Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

What is your archival format preference (Wav | Flac | Shn | Zip | Ape)?

APE
1 (3.3%)
FLAC
24 (80%)
SHN
0 (0%)
ZIP
0 (0%)
WAV
5 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: October 12, 2019, 01:25:35 AM

Author Topic: What is your archival format preference? (Wav | Flac | Shn | Zip | Ape)  (Read 9827 times)

Offline freeform54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: What is your archival format preference? (Wav | Flac | Shn | Zip | Ape)
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 11:01:02 PM »
I like FLAC Lossless Uncompressed - it's a setting on dBpoweramp a notch above FLAC level 8.  How is that different from WAV?

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 03:06:42 AM »
FLAC all the way.  FLAC compression level doesn't matter as far as data integrity is concerned.  Higher compression levels use more CPU to encode/decode but also gives the smallest file sizes.  Low compression levels are the fastest to encode/decode.  On most computers, the CPU usage is negligible, so I opt for the smallest file size to (marginally) reduce bandwidth for backups and reduce SSD/HDD wear.

You can losslessly go from FLAC to WAV to FLAC again at any compression level, any number of times; as long as your memory/CPU/motherboard isn't corrupting data.  I always use workstations with ECC memory to
avoid data corruption.

WAV doesn't have built-in checksums, so you'll need to manage them yourself and/or rely on CRC from ZIP or some other method to notice bitrot as HDD/SSDs age and fail.  Having a filesystem which checksums data (e.g. ZFS, BTRFS) also helps.

If you get a corrupt FLAC file and no good backups; the "flac" command-line tool has a "--decode-through-errors" switch.  Having good backups is better, obviously.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2022, 05:07:01 AM »
I like FLAC Lossless Uncompressed - it's a setting on dBpoweramp a notch above FLAC level 8.  How is that different from WAV?

Welcome to taperssection, freeform54.  Lots of good stuff here.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2022, 12:03:35 PM »
I keep the original WAV-file and then make songsplit and put it out in FLAC Level 8.
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 03:05:54 PM »
I keep the original WAV-file and then make songsplit and put it out in FLAC Level 8.

I do this but instead flac level 5. I don't know why.
I can't seem to bring myself to delete that long tracked wav or tiff file, even if its 2496. Its just too pretty, even if it is in the way.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 03:28:27 PM »

I do this but instead flac level 5. I don't know why.
I can't seem to bring myself to delete that long tracked wav or tiff file, even if its 2496. Its just too pretty, even if it is in the way.
I think 5 was the default.
FLAC encoding level 8 takes more processing power to make a slightly smaller file than lower numbers.
Back when computers were not as fast it was probably handy to use lower (faster) levels, but I suggest to stick with level 8 now.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2022, 11:36:20 PM »
Wax cylinders.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com