a cardioid, the cardioid actually picks up more sound across that rear window (great movie BTW).  It still a good idea to orient the supercard such that the least sensitive sector of its pickup pattern, somewhere between 130-160 degrees off axis, faces toward the loudest sources and fortunately angling the mic down and to the rear serves to do that while simultaneously placing it on-axis with the mouths of folks immediately behind, which are the sound sources we want to focus on with this hypothetical arrangement.

I often angle my rear-facing ambient pickup pair of supercardioids so that each faces directly away from the PA speaker on the opposite side.  Sort of reverse PAS which typically results in an angle between them of around 40 degrees or so, which is desirable given their spacing and relation to the other mics in the array.  This does not increase pickup of the PA significantly compared to orienting those mics parallel to each other so that they face directly away from the stage, which comes closer to placing the PAs on the nominal "null" axis of both supercards.   

My take away is that it is generally more useful to think about pickup pattern sensitivity averaged over an area rather than in terms of specific null and lobe angles.

Hope that helps. 

Please pardon my interruption.  I'll now point this OT mic away from this thread so you all can return to discussion of the real world application of these powerful software tools as they currently exist.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2020, 10:12:49 AM »
De-click "Multi-band (random clicks)" with Sensitivity at 5 and Click widening at 4ms did a perfect job taming some outdoor New Years Eve fireworks.  Wow, just right, they settle right in to the mix now, instead of sounding like gunshots.

I am using the Spectral De-noise to try to eliminate some terrible white noise in a SBD pull for a different show.  It sounds like the ocean in the background.  It's cool how you can even lasso the right bit of high-energy noise you need to make your sample, and subtract it from the whole recording.

Well worth the $ I paid for it.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2020, 12:28:51 PM »
De-click "Multi-band (random clicks)" with Sensitivity at 5 and Click widening at 4ms did a perfect job taming some outdoor New Years Eve fireworks.  Wow, just right, they settle right in to the mix now, instead of sounding like gunshots.

I am using the Spectral De-noise to try to eliminate some terrible white noise in a SBD pull for a different show.  It sounds like the ocean in the background.  It's cool how you can even lasso the right bit of high-energy noise you need to make your sample, and subtract it from the whole recording.

Well worth the $ I paid for it.

I think there is an Izotope tutorial on youtube somewhere when the guy is doing a seaside interview and edits out the ocean and some seagulls.  I bet that would help your use case Kev
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
« Reply #99 on: February 29, 2020, 05:21:54 PM »
I recorded a couple of concerts at the same venue recently and find the vocals a bit echo-ey (instruments sound good to me).

Should I invest in the standard version of Izotope ($299) and "fix" it with the deverb-functionality or would that be a wasted uphill struggle on a live recording (versus a studio recording)?
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #100 on: February 29, 2020, 06:19:32 PM »
Standard  iZotope Rx 7 gives you "Music Rebalance", also.  Might do the trick for you.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2020, 06:43:33 AM »
I recorded a couple of concerts at the same venue recently and find the vocals a bit echo-ey (instruments sound good to me).

Should I invest in the standard version of Izotope ($299) and "fix" it with the deverb-functionality or would that be a wasted uphill struggle on a live recording (versus a studio recording)?

Deverb is heavy handed and obvious, I wouldn’t expect satisfaction from it.
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2020, 10:26:53 AM »
Thanks for the input, it looks intriguing.
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2020, 05:39:00 PM »
Any tips for removing PA hum/noise in RX7? I’ve tried de-hum but it just killed the dynamics. Taped Tim O’Brien at a church and clearly, a church quality PA was the culprit.

Thanks!

Thanks all. De-crackle is amazing! A crackly fuzzy PA 90% better. Big thanks to DPK for showing me the way!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:40:26 AM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2020, 05:47:44 PM »
Any tips for removing PA hum/noise in RX7? I’ve tried de-hum but it just killed the dynamics. Taped Tim O’Brien at a church and clearly, a church quality PA was the culprit.

Thanks!

I ended up using spectral de-noise rather than de-hum in a similar situation. Key is to find a couple seconds when there isn't music, just the hum, and train the module on that.

Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com