Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Why are Digital Inputs a big deal  (Read 3242 times)

Offline HeliBass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Why are Digital Inputs a big deal
« on: October 21, 2004, 01:38:35 AM »
Any time some thing is recorded digitally from a microphone, the signal is converted from analog to digital. Is the reason for the digital inputs to bypass the ADC's of the host device?

If so, then if a recording device had decent ADC's, a good set of Mic's would be all that is needed to record.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: Why are Digital Inputs a big deal
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 01:49:54 AM »
Any time some thing is recorded digitally from a microphone, the signal is converted from analog to digital. Is the reason for the digital inputs to bypass the ADC's of the host device?

If so, then if a recording device had decent ADC's, a good set of Mic's would be all that is needed to record.

True, which is why a lot of people are looking into the FR2s and the 722/744.  The problem is getting a good A/D in a recorder is an expensive project (both of those recorders are in the thousands of dollars). 

Since I already have a (IMO) top notch A/D in my V3, I would rather have a digital input in a recorder over a high quality A/D.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 02:23:58 AM »

True, which is why a lot of people are looking into the FR2s and the 722/744.  The problem is getting a good A/D in a recorder is an expensive project (both of those recorders are in the thousands of dollars). 

Since I already have a (IMO) top notch A/D in my V3, I would rather have a digital input in a recorder over a high quality A/D.

qft

heli, you could record directly into your dap1
we all live downstream.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 02:36:08 AM »
most outboard adc's are better than the recorders adc.  also, if we recorded onto analog cassettes the need for adc's wouldn't be there, but since most people record to digital media, the need is there.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline HeliBass

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 01:09:08 AM »
 :) Thanks for the replys all!

I use a Korg d-16 multi tracker for recording from the board at our shows or to record bands for friends, but basically I am a noob especially to small recording rigs. I play the upright bass for a bluegrass band and participate in a lot of jams. There are always new songs being done and recording them allows for review and learning later. A year ago someone introduced me to a minidisc, I really liked it but was holding out for the new Hi-MD format so up and downloads could be done with a couple of mouse clicks. Then Sony did their usual encoding Atrac trick. They still haven't released a Wav converter! >:( On top of that, recorders that spin a disc are prone to vibration problems ( I was going to stick the recorder in a pocket on my bass bib and put the mic on the head) Then I find out about the Edirol R-1 and all I hear is it doesn't have Digital Inputs so every one is dissing it. But it sounds like it has good front end ADC's, so it should work well with just a mic or 2 and media price is going down all the time.

Any way, thats the story behind the question. Thanks for letting me ramble.

This board has been an amazing source of education. I think I am going to get a HDD based MP3/Wav player for listening to music, and an R-1 for recording, a couple of large capacity cards will let me download to a computer pretty quick for editing. I can record our sets from the board, rehersals from a mic or 2, stick it in my pocket with a couple of stealth mics for the ocasional show and not worry about it getting bumped, seems pretty versatile, and better than DAT for transfers. Sound will depend directly on the mics chosen and the unknown(at this time) ADCs

One other question:

John R- What do you mean by the following?
"heli, you could record directly into your dap1"

Blessings all
Keith

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 01:28:59 AM »
have you thought about a njb3?  fast transfers, record to wav, optical in if you feel like upgrading, and its also an mp3/wav player.  not to mention they're only $139 from the creative store on ebay.

a dap1 is a dat recorder with a pretty decent a>d, i do believe.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 12:03:58 PM »
But it sounds like it has good front end ADC's, so it should work well with just a mic or 2 and media price is going down all the time.

AFAIK no one has heard it yet, so it's impossible to tell just how good the A/D is in it.  It might be great, but more than likely it won't be...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 09:47:35 AM »

John R- What do you mean by the following?
"heli, you could record directly into your dap1"

Blessings all
Keith

not knowing your recording device, but if you wanted to keep it minimal and relatively cheap, the dap1 has phantom power and an onboard a/d
we all live downstream.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com