Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MK21 Sub Cards NOS = F*ckin' Beautiful  (Read 10024 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: MK21 Sub Cards NOS = F*ckin' Beautiful
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 05:06:18 PM »
btw..
my favorate mk21 source is GD 3-25-90.  But I have no idea how the mics were placed.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 05:27:40 PM »
glad to hear you dig them.....wish the TL's had a subcard setting because while I love my mk41's, getting schoeps caps now just hurts the bank....you have the mk2's? another cap I want to try....doug oade's favorite schoeps cap if I remember some of his posts...look forward to running omni's all weekend, short of a little blumline here and there to spics things up
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 05:30:20 PM by creekfreak »
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 09:33:04 PM »
I've only run them once, and it was in a perfect environment.  I just didn't like the way things wer laid out. 
Namely WSP 4-12-05.  I like the soundstange characteristics of the baffled 4060s I ran on the same stand much better.  The tone and balance of the mk21 NOS source is superb.  I just dont like the presentation.

I've run sub-cards on various stereo mics...all coincident, gazillions of times.
Thats the way I like it.  Instead of running a wide XY w/cards, I prefer the 90deg w/subs.  I dont know how the schoeps would sound this way.  I've always heard that they are harsh XY.  That is how I wanted to run them originaly, but I had the KWON bar at my disposal so I gave it a shot.  Wish I would have just ran the full bodies and went XY, jus to see.

I'm contemplating the Peluso sub-cards XY tonight for Charlie Hunter.  But I wanted to try the mics out ORTF and will probably stick w/the cards.  We'll see.  :)

seems like you would get too much bleed with the subcards run XY, esp @ 90º.  I would think you would need more included angle to get appropriate separation.

We ran XY  mk41's from the Tabernacle balcony for a Crowes show and I was very impressed with the results...  I think they get a bad wrap, but no one ever tries them out..

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 11:23:03 PM »
I've run sub-cards on various stereo mics...all coincident, gazillions of times.
Thats the way I like it.  Instead of running a wide XY w/cards, I prefer the 90deg w/subs.  I dont know how the schoeps would sound this way.  I've always heard that they are harsh XY.  That is how I wanted to run them originaly, but I had the KWON bar at my disposal so I gave it a shot.  Wish I would have just ran the full bodies and went XY, jus to see.

I'm contemplating the Peluso sub-cards XY tonight for Charlie Hunter.  But I wanted to try the mics out ORTF and will probably stick w/the cards.  We'll see.  :)

seems like you would get too much bleed with the subcards run XY, esp @ 90º.  I would think you would need more included angle to get appropriate separation.

We ran XY  mk41's from the Tabernacle balcony for a Crowes show and I was very impressed with the results...  I think they get a bad wrap, but no one ever tries them out..

Schoeps says don't run the wide-cards XY cuz you'll break 'em! OK, you won't break them but here's what they say & it's pretty much the same thing as wboswell:

"The low directivity of this microphone type prevents it from generating large enough level differences for X/Y use, though M/S and near-coincident spacings are often successful."  You're gonna trust your ears over Dr. Schoeps' ears?  That's just nuts, man.  ;)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2005, 08:14:08 PM »

Schoeps says don't run the wide-cards XY cuz you'll break 'em! OK, you won't break them but here's what they say & it's pretty much the same thing as wboswell:

"The low directivity of this microphone type prevents it from generating large enough level differences for X/Y use, though M/S and near-coincident spacings are often successful."  You're gonna trust your ears over Dr. Schoeps' ears?  That's just nuts, man.  ;)

"We ran XY  mk41's from the Tabernacle balcony for a Crowes show"

mk41's or mk21's?

Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2005, 10:33:54 AM »
one of the best MK21 tapes I have ever heard, drums sound unfuckinbelievable on this one!!!  :D

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=1363

Damn, that is nice! I've never heard the Steve Kimock Band before and I'm downloading this one for the road.   :P
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2005, 01:50:30 PM »
Here's my latest MK21 experience:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=14654
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline wolffman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2005, 01:53:55 PM »
my 21's arrive tomorrow.  I'll be happy to do some "Experimentation" with some shows.  I have an ortf and nos bar.  I'm thinking I'll do an fob show with one set ortf and the other set nos to see.  I'll do the same when I get on stage also...

i'll post what I find...

wolff

Offline wboswell

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2005, 11:30:25 AM »
I've got a ums20 bar that I'm going to experiment with another configuration for the wide cards: 17cm/130*.  I'm thinking this will give a very open sounding recording similar to an omni, but will image much better for far field use.  I'll report back results when available.

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2005, 01:45:16 PM »
So, is this the "Kwon" bar Robert was referring to and is going to call the "boss"? ;D

Offline wboswell

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2005, 02:46:23 PM »
So, is this the "Kwon" bar Robert was referring to and is going to call the "boss"? ;D

This is top secret information which cannot be discussed in open forums...

Offline hzgone

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2005, 03:05:36 PM »
cool, i will be runing mine for the first time this weekend

jon

i'm listening to jon's moe show from summercamp and it sounds awesome
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2005, 10:51:09 AM »
since running the 21s for the first time, at summer camp. i love the sound that they pull off.  one of my friends even compared them to last years tapes when i ran the 4s and he said that the 21s sound nicer.  i will probably be running them at red rocks as well as moe. down

jon
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com