Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps cmc1L & cmc1K  (Read 2599 times)

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Schoeps cmc1L & cmc1K
« on: March 11, 2021, 10:26:13 AM »
Surprised there hasn't been a topic started.  Is there?   Anyway.  The L, sweet design. Death of the ccm?  The K, nice(for a knock off) but these 2 designs should be the slow death of PFA's for schoeps users. No?  Great way to ditch those PFAs, IMO  ed
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 11:37:54 AM by ero3030 »
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps cmc1L & cmc1K
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 12:14:43 PM »
Aren't PFAs available for non-Schoeps mics? [EDIT: The OP was edited on this point in between starting and finishing my post.]

Personally, I would go for the CMC 1 U because they provide more flexible cabling options. Maybe the extra 0.4" would make them a little more difficult to use in some situations, but, with low-profile XLRs, they probably aren't much longer than the L with that lemo connector. I have the DPA compact preamps (MMP-C), which are quite similar, and think they are pretty great. Various sets of cables for different recording situations. Never tried them in a hat, though.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 12:19:44 PM by aaronji »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 06:12:16 PM »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 06:25:42 PM »
Aren't PFAs available for non-Schoeps mics? [EDIT: The OP was edited on this point in between starting and finishing my post.]

Personally, I would go for the CMC 1 U because they provide more flexible cabling options. Maybe the extra 0.4" would make them a little more difficult to use in some situations, but, with low-profile XLRs, they probably aren't much longer than the L with that lemo connector. I have the DPA compact preamps (MMP-C), which are quite similar, and think they are pretty great. Various sets of cables for different recording situations. Never tried them in a hat, though.

the CMC1L is more similar to a 4023/MMP-ER than a MMP-C. while overall spec'd length with the cable may make it appear longer its a world of difference having a full body in a hat (esp with weight of heavy XLR connectors)
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 06:48:39 PM »
^ No need for full-size XLRs, of course. A DAO4010 adds virtually no length or weight and chopped XLRs are also short and comparatively light. Like I said, though, I never tried them in a hat and don't really intend to. Depends on how you want to use them, I suppose...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 06:56:32 PM »
^ No need for full-size XLRs, of course. A DAO4010 adds virtually no length or weight and chopped XLRs are also short and comparatively light. Like I said, though, I never tried them in a hat and don't really intend to. Depends on how you want to use them, I suppose...

all of those chopped XLRs are still pretty heavy. the DAO4010 is about as heavy as the MMP-ES 

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 07:17:58 PM »
Opinions are like, well, you know the phrase. I have clearly stated what my preferences are and why. You are free to make your own choice, although there is no question that the DAO4010 is slender and light. PERSONALLY, I would hate to be bound by special connectors or hard-wired connections...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 09:12:27 PM »
Opinions are like, well, you know the phrase. I have clearly stated what my preferences are and why. You are free to make your own choice, although there is no question that the DAO4010 is slender and light. PERSONALLY, I would hate to be bound by special connectors or hard-wired connections...

stating that one thing is lighter than another is objective, not subjective. seems like you have my number today based on your other posts, but whatever.  ::)

heres a quick pic. i dont have a CMC1 or KC5 so ill paste them in and crudely copy some caps on top. The KC pic there actually comes from the CMC1 page so presumably the new K-version will be identical in dimension.

They spec the weight of a CMC1 at 36g but not sure which flavor that is, presumably the CMC-1K would shave a few grams.

left-to right:
CMC1L, ~36g, ~54g with capsule
CMR 31g, 49g w/capsule
CCM-L (sans cable) 43g
n-bob active end 39g w/capsule
KC end (presumably the same for KC5 or CMC1K:  ~30-34g? 50-54g with capsule?
MMP-E itself is 17g, 37g with capsule.
4022, 37g
MMP-C itself is 41g, 59g with capsule

i dont have a DAO4010 handy to weigh but guessing it would get the MMP-C  assembly close to 65g. (and add the same 5-8g to a CMC1U)

imo, the size difference is at least as important as the weight on your head, but any of these are really 'doable' in a pinch. Those CMC1Ks sure are sexy, not sure they are $2K sexy tho... i guess the advantage is they have the full RFI shielding and balanced cabling unlike a KC>nbox/IPA setup. Whether this is useful in our application is uncertain.

DAO4010s are definitely nice gear, though. they are a considerably lighter and more compact than the potted chopped or the cable techniques compacts which still use the standard switchcraft/neutrik connectors. The downside being the $220 pricetag.

of course there are ups and downs to any setup. i have multiple dpa cable setups not only for the flexibility, but also because i have multiple sets of caps i run concurrently on occasion. with the high cost of the schoeps amplifiers (relative to the total cost of amp+cap), its a little more expensive to pull off.). The $220 DAO4010 cables dont seem so bad in that regard
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 09:35:02 PM by jerryfreak »

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 05:24:58 AM »
stating that one thing is lighter than another is objective, not subjective.

Nice straw man there. I never said anything was lighter than anything else, only that it was light. That's objective:

You are free to make your own choice, although there is no question that the DAO4010 is slender and light.

imo, the size difference is at least as important as the weight on your head, but any of these are really 'doable' in a pinch.

I also said, twice, that I don't use or intend to use them in a hat, so I can't speak to that at all...

Like I said, though, I never tried them in a hat and don't really intend to.

Never tried them in a hat, though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com