Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In dash DVD-A player  (Read 4949 times)

Offline Wes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
In dash DVD-A player
« on: August 05, 2003, 04:45:03 PM »
Anybody seen a dvd-a player for the car yet?

Wes
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:In dash DVD-A player
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 09:19:56 PM »
No, but they do have FLAC players ... I wonder if those handle 24/96 files, even if they have to resample them. I'm sick of making CDs of my 24-bit stuff just for the car.

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 11:27:51 PM »
after some pretty extensive searching i found one:
http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/shop/NewDesign/ModelTemplate.asp?ModelId=15845&show_all=false&product_exists=True&active=1&ModelNo=CQ-DVR909U&CategoryId=2479

About the flac players:  i emailed kenwood about their music keg and they said they only support up to 24/44.  if it is at a higher sample rate it will be downsampled.

Wes

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 09:36:47 AM »
mmmm, surround sound in the car...

rabhan

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 08:15:59 AM »
keg kicks ass!

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 10:36:11 AM »
Ok lets think about this....  do we really need DVD-A in a car??  It's not the best place for his application from an acoustic standpoint and I think the cost will far exceed the benefit.   With all the road and wind noise I'm not sure all that would be worth it.  W/o the engine and sitting in a parking lot you might be able to hear the difference, but not while moving.

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 10:45:15 AM »
Well, what advantages will DVD-A bring versus CD?
Sounds like a similar argument could have been made for cassettes vs. CD...

I agree that surround sound in an automobile isn't worth the investment.

At the same time however, reducing the number of disc changes coupled with increased attention to the road could mean safer driving.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 10:47:05 AM by mirth »
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 10:49:11 AM »
Ok lets think about this....  do we really need DVD-A in a car??  It's not the best place for his application from an acoustic standpoint and I think the cost will far exceed the benefit.   With all the road and wind noise I'm not sure all that would be worth it.  W/o the engine and sitting in a parking lot you might be able to hear the difference, but not while moving.

So this is basically a question of will a  24/192 DVD-A sound better than a cd when in a non-ideal listening enviroment.  My answer-HELL YES!

As for cost there are 2 of the panasonic DVD-A players listed above on ebay for about $250.  I definately think that is worth it.

rabhan

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2003, 08:44:27 PM »
after some pretty extensive searching i found one:
http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/shop/NewDesign/ModelTemplate.asp?ModelId=15845&show_all=false&product_exists=True&active=1&ModelNo=CQ-DVR909U&CategoryId=2479

About the flac players:  i emailed kenwood about their music keg and they said they only support up to 24/44.  if it is at a higher sample rate it will be downsampled.

Wes

the keg will not play 24/44.1 flac files. all i get is silence. but it tracks and counts like music is there.

Offline jjjewett

• Taperssection Regular
  • brown trout
    • my website
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2003, 10:40:51 PM »
dvd-a + car = waste of money

john

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 08:45:41 AM »
I guess for $250 it is worth it, but when did DVD-A become 24/192???  All of mine are 24/96.  

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2003, 08:59:09 AM »
It looks like DVD-A can sample up to 192.

DVD-Audio, like the compact disc before it, is based on Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) digital audio technology. In this process, incoming analog audio is fed to an analog-to-digital converter that essentially measures ("samples") the instantaneous value of the signal and stores the result as a binary number: a "digital word." This is done tens of thousands of times a second – 44,100 samples per second in the case of the compact disc, and up to 96,000 or even 192,000 times per second for DVD-Audio. The more samples per second (the higher the "sample rate"), the better the quality – up to a point. In fact, we can’t really hear any significant difference above about 64,000 samples per second (a "sample rate" of 64 kHz), but the DVD-A sample rates of 88.2 and 96 kHz are simple multiples of the 44.1 and 48 kHz rates used in CD and DVD-Video, which means that converting between them is easier and sounds better. And MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing, the lossless compression system used in DVD-Audio) recovers much of the extra storage space needed by higher sample rates. Even so, it can be argued that sampling at 192 kHz is a complete waste of time.

PCM stores each sample as a digital word a certain number of binary digits ("bits") in length. Up to a point, the number of bits determines the noise floor and dynamic range of the digital system, and in some cases the amount of detail you can capture. The compact disc format uses 16-bit words to give a noise floor at about –96 dB. DVD-Video generally uses 20-bit words. And DVD-A can use up to 24-bit words. Above about 22-24 bits, there is no point in adding bits, as the noise floor of the system is below the threshold of thermal noise and other effects. A true 24-bit converter, for example, would give a noise floor of –144 dB, and apart from the fact that you can’t realistically do anything with a –144 dB noise floor, no one can make components that quiet anyway: most 24-bit converters are hard pressed to reach –120dB. So 24 bits is more than enough.

This all means that the general sample rate and word length used in DVD-Audio surround recordings today – 24 bits, 96 kHz sampling – is just about right for high quality PCM.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com