Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice? Recording sounds great on headphones, crap on stereo  (Read 4476 times)

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Advice? Recording sounds great on headphones, crap on stereo
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 05:59:17 AM »
Yes, you are right. I wrote it wrong. The vocals are not distant but with an echo. All is good when it is sound guy intention. If you prefer more dry sound, you can try cardiods or hypercardiods pattern.  (And if you are too close to the ceiling, you can try to move to a greater distance from ceiling to avoid unwanted reflections)

You can balance stereo image in Audacity. Try to add volume of  1-3 db to one channel. Or try to delay one channel by 0.1 - 1 millisecond. And listen how the image is shifting. The best is to listen via headphones. Gutbucket explained it in details here-
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178161.msg2192735#msg2192735

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
Re: Advice? Recording sounds great on headphones, crap on stereo
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 11:58:15 AM »
You can balance stereo image in Audacity. Try to add volume of  1-3 db to one channel. Or try to delay one channel by 0.1 - 1 millisecond. And listen how the image is shifting. The best is to listen via headphones. Gutbucket explained it in details here-
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178161.msg2192735#msg2192735

Topic drift, but I just tried the one-channel-delay trick for the first time (on a recording with similar levels for each channel but a really-annoying perceived skew of volume to one channel), and it is an absolute miracle. I may need to go revisit a bunch of past recordings now...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com