Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New to laptop recording questions???  (Read 6491 times)

Offline pheelinphine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
New to laptop recording questions???
« on: October 07, 2002, 11:37:16 PM »
1.  what requirements do you look for in a laptop, harddrive, speed, etc.  why is viao better than picturebook

2.  Can you run the mics directly into the laptop or do you need the equivalent of the V3 or mini me in front of it

thanx ;D

jpschust

Re:New to laptop recording questions???
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2002, 12:13:55 AM »
1.  Any current laptop will be good for recording by today's standard.  P3 or above 20 gigs or above 256 mb Ram or above and you should be golden.

2. Picturebook is just another model of the sony vaio's.  I like mine because its small.

3. You need to put something in front of your laptop, regardless of what you use.  I run a nuendo multiset and originally I was going to have a minime out in front, but Ive since decided to just put a Sonosax out in front as the multiset can do the a/d conversion.

Any more q's feel free to drop me a line.

Jonny

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • recordings
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2002, 12:39:48 AM »
Also, another laptop that is on sale(that I use) is the VAIO  PCG-SRX87. Much like the picturebook, on sligthly larger. Comp USA has them on sale for a very nice price. 20 gig HD, 256MB Ram(expandable to 384) Also comes with Sound Forge loaded on the comp.

If you are into Macs, iBook G3/700 MHz is a nice product

I'm using the USB pre infront of mine, nice sounds so far. Now I'm just saving for 480's

Battery life can be a problem. So, always keep that in mind !
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2002, 01:23:50 AM »
Another reason I like my pixbook is for battery life; nearly 8 hours recording time with a fully charged quad battery :).

-D

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2002, 01:30:50 AM »
is the quad the battery that came with it ?

I'm trying to save up for the Electro Fuel Powerpad 160, but damn, 400+ $'s is ALOT to spend

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2002, 10:16:37 AM »
No, using the single capacity battery it came with I'm lucky to get two hours.  I guess you could do an opening set with it...the quad put me back an extra 2 bills.  

As far as the power pad, if I could afford one I'd be all over it.  Definitely worth the money IMO.  I think one of those bad boys would power my machine for 10+ in the field...  One thing to watch if you do get one though is the amount of heat they generate.  I'd recommend trying to keep it out in the open with air continuously circulating.  That's the only bad thing I've ever heard about a power pad.

-D

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2002, 10:41:40 AM »
Thats what I've heard too(about heat issues). I have the laptop bag/case from Sonicsense,  and since I only use a USB pre infront of the laptop, I have the bottom shelf free of space

I might have to go for a SONY battery though. I'm taping moe nov. 8, so I need to somehow get enough battery power to last me the entire show

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com