Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 9.Solutions Savior Clamp With 5/8" Socket - A Review  (Read 3943 times)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
9.Solutions Savior Clamp With 5/8" Socket - A Review
« on: February 15, 2020, 02:57:48 PM »
Like many others here, I have used the dependable Manfrotto Super Clamp for years.  There are, however, some applications where it does not perform as well as I would like.  One is clamping onto a short, flat protrusion of only an inch or so.  The pivoting jaw of the clamp is only holding on with a few mm of surface area to start with.  If the top surface doesn't have much to hold either, you are living dangerously.  The other is clamping onto chair arms that have very smooth finishes.  The hard rubber clamping surface is not very compliant, and is prone to lateral slippage even when very tight.  Those two situations sent me on the search for a better alternative.

I believe I have found the perfect clamp for our applications:

9.Solutions Savior Clamp With 5/8" Socket (Manufacturer Page)

I purchased this item from B&H.
(Note that the Savior is available in multiple versions, including 5/8" stud, 5/8" socket, no 5/8" attachments, and mini version.  I purchased the Socket version for the greatest versatility with the hardware I already own.)

My thoughts after a few weeks of use:

The best feature of this clamp is the articulating jaws.  This is the main thing that drove my purchase decision.  I cannot overstate how beautifully designed this aspect is.  The jaws are attached with two pins each to the main frame.  The pins near the tip are the pivot point; the ones closer to the inside can move through slots in each jaw.  This, along with the alternating flat and curved gripping surfaces, allow the clamp to automatically adjust to any type of flat or round surface.  It is hard to envison until you see it, so I encourage you to watch the video on the manufacturer page. 

I tried the "narrow flat protrusion" situation described above.  The Savior passed that test with flying colors.  Even with just 1/4" to hold onto, it gripped tenaciously.  The lateral slipping issue was also completely solved, as a test on an old Formica-topped desk proved.

I tried the clamp in every orientation and on every kind of round and flat stock I had available.  I attached all of my 5/8" hardware, and put my extension pole at full mast with heavy items on the end.  My overall impression was that the Savior does everything my Super Clamp does, but one notch better.

Other Pros:

- The Savior is rated for nearly double the load capacity as the Manfrotto Super Clamp.  While I did not test this, I can say that it holds tighter than anything I have tried before.  Even with a pole a full extension, this thing absolutely inspires confidence.
- Each of the jaws has a 1/4"-20 and a 3/8"-16 female threaded socket, allowing multiple other items to be attached.  (Note that you can purchase a Savior clamp without a 5/8" socket if those threaded attachments are all you need.)
- The retention system for the 5/8" socket is very clever. The very large spring-loaded pin has the tightening lug drilled right through it.
- The overall fit and finish are very high.  The entire construction appears to be aluminum and steel, with the exception of the Polysorb thrust washer.
- It weighs about the same as the Super Clamp.

Cons:

- When the jaws are open and not clamped to anything, there is a small amount of lateral play where the connecting pins attach the jaws to the frame, and also at the main frame hinge.  In practice, it is not really an issue.  One you clamp it down, this disappears, but I would have liked some narrow bushings used in all the connections to reduce this.
- The tightening lever has significant drag even when not under load.  This means it takes longer to open and close the clamp; i.e. you cannot just spin one finger around the lever quickly like you can with other clamps.  Some might prefer this, but you do need just a bit more patience if setting up in a hurry.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the 9.Solutions Savior Clamp.  For anyone getting into clamp rigs, I enthusiastically recommend it.  It costs slightly more than Manfrotto Super Clamp, but in my opinion, it is well worth it.  I also encourage users looking into the Matthelini / Cardellini clamps to give this one a look, as it is less expensive than those options and may meet your needs.

One final note that 9.Solutions makes a variety of clamps, including the Barracuda which is closest in design to the traditional Super Clamp.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 08:40:30 AM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: 9.Solutions Savior Clamp With 5/8" Socket - A Review
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 01:33:34 AM »
Nice find. Thank you for the report.

This clamp is also nicely anthropomorphic (or dinosaur-o-morphic) when viewed from the side.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 02:37:02 AM »
seems that weight on the 5/8 socket version is right there with superclamp (~1lb)
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Online voltronic

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 01:01:54 PM »
Bumping this thread since live shows are happening again, and I want more people to know about this excellent piece of hardware.

I have had time to use this clamp extensively over the past year and a half, particularly as a boom arm connector with my 099b coming off my 1004BAC. I have found it to be superior to the Manfrotto SuperClamp in every aspect such that the Manfrotto clamps rarely get used anymore.

One thing I did not mention in the original review is that the jaws have a much softer rubber lining compared to the hard knurled surfaces found on the SuperClamp. The rubber is similar to what you see on "soft jaws" for bench vises. This means you can crank it down tight without fear of scratching the finish of whatever you are attaching it to. This better rubber texture, combined with the equal contact area on both sides contributes greatly toward resisting lateral slippage as I mentioned in the review. The acid test was the polished granite of my kitchen island - the Savior would not budge a mm.

Bottom line: If you need a clamp, spend the few bucks extra and buy this (or one of the other variants they sell). You will not be disappointed.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline vantheman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 02:31:23 PM »
Yep, gonna need one of these. Since you correctly called out my clamp rig for being set up to fail, I bought safety cables, but I was still left with my problem about clamping to my clamp. The 1/4" situation you described is what I need to solve as I'm aiming to tape this way more often.

On a related note, I ran open over the weekend and clamped to the balcony rail. Were it not for those safety cables they would not have let me clamp there, so thanks again for that timely advice.

Back this clamp - will it hold my Manfrotto flex arm? It looks like it would. I assumed that hex type of connector was a proprietary Manfrotto thing.
AT U853A (SP-CMC-4U) > SP-SPSB-10 12V > Sony A10
Line Audio CM4/OM1> Sound Devices MixPre6ii or Tascam DR100 mkiii

Online voltronic

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 07:10:32 PM »
Back this clamp - will it hold my Manfrotto flex arm? It looks like it would. I assumed that hex type of connector was a proprietary Manfrotto thing.

Absolutely. 5/8" pins / studs / sockets are an industry standard for rigging lights. Definitely not specific to Manfrotto. You're going to laugh when you see how massively overbuilt the spring loaded retention system is on the Savior socket compared to the SuperClamp.

To paraphrase Annie Get Your Gun: Anything you can grip, I can grip stronger!
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com