Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 414 XLS  (Read 29822 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: AKG 414 XLS
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2005, 04:03:18 PM »
niceness moonpix :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2005, 05:18:11 PM »
go moonpix go!  Team AKG signs up another one. ;D
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2005, 06:09:22 PM »
go moonpix go!  Team AKG signs up another one. ;D

Awesome!  8)

More pics in the rig pictures section...

Offline krebsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2005, 09:12:28 AM »
I can't wait to hear 414's > T-mod!!   8)
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2005, 03:30:21 AM »
Okay, so I just came back from my first time using the 414's. Recorded three local bands at the coffee house on campus. Unfortunately, we didn't have the PA we normally use, and what we got instead was crappy. The sound was either not so good or disastrous... And there I was with the 414s... in the back of a boomy room.

Without typing a novel, the results sound kind of promising considering the substandard circumstances. I ran the mics DINa (hypercards), DIN (cards), and XY (cards). It's hard to tell what I prefer, given that it's anything but a perfect comparison. Plus, I might have screwed up and run xy with one mic set to card and the other to hyper... oops.  ::) Guess I'll have to do a lot more to find out what I like best. Don't know what I'll do at the Fillmore tomorrow, but I lean towards DINa or aiming hypers at the stacks, just to play it safe.

Fortunately, there were no issues with the laptop, USB, drivers, or the UA5. Even power consumption was not a problem. The 414s draw a lot, but after a little more than two hours, I still had all the lights on the UA-5 battery, which makes me feel a lot better. Now I'm wondering if I should recharge it a bit for tomorrow. (Will need about 2.5 hours.) Could that be a problem? Memory effect and all? What do you guys think? (This is the Energizer model that Oade sells.)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2005, 11:09:21 AM »
Well fellas I finally took the plunge and ordered my matched pr. from SS. Parker said it would probably take 4-5 weeks (fingers crossed)

Cant wait to give these puppies a run

Split Omnis rule your face
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 11:11:29 AM by Lower-Powered »

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2005, 10:06:37 PM »
Well fellas I finally took the plunge and ordered my matched pr. from SS. Parker said it would probably take 4-5 weeks (fingers crossed)

Cant wait to give these puppies a run

Split Omnis rule your face

QFT
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2005, 03:05:01 PM »
Tracking number indicates i will have a new set of mics Monday or Tuesday.

Just sitting here contemplating the posibilities. now how to expalin a new set of mics showing up to the GF. Whoops forgot to tell her :)
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2005, 03:08:46 PM »
Tracking number indicates i will have a new set of mics Monday or Tuesday.

Just sitting here contemplating the posibilities. now how to expalin a new set of mics showing up to the GF. Whoops forgot to tell her :)

you're dead d00d ;)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2005, 06:19:40 PM »
So the mics arrived and I lived :)

I was able to give them a trial run last wednesday at Charlie O's on 48th and Broadway (not the most ideal taping spot). My grilfriends Boss plays there every Wednesday night The Gerard Carelli Orchestra. I have never taped a "Big band" style of music so I figured it would be fun. So I get to the venue and I am setting up and get evrything just the way I want and realize I have NO BNC -> COAX adapter. UGH I was pretty bummed. So I caled rocksuitcase to ask if he knows where it is. He finds it with him (Albany NY). It is now roughly 7:59PM and I still have no BNC. So rocksuitcase hops online and finds me the closest Sam Ash (luckily on 47th and 8th I think it was) I sprinted over there and they were just closing. So I managed to get a BNC to COAX adapter and get back before they played the first note. :)

So from left to right the band was setup like this. Upright Piano, Drums, Elec. Bass, Elec. Guitar, Vocalist/trombone, Sax, trumpet, Sax in pretty much a straight line. Mics were setup just right of center about 15 - 20 ft away about 12ft up ( I was clamped to 2nd level railing). It took me about 1/2 of the 1st set to get the levels just right. Every time I thought I had it the drummer would do another roll and it would peak above 0. so I kept backing them down and he would do it again. So I finally got the gain turned down enough where the kick drum was hitting about roughly 4 in wavelab. Pretty much smooth sailing from there.

I am really loving the sound of these mics. This smooth / silky sound with EXTREME clarity. So easy to use.

I ran AKG 414 XLS/ST -> Grahman patten DMIC 20 (16/48) -> Vx Pocket 440 -> Sony Vaio -> Wavelab 5.0. Can't wait to run these at 24/48.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2005, 07:46:25 PM »
+T.  and you'll get another one from me in 12 hours for pulling off the athletic move of scooping up another cable before the store closed.

I have a digimod UA-5 too.  Approximately where did you set your levels?  11am or 1pm.  The sensitivity (23) is twice of your average mic (11).  I should have money this week to pick up another XLS.  Which will make 3 of us with them.  Of course, mine won't be matched, no biggie, since I'm taping all digital.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2005, 08:13:43 PM »
Unfortunately, I had the UA-5 and kindms was using my Graham Patten.  We had swapped pre amps and mics for a few weeks as I had more taping to do than he.  NOw that he has the 414's I think he needs the UA-5 back!!!!!
When is the exchange gonna be?  BKFST 05-20 Valentines?
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2005, 05:54:51 PM »
Yippee!  My 2nd C414B-XLS arrived today in the mail!  Just waiting for leegeddy's Bumblebees to arrive, hopefully tomorrow.  Gonna give the new upgrade a test run at the Allman Brothers show in Boca Raton, FL on Tuesday.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2005, 07:45:49 AM »
fwiw..
when I ran the Bumblebees w/my 414s, there was in instant improvment.  clarity!

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2005, 03:03:55 PM »
I ran my 414s for the Duo and Rana yesterday. Came out really nice. Will be in the kickdowns soon...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com