Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soundcards 2020 - Windows 10  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Soundcards 2020 - Windows 10
« on: July 18, 2020, 07:33:57 AM »
My oldschool cards have been moved to my repurposed to Linux box  (now featuring improved liquid-cooling with large quiet fan)

I'm building out a new machine, and may go mini-tower, allowing a "good" soundcard for analog transfers

What does one use in 2020 ?

Looking for something around these $200 contenders:

ASUS Essence STX II

HT OMEGA CLARO II

Creative S.B.  ZxR

Would USB be more versatile and sound as good ?
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Soundcards 2020 - Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 08:06:31 AM »
have internal cards come of age? those are cadillac for sure but im wondering if they can hold their noise specs with analog signals inside of a RFI-noisy desktop environment vs say a modern external offering from motu, focusrite, etc?

also those are geared to multichannel vs a lot of the external breakout boxes which are 2X2 or 4X4. Do you need multichannel?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 10:01:23 AM »
Personally I'd look at whatever Terry Watts or Charlie Miller are doing and try to copy that, on the assumption that they've already done the homework.  Why reinvent the wheel?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline buckster

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »
I've just been through this process.  I did a new PC build, moving from Win 7 to Win 10, a few months ago and my old Asus sound card did not fit the (newer) pci slots in the mobo.  Fine, it was a chance to step up to a better quality sound card, but as I researched and as JF noted, I began to realize internal cards weren't the way to go.  To answer your question, YES, USB is just as good.  I ended up with the Schitt Audio Modi external DAC and it sounds great.   :headphones:

https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6bOVsZrX6gIVVQiICR1DoQ0kEAAYASABEgKVjPD_BwE       

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 03:25:14 PM »
Go with an external interface for maximum flexibility, portability, and also the reasons jerryfreak mentions.

I recently picked up a MOTU M2 and enthusiastically recommend it.  Under $200, and I doubt anything else out there in this price range comes close.  Get the M4 if you need more inputs.

The best part from a playback standpoint is that the headphone amp is plenty powerful enough to drive low-impedance headphones, so much so that I was able to sell my dedicated headphone amp for my HD 600s.

https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m2/

Very thorough and technical review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ednXYd1pA
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 03:27:36 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 05:04:22 PM »
I did not know the Motu ventured beyond the Macspace.
I also have a usb-c MS Surface, this could be another recording option.

Thanks!
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 06:56:09 PM »
Personally I'd look at whatever Terry Watts or Charlie Miller are doing and try to copy that, on the assumption that they've already done the homework.  Why reinvent the wheel?
Charlie uses a Tascam DA-3000.
https://tascam.com/us/product/da-3000/top
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline voltronic

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 09:52:16 PM »
I did not know the Motu ventured beyond the Macspace.

That's ancient history with them.  They've been pumping out pro-quality interfaces for years.  It's only very recently that they started making high-quality units that are also low priced.

I almost bought one of the Schiit units mentioned earlier, but I'm glad I went with the MOTU as it does every audio thing I need.  Also, loopback recording!
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 04:35:00 AM »
some good reviews of a lot of this gear

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/audio-interfaces-adc.52/

remember that all the ADC chips used in these are cheap and common and not far off in specs, its implementation that makes the difference in most cases
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline voltronic

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 06:51:51 AM »
some good reviews of a lot of this gear

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/audio-interfaces-adc.52/

remember that all the ADC chips used in these are cheap and common and not far off in specs, its implementation that makes the difference in most cases

For sure.  Another one of the big separators of these is the quality / power of the headphone amps, which is one of the biggest factors that drove me to the M2.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 05:46:58 PM »
Solid State Logic has entered the arena with the SSL 2 link for around $200 or their SSL 2+ link with more features for more.

SSL 2 reviewed by the same fellow in his video here

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline voltronic

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 07:03:43 AM »
Solid State Logic has entered the arena with the SSL 2 link for around $200 or their SSL 2+ link with more features for more.

SSL 2 reviewed by the same fellow in his video here

Interesting to see this from SSL.  Other than the very low EIN, it was disappointing to see that the performance Julian measured was inferior compared to some of the other units in this range.

I wonder how many people who use the "4K" console emulation switch will understand what they are doing to their signal and that it is irreversible.  I have always been against "baking in" EQ and heavy distortion into digital recordings.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline lerond

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 04:22:21 PM »
Lack of S/PDIF I/O on most of these is a deal killer for me: I have too many DATs that need to be transferred.

Realized about a month ago that my old sound card, an M-Audio FireWire, wasn't working perfectly for me... it's somehow developed a habit of randomly inserting 8-sample noise glitches
Could be the W7 machine instead.
Seems to be quite unpredictable and intermittent, but it's a problem no matter what!

Now doing digital transfers DAT to SD722, then pulling them off that machine via the FW connection.
Kind of a hassle, but it solves that part of my problem.

Lack of computer/network connectivity on the Tascam DA-3000 is another bummer.
I don't think it makes sense to make a digital transfer to flash media, then move the physical media to another machine for editing access to it.

I assume that anyone using the DA-3000 is only using it for transfers.
Anyone out there saving the flash cards as an additional backup source?
ain't no party like a katydid party
jumpin' and a hoppin' and singin' them songs!

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 02:34:04 PM »
I use an HT Omega eClaro for about 5 years now. 

Works perfectly with Windows 10.  It's PCI-e and sounds fantastic!    :headphones:

https://www.htomega.com/eclaro.html

Stay away:  Asus Essence STX I & II:  Asus' drivers suck.  Although there is a community-based 3rd party driver
 out there, the driver's bugginess always made me nuts.  I sold my Asus and went back to HT Omega.

My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 02:37:09 PM by spyder9 »

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 12:47:56 PM »
Lack of S/PDIF I/O on most of these is a deal killer for me: I have too many DATs that need to be transferred.

Realized about a month ago that my old sound card, an M-Audio FireWire, wasn't working perfectly for me... it's somehow developed a habit of randomly inserting 8-sample noise glitches
Could be the W7 machine instead.
Seems to be quite unpredictable and intermittent, but it's a problem no matter what!
Interesting. I have been having the same issue on my M-Audio 2496 card with Windows 10. Intermittent soft noise glitches when transferring DAT > SPDF in. I have moved to: DAT>SPDF>Tascam DR680>SD Card>Computer. Not ideal but it works. Would love to get back into a SPDF in card or box to go directly digital into the computer.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com