Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NEWB help: buying a laptop....want to make sure i get everything i will need  (Read 1860 times)

Offline millhouse412

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ahh-ooo-mmmm
I just want to make sure i get everything i ned to record and process music on it. What soundcard should i get and what type of interface will i need to make sure i can hook it up to a pre-amp (i think i am getting a ua-5). Also if anyone knows.... the ua-5 has a two outputs i beleive...so does this mean i can hook up my dat and computer both at the same time?? (i guess yes) anyhelp in my new laptop purchase would be helpful...

thanks
dan
Oktava Mk-012>Ua-5>(D8/Jb3)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Well heres what I have learned from my experience.

Before you purchase a laptop for taping look in to how difficult it is gonna be to power in the feild. Most laptops sold today will have more than enough specs to do 24Bit recording etc. The major issue most laptop folks have is POWER.

The easiest solution is to use the Valence N-Charge system mentioned in several threads on this board. Check the compatibily list prior to purchase of your laptop if that is the route you are leaning.

If you are gonna go with a UA-5 the internal soundcard of your lappy is a moot point really. You will want USB 2.0 for the UA-5  but other than that that will be the only thing you really need to interface mics to laptop.

Yes you can record USB to Laptop and COAX to DAT (if u run 24Bit/... the signal sent to the DAT will be truncated by the DAT but other than that will be fine)
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!

The easiest solution is to use the Valence N-Charge system mentioned in several threads on this board. Check the compatibily list prior to purchase of your laptop if that is the route you are leaning.

Actually, an even easier solution would be to get a laptop that excepts a secondary battery in its modular bay (like a dell).  That's what I just did. :)

If you are gonna go with a UA-5 the internal soundcard of your lappy is a moot point really. You will want USB 2.0 for the UA-5 but other than that that will be the only thing you really need to interface mics to laptop.

UA-5 is USB 1.1, a 2.0 port is not necessary.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline millhouse412

• Taperssection Regular
  • ahh-ooo-mmmm
so with the pre-amp the usb is good to transfer data to the laptop with out much reduction in quality?? so i just need to have a USB on the computer and im all set?? thats easy enough.

im not planning on running the laptop only...i have a D8 that i will use mostely i just wanted to have the option down the road, i might never even do it but its good to have another option.

thanks
dan
Oktava Mk-012>Ua-5>(D8/Jb3)

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
All you should need are mics -> ua-t (handles phantom power for the mics, gain (pre-amp), and adc) -> usb cable -> laptop with usb

Also some software to capture the real-time data stream coming from the ua-5.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
A stock UA5 will only output via USB unless you have it connected to a computer and run software that allows real-time monitoring (signal path would be source>ua5>compuer>ua5>DAT).

A modified ("digimod", "w-mod", "p-mod", "t-mod") UA5 will output USB, spdif coax, and optical simultaneously - no need for a computer or software monitoring.

You cannot run UA5>DAT (no computer) with a stock UA5 - it must be modified.  There are DIY instructions on this board somewhere.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com