Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Screen capture of live streams  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Screen capture of live streams
« on: May 12, 2021, 11:47:17 PM »
My son had us buy a ticket for an upcoming live stream, but now he has a conflict with something IRL he'd rather do. Any recommendations on a software to capture the live stream so he can watch it later?

Preference is free/cheap. I've no interest/need to do this again in the future, but the kid asked if I could record. Computer is older Mac running El Capitan 10.11.6. TIA
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Screen capture of live streams
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 11:50:31 PM »
super simple and free. not a "lossless" rip but is as good as whatever window you are capturing

https://obsproject.com/download

let me know if you need any help, its pretty straightforward. just need to add a source and select 'window capture', select the right window, then check your audio device to make sure you are getting the output and not the mic in from the computer

heres one of many tutorials
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 11:52:25 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 08:59:58 AM »
^ Having used it a couple times, I can say that it is relatively straightforward to use, but make sure to do a test capture beforehand to confirm everything is set and will run correctly.  I found it easiest to use with a second monitor so I could keep the OBS application in sight and work the start/stop recording controls without interfering with the capture window.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 09:07:07 AM »
Quicktime + Soundflower is the easiest way to do screen capture on a Mac. Just use soundflower to route the audio back into your sound card and set it as the input for the quick time screen recording

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 10:48:57 AM »
^ Having used it a couple times, I can say that it is relatively straightforward to use, but make sure to do a test capture beforehand to confirm everything is set and will run correctly.  I found it easiest to use with a second monitor so I could keep the OBS application in sight and work the start/stop recording controls without interfering with the capture window.
i usually make it fullscreen and then alt-tab to OBS, has worked well for me
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 11:00:33 AM »
Quicktime + Soundflower is the easiest way to do screen capture on a Mac. Just use soundflower to route the audio back into your sound card and set it as the input for the quick time screen recording

Will that work with AudioHijack instead of Soundflower, do you know? I've been using Quicktime and AudioHijack and reassembling in post, which is kind of a pain.

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 12:37:14 PM »

Will that work with AudioHijack instead of Soundflower, do you know? I've been using Quicktime and AudioHijack and reassembling in post, which is kind of a pain.

I'm not familiar with audiohijack. I think it just needs to be a selectable i/o in system preferences for you to able to select it as the input for the quicktime recorder

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 10:28:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to do some experimenting this weekend. Here is what I had initially intended.

Run output from Thunderbolt port to HDMI input on TV to watch video.
Run composite audio outputs from TV to integrated amp for audio.
Run tape outs from integrated amp to M10 for audio capture.

Will any of the software options suggested above still work if the Thunderbolt port is active?
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 09:35:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to do some experimenting this weekend. Here is what I had initially intended.

Run output from Thunderbolt port to HDMI input on TV to watch video.
Run composite audio outputs from TV to integrated amp for audio.
Run tape outs from integrated amp to M10 for audio capture.

Will any of the software options suggested above still work if the Thunderbolt port is active?

In terms of video capture they’ll probably all still work. Most likely the audio portion will not

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com