Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz EM8  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Rover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Marantz EM8
« on: July 04, 2007, 03:04:53 PM »
I'm listening a recording taped with a TCD-D8 + Marantz EM8 mic and I'm amazed by the sound! Looks like SB.
I googled a bit but it seems this stereo mic isn't expensive at all.
Anyone here who records with this mic and can give me some more information?
Thanks in advance!

Offline Barney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Marantz EM8
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 07:30:53 PM »
Hello there,

Sorry for being late at the party, but I just found the thread in Google while searching about the Marantz EM8.

I have used this mic for taping shows in late 90s and early 2000s, through a Sony TCD-D7. Bought the EM8 for 75€ or so at the time, and yes: this little mic can produce an amazing sound.
I have previously used a Sony ECM959, far more expensive (200€+ in 1996), and I've never found it very accurate. very roomy blurry sound with extra wide stereo losing focus of center information.

The Marantz EM-8 was supposed to be a desk microphone for business meeting. But it was terrific for live recordings. Very sensitive body, so you had to handle this very carefully while taping.
There was also some bad things with it... Often, left or right channel started to pop or kind of random rumble, rumble that started low and get louder and louder. No idea if it was an electronic issue or the microphone diaphragm or the cable. This was terrible.
As soon as one was 'broken' (and you're so pissed to see your recording is damaged by this problem), I bought a new one. From 1998 to 2003 I've bought 4 of them. I had the same issue with each. And it ruined 4-5 shows.

From mid 2000, I've started to record shows as multi-tracks with a pair of Rode NT5... or a Rode NT4. I have recorded few shows with the TCD-D7 + Rode NT4. And now, the Tascam DR60MKII has replaced the old TCD-D7.

Very recently I have listened to some DATs I recorded in 1998-2003. I was amazed by the sound of that Marantz EM8. Good old Days...
When I'll have some time, I will inspect the spectrum of those recordings to see what was going on.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com