Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic stand noise  (Read 5520 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mic stand noise
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2023, 07:42:28 PM »
How stiff are the lyres on your INV's?  I found mine cause noise if I look at them wrong.

You may be another person suffering from Rycote making a recommendation for lyres too stiff for your mics. Once you have the right ones, there's nothing I have found that works better. But you often need to go a level softer than they recommend.

For example, they say the INV-7 HG MKIII is suitable for the DPA 4011. Not a chance! Rumble city.

I'm using 62 (black/black), would never go stiffer, and there is nothing softer from what I can tell.  But yes, I need to be very careful when using it.

With your Schoeps actives? I would think the 62 Lyres should be plenty compliant. I use them with my CM3s which are lighter than your actives, and are very vibration-sensitive.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2023, 11:52:57 AM »
With your Schoeps actives? I would think the 62 Lyres should be plenty compliant. I use them with my CM3s which are lighter than your actives, and are very vibration-sensitive.

Yes, running my CCM 4 lg pair in an ORTF bar or running MK5/MK/8 actives but particularly the latter.  I used to have a bulky ORTF-M/S combo mount that Scott made for me and that was even worse.  I got to the point where I mount the M/S on a Rowi clamped at the top of my 3373 to help alleviate stress on the Rycote INV.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2023, 12:27:28 PM »
I need to be very careful when using it.

As general rule-of-thumb, I've found that for shock mounts to effectively attenuate solid-born noise transmitted through the stand, the suspension needs to be loose enough that whatever is suspended gets pretty wiggly.  More than I'd like.  So much so that it gets a bit disconcerting.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2023, 12:43:40 PM »

Yes, running my CCM 4 lg pair in an ORTF bar or running MK5/MK/8 actives but particularly the latter.  I used to have a bulky ORTF-M/S combo mount that Scott made for me and that was even worse.  I got to the point where I mount the M/S on a Rowi clamped at the top of my 3373 to help alleviate stress on the Rycote INV.

Really scratching my head here, because I use one pair of 72 Lyres for a pair of CM3 on a SRS bar, and they are lighter than your actives. The 62 Lyres would be way too floppy for this - I use them when mounting the CM3 individually.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline grv68

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2023, 07:53:32 PM »
Just to circle back on this, I finally had a chance to try things out last night and I was (of course) obsessing over nothing.  Things went well.  Even had someone near the tapers' section jumping up and down.  No worries.  Thanks for the input and discussion!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2023, 09:29:50 AM »
Yeah.  Even though the comment I posted above (quoted below) is true.  In actual use, I find most times I hear little to no solid-born noise in my recordings when using minimally effective shock-mounting or even no shock mounting at all.  I go through cycles of doing things to improve decoupling, mostly as a best practices kind of thing, but I don't let it interfere with the practicality of the system and have learned not to worry about it much.

The situations where I've found it most necessary is clamping to a railing, barrier, or other structure that folks are leaning on / drumming on / kicking / pushing around a bit. Really needing them on a free standing stand is actually not very common in my own experience.

As general rule-of-thumb, I've found that for shock mounts to effectively attenuate solid-born noise transmitted through the stand, the suspension needs to be loose enough that whatever is suspended gets pretty wiggly.  More than I'd like.  So much so that it gets a bit disconcerting.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com